General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016 | 08:04 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Quote from the Wikipedia article that the OP cites as gospel:
Motorcycles
Even more so than on a bicycle, deliberately countersteering is essential for safe motorcycle riding, and as a result is a part of the safe riding courses run by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the Canada Safety Council. Deliberately countersteering a motorcycle is a much more efficient way to steer than to just lean. At higher speeds the self-balancing property of the bike gets stronger, and more force must be applied to the handlebars.
Well I can see you are reading the article and skipping over the important stuff and cherry picking the things that you think support your position.

You also did not post the chart that is in that same article. And you completely ignored the definition of counter-steering that the article is using and which is the part of the MSF courses that you refer to. So I am going to provide the definition of counter-steering that is stated in the very first line of the article.

Countersteering is used by single-track vehicle operators, such as cyclists and motorcyclists, to initiate a turn toward a given direction by momentarily steering counter to the desired direction ("steer left to turn right").
Notice the use of the word "momentarily" in the definition. And look at the diagram, notice the use of a "momentary" counter-steer there as well.

Now lets go back to my quote that you published in your post. In my quote I said your method of "continuous counter-steering".

MSF teaches the Look, Lean and Roll method. The Lean is implemented as a momentary counter-steer upon entry into the curve. While holding the lean, you then roll on the throttle to maintain a constant speed through the turn.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-22-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2016 | 08:12 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member

Good luck OP, safe riding to you.

Old 10-22-2016 | 08:14 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Right. I'm not going to bother pointing out all the stuff you've cherry picked and ignored for the last week plus. It's all just a word game for you now, since your earlier positions were thoroughly and completely debunked.

Also from your sacred Wiki:
'The scientific literature does not provide a clear and comprehensive definition of countersteering. In fact, "a proper distinction between steer torque and steer angle ... is not always made."'

Like I said, word games.

Old 10-22-2016 | 08:14 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by RaSh
Good luck OP, safe riding to you.
There is a lot of good information in my response to you. I hope it did not fall on deaf ears.

Old 10-22-2016 | 08:19 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Right. I'm not going to bother pointing out all the stuff you've cherry picked and ignored for the last week plus. It's all just a word game for you now, since your earlier positions were thoroughly and completely debunked.

Also from your sacred Wiki:
'The scientific literature does not provide a clear and comprehensive definition of countersteering. In fact, "a proper distinction between steer torque and steer angle ... is not always made."'

Like I said, word games.
Oh, you are not cherry picking my statements? Come on, that is all you are doing.

No it is not word games, that is the cop out that Idaho tried to use.

Nothing has been debunked. If it was I would not be posting.

There is a lot of good information in my last post.

I am tired today and I do not want to get into a back and forth with you and I do not want to deal with your extremely rude posts. So don't make me put you back on ignore.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-22-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2016 | 08:23 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
There is a lot of good information in my response to you. I hope it did not fall on deaf ears.
You are quite correct in surmising that much good information is falling on deaf ears.

Old 10-22-2016 | 08:26 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

You are quite correct in surmising that much good information is falling on deaf ears.
I tried to reply to you in a way that sent a signal that I understood what you were trying to say.

I think the problem is... I think I am giving good information and you think you are giving good information. Maybe we both are giving good information.

I am giving the information in the way I like to think about it and you are giving the information in the way you like to think about it. But we are not communicating. I think it is because we are using different concepts and vocabularies to communicate.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-22-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2016 | 08:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

I think the problem is... I think I am giving good information and you think you are giving good information. Maybe we both are giving good information.

no, really, I don't think so.

Old 10-22-2016 | 09:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Let me suggest what the diagram may be implying.

Look at the verbiage on the diagram for clues that the originator MAY have been trying to convey.

As you Enter the curve the diagram lists TURN IN which to me implies an active rotation (Counter-steer) to set up for the curve.

The next section REDUCE to me implies that a course correction and stabilization takes place once the curve is set up and underway.
The next section which the OP seemingly does not understand, or is screwing with everyone with, is labeled STABLE LEAN ANGLE and INCREASING THROTTLE.

STABLE LEAN ANGLE is a steady "Perfect" counter-steer position to set your course through the "Perfect" corner.
Experienced riders realize that this seldom is the case and minute corrections are made in real life most times but we also know that if you are turning right to are pushing on the right side of the handle bar if you are traveling at speed.
I've not read through all of this and most of it is right on but,,, the perfect counter-steer is not counter. The front wheel has to be turned to the inside for the bike to turn and keep balance at the same time. (exception would be sliding the tires or "drifting") Also the turn has to be tightened in reference to the radius of the curve at the end of the curve to bring the wheels back under the center of gravity.. (accelerating out of the turn can do the same thing)

Old 10-22-2016 | 11:07 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

I always slow down when I go into a curve. I really have not been counter-steering. I thought I was counter steering because I was pushing DOWN on the handlebars, not forward. Its OK. I love going out there and practicing stuff like this.
Anyone who has ever ridden a bicycle has instinctively counter steered. If you've ridden your motorcycle on an interstate, you've counter steered.

Another member guessed you might not even own a bike...Good guess.

I'm too lazy to read 800 responses...I'm going with Troll.

This reminds me of "Downshifting, does anyone else use this technique?" or
"Who actually uses their front brake?"

Quick Reply: Counter-steering