General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Dont have the time to read the entire thread. Will somebody summarize it? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:02 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
No, I am not confused, I have been saying consistently, that counter-steering is used to change the lean angle.

If you think about what you just said, that counter-steering creates(changes) lean, then it should be obvious to you that you cannot counter-steer continuously or you will lean yourself right into the ground.
No, you are still confused and wrong. If you were an actual motorcycle rider, you would completely understand what I have been telling you. I am convinced at this point that your only experience on two wheels is a bicycle.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:04 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by soft 02
Dont have the time to read the entire thread. Will somebody summarize it? Thanks.
To be fair, this thread is not about counter-steering as you might surmise from the thread title. It is actually about MikerR1 trying to convince everyone on this board that they do not know what counter-steering is, based on his own flawed understanding of a Wikipedia article on the subject. If you came to this thread looking to gain some understanding about what counter-steering is, you can find some pretty good info, but it is buried in 90 pages of *****.

The following users liked this post:
soft 02 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:07 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
That is not counter-steering. It is called "turning into the slide".
No. Its counter-steering. And I am equally convinced that you are one of the ones who is mistaking pressure required to maintain a constant lean with counter-steering.

That’s right, nothing. Don’t react. Nine times out of 10, the bike will simply correct itself. If you allow it to. If you close the throttle too quickly, you run the risk of the rear tire regaining traction too quickly, potentially causing a high-side while also shifting the motorcycle’s weight balance forwards, exacerbating the slide itself. If you counter-steer too much, you risk over-correction. Believe it or not, but a bike’s trail will actually cause it to naturally steer into a slide for you. And if you hit the brakes? Well, applying the front brake would likely cause the sliding rear to overtake the front wheel and applying the rear would likely lock that tire, cutting the gyroscopic stability it lends the machine and thereby increasing the odds the bike will end up on the ground.
https://rideapart.com/articles/save-motorcycle-slide

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:13 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

No. Its counter-steering.
No, it is not. BTW, your quote confirms what I said: "turning into a slide".

And I am equally convinced that you are one of the ones who is mistaking pressure required to maintain a constant lean with counter-steering.
Your opinion on the subject has zero value.

Last edited by keith_stepp; 10-24-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:14 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

No, it is not.

Your opinion on the subject has zero value.
Yes it is counter-steering. If you keep making statements like you just made your opinion is going to have zero value as well.

I did not give you my opinion. I quoted an article which I am sure you did not read. I am going to give you the quote again.

That’s right, nothing. Don’t react. Nine times out of 10, the bike will simply correct itself. If you allow it to. If you close the throttle too quickly, you run the risk of the rear tire regaining traction too quickly, potentially causing a high-side while also shifting the motorcycle’s weight balance forwards, exacerbating the slide itself. If you counter-steer too much, you risk over-correction. Believe it or not, but a bike’s trail will actually cause it to naturally steer into a slide for you. And if you hit the brakes? Well, applying the front brake would likely cause the sliding rear to overtake the front wheel and applying the rear would likely lock that tire, cutting the gyroscopic stability it lends the machine and thereby increasing the odds the bike will end up on the ground.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:17 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Mods,and I think I speak for everyone. Please stab this thread!

Jay Guild (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:20 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

I did not give you my opinion.
Yes, you did.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:21 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Yes, you did.
Here is the quote for the third time...

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:23 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Here is the quote for the third time...
Quote it 100 more times for all I care. You will still be wrong and your opinion worthless.

rjg883c (10-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Counter-steering