General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016 | 10:09 AM
CJsmitty
Cruiser

So after years of not being on this forum I decided to come back because I enjoy the information from those that have been riding longer and have many more miles behind them. I always learn something and I have been riding and racing dirt bikes for 30+ years. Well racing DB is just part of my war stories at this point. LOL
But, I have to say that the number of threads that degrade into name calling and macho bullshit are a bit much. One of the things that I have always loved about riding is that it was always a bond between other riders. I won't say club out of respect for the real MCs but you know what I mean.
None of that here. At least for more than a few posts.

Ok have at it - I fully expect what will most likely be said back to this.

Old 10-23-2016 | 10:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
You said

"The front wheel has to be turned to the inside for the bike to turn and keep balance at the same time."

Do you mean to the inside of the curve rather than the outside of the curve?
Not sure what curve you are talking about but the statement really means that the wheel is turned into the corner and following the radius of the turn.. Tire contact will be outside the center gravity (CG) radius. The point was that the front wheel is no longer counter-steering but is turned in the corner. It won't be tighter than the radius of the corner of the CG radius..(except possibly at the exit to bring the tire contact patches back under the CG)

All counter-steer does is upset the balance of the motorcycle/rider so it falls over. As the motorcycles falls, you turn into corner to balance the centrifugal force of the turn with the horizontal force caused by the offset of the CG from the tire contact patches.. This is all simple physics and balancing of horizontal force vectors to keep the bike from falling over or high siding.

Old 10-23-2016 | 10:25 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Actually, and I just realized this, when you take the pressure off the bars you are counter-steering because you are changing the lean angle. If you are in a stable lean and you take the pressure off the bars, that is counter-steering..

So what you are saying is that when you are going through a turn, you are counter-steering through the whole turn.

You are either counter-steering to initiate more bike lean/turn or
You are counter-steering to initiate less lean/turn

It's such a fine line from the bike leaning one way or the other that at most times, you don't feel or notice the changes after the initial bar input.

Old 10-23-2016 | 10:38 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Boz
It's such a fine line from the bike leaning one way or the other that at most times, you don't feel or notice the changes after the initial bar input.
Good point. This even applies to going straight. There are street imperfections, wind effects, etc. that cause a need for regular course(direction) changes. And as you post, these changes are so small that "you don't feel or notice the changes".

Old 10-23-2016 | 11:08 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Good point. This even applies to going straight. There are street imperfections, wind effects, etc. that cause a need for regular course(direction) changes. And as you post, these changes are so small that "you don't feel or notice the changes".
True, the front tire is constantly "oscillating" left/right, just to maintain balance, even going arrow straight. This is required on an unstable, single track vehicle, regardless of side winds, or counter-steering, or "regular" steering or any other input or speed.
I see what the OP is trying to get across. While a bit convoluted, he does have a point. One must think about what the motorcycle needs to do to achieve certain movements.

Old 10-23-2016 | 11:40 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Apparently the bank angle sensor affects EFI operation if the outside temperature drops. Cold tires etc

Old 10-23-2016 | 11:46 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Not sure what curve you are talking about but the statement really means that the wheel is turned into the corner and following the radius of the turn.. Tire contact will be outside the center gravity (CG) radius. The point was that the front wheel is no longer counter-steering but is turned in the corner. It won't be tighter than the radius of the corner of the CG radius..(except possibly at the exit to bring the tire contact patches back under the CG)

All counter-steer does is upset the balance of the motorcycle/rider so it falls over. As the motorcycles falls, you turn into corner to balance the centrifugal force of the turn with the horizontal force caused by the offset of the CG from the tire contact patches.. This is all simple physics and balancing of horizontal force vectors to keep the bike from falling over or high siding.
This is a very good post and I do not want it to get lost.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15618214

Old 10-23-2016 | 12:07 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

When you turn the handlebars to the right the tire quickly goes to the right but your center of gravity does not move so fast. Now you have the tires touching the ground to your right. Guess what? Your motorcycle is now leaning to the left and your are turning to the left.
Countersteering is counter intuitive. (turn the handlebars to the right to go left?!?) Many motorcyclists that have been riding for years countersteer and don't even know they are doing it.
You can turn very fast if you countersteer (but countersteering does not have to be done fast)

Last edited by Durango Dave; 10-23-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2016 | 12:29 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

If my passenger isn't perfectly symmetrical up top (if you know what I mean), will I have to adjust my lean angles to compensate?

Old 10-23-2016 | 12:53 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjjj629
If my passenger isn't perfectly symmetrical up top (if you know what I mean), will I have to adjust my lean angles to compensate?
No, some women do have one breast that may be a little bigger than the other. It is not necessary to compensate when they ride on the back of your cycle.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering