General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
What is this thread up to now... 80 pages? lol

Dude. You are still wrong.

So, I haven't caught up with all of the posts since my last one to the most recent and I won't. But, I thought I would take a moment and just say that...

Counter-steering is used to maintain lean angle in most situations, not all, but most. It seems to me that you are confused by the word "steering" in the term "counter-steering". Counter-steering does not "steer", it creates lean and leaning steers the bike.
No, I am not confused, I have been saying consistently, that counter-steering is used to change the lean angle.

If you think about what you just said, that counter-steering creates(changes) lean, then it should be obvious to you that you cannot counter-steer continuously or you will lean yourself right into the ground.

The simple fact of the matter is counter-steering has to to momentary. It cannot be anything but momentary. When you are counter-steerig the bike is unstable and out of balance. You have to turn into the lean to re-stabilize the bike.

If you are counter-steering to initiate a turn, the simple fact is, you cannot do it for a long period because if you do you end up on the ground. If you counter steer in the turn the same physics apply, it has to me "momentary", otherwise you lowside.

If you are in a turn and holding pressure on the inside bar to maintain your lean, you can slowly release the pressure to slowly upright the bike. Each time you release pressure, you are "momentarily" counter-steering. If you release the pressure all at once the bike will immediately upright.

The word "momentary" is in the definition of counter-steering because counter-steering cannot be anything other than "momentary". I take that back, you can counter-steer for periods more than "momentary" but you are going to counter-steer yourself right into the ground (lowside or highside) if you do.

When you lean angle is constant you are not counter-steering. You counter-steer to change you lean angle.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
No, I am not confused, I have been saying consistently, that counter-steering is used to change the lean angle.

If you think about what you just said, that counter-steering creates(changes) lean, then it should be obvious to you that you cannot counter-steer continuously or you will lean yourself right into the ground.

The simple fact of the matter is counter-steering has to to momentary. It cannot be anything but momentary. When you are counter-steerig the bike is unstable and out of balance. You have to turn into the lean to re-stabilize the bike.

If you are counter-steering to initiate a turn, the simple fact is, you cannot do it for a long period because if you do you end up on the ground. If you counter steer in the turn the same physics apply, it has to me "momentary", otherwise you lowside.

If you are in a turn and holding pressure on the inside bar to maintain your lean, you can slowly release the pressure to slowly upright the bike. Each time you release pressure, you are "momentarily" counter-steering. If you release the pressure all at once the bike will immediately upright.

The word "momentary" is in the definition of counter-steering because counter-steering cannot be anything other than "momentary". I take that back, you can counter-steer for periods more than "momentary" but you are going to counter-steer yourself right into the ground (lowside or highside) if you do.

When you lean angle is constant you are not counter-steering. You counter-steer to change you lean angle.
So you are saying is that in a fast continuous right turn we don't turn slightly left to prevent high siding or turn right in a left turn for the same reason? Obviously you still haven't gone for a ride and looked at your triple clamp during a fast turn. In this case you don't "You counter-steer to change you lean angle", you counter-steer to prevent a highside. And it is not "monentary". Unless, such as with 'counter steering', you have your own definition of 'momentary'.

Do you really not understand centrifugal force?

Troll.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-24-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

91 pages on a motorcycle forum debating the technicalities of steering a motorcycles. I understand counter steering but have never sat and tried to dissect it. What's the point?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:40 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,202 Likes on 3,743 Posts

Originally Posted by rhythm1978
91 pages on a motorcycle forum debating the technicalities of steering a motorcycles. I understand counter steering but have never sat and tried to dissect it. What's the point?
Conversation starter?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 AM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by rjg883c
So you are saying is that in a fast continuous right turn we don't turn slightly left to prevent high siding or turn right in a left turn for the same reason? Obviously you still haven't gone for a ride and looked at your triple clamp during a fast turn. In this case you don't "You counter-steer to change you lean angle", you counter-steer to prevent a highside. And it is not "monentary". Unless, such as with 'counter steering', you have your own definition of 'momentary'.

Do you really not understand centrifugal force?

Troll.
As bwoltz pointed out, if you are in a turn, your wheel is going to be pointed to the inside if you are not counter-steering.

I did not mean to imply that you cannot counter-steer to prevent a high side or low side. "Momentary" means for as long as necessary to fix the problem.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 AM
MikerR1
Banned

Just listen to the first 10 seconds of this video and you will understand why it has gone on for 90 pages.

"Counter steering is an interesting and often misunderstood topic in the motorcycle world..."

Three words in that description have kept this thread going, the word "interesting" and the words "often misunderstood"

Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

As bwoltz pointed out, if you are in a turn your wheel is going to be pointed to the inside if you are not counter-steering.

I did not mean to imply that you cannot counter-steer to prevent a high side or low side. "Momentary" means for as long as necessary to fix the problem.
Apparently neither you nor bwoltz has gone for a ride and looked down at your triple clamp during a high speed turn. During a low speed turn 'your wheel is going to be pointed to the inside because there is no need to counter steer in order to prevent high sides'. Again perhaps you have a different definition of "momentary"

What is your definition? This could all be ended if you simply went for a ride?

Actually I discovered this process back in the '60s, long before hearing the term 'countersteer'.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Apparently neither you nor bwoltz has gone for a ride and looked down at your triple clamp during a high speed turn. During a low speed turn 'your wheel is going to be pointed to the inside because there is no need to counter steer in order to prevent high sides. Again perhaps you have a different definition of "momentary"

What is your definition? This could all be ended if you simply went for a ride?

Actually I discovered this process back in the '60s, long before hearing the term 'countersteer'.
I gave you my definition of "Momentary".

I also gave you a whole bunch of pictures of motorcycles in fast turns. Here they are again.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lean...w=1195&bih=807

Why don't you film what you are talking about and post the video. As you say, you cannot tell anything from a still photograph.

The direction this wheel is pointing seems to contradict what you have been saying and support what bwoltz is saying. Frankly, this picture makes sense. I love this picture.

I love this picture too

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,741 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Mental masturbation

Ghost

Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Why don't you film what you are talking about and post the video. As you say, you cannot tell anything from a still photograph.

So you don't really ride? Troll.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering