General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016 | 11:21 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member

This is like a train-wreck that you go out of your way to drive past in your travels, you can't help yourself and you just keep returning to observe.

I kept resisting getting involved, but perhaps a fresh perspective can get through after so many well thought out response have tried.
There have been a multitude of good responses that the OP keeps twisting in his/her obsession to be the ONLY one who is right (In his/her mind.)

Let me offer a couple of thoughts on the two images put up seemingly 100 times by the OP.

1st, the picture that seems to depict the cyclist turning his wheel into the turn.

We don't know enough about what is going on in that picture or what happens before or after the instant shown, but one simple possibility is that the image is taken exactly as the rider is emerging the turn and is now correcting the counter steer to right the bike and go down the straightaway.

We just don't know and cannot tell from that single image.

Now, the much displayed PERFECT CORNER diagram, and most likely the perfect corner seldom exists, you do counter steer through the turn, period.

Let me suggest what the diagram may be implying.

Look at the verbiage on the diagram for clues that the originator MAY have been trying to convey.

As you Enter the curve the diagram lists TURN IN which to me implies an active rotation (Counter-steer) to set up for the curve.

The next section REDUCE to me implies that a course correction and stabilization takes place once the curve is set up and underway.
The next section which the OP seemingly does not understand, or is screwing with everyone with, is labeled STABLE LEAN ANGLE and INCREASING THROTTLE.

STABLE LEAN ANGLE is a steady "Perfect" counter-steer position to set your course through the "Perfect" corner.
Experienced riders realize that this seldom is the case and minute corrections are made in real life most times but we also know that if you are turning right to are pushing on the right side of the handle bar if you are traveling at speed.

OP if you really have a bike and can do a road test, I'll suggest that you put a pointer of some sort on the triple tree that is very close to a line on a stable part of your bike, perhaps a tape with a line on it on your tank.
Do a quick test to verify that the pointer and line mark are in alignment when you are going straight, then negotiate YOUR perfect corner and speed and if you can safely do so, periodically glance down to see if the pointer and line mark are in alignment as you negotiate your perfect corner at speed.

Don't be surprised to find that your pointer and marker are not precisely aligned when you do so.
If you are going through a corner at speed you are doing some countersteer unless you are correcting your cornering.

If there are "tricks" used by professionals on a track that do differently I don't know them and like others I have 45+ years of varying amount of riding behind me.

Be careful, and good luck if you actually intend to prove this to yourself.

But good grief this has been a painful thread to watch.

Old 10-22-2016 | 11:52 AM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

This has to be the record here at HD Forums.

Almost 900 posts and I have no doubt that it will be 9,000 posts if people keep repeating themselves as does the op.

This guy is either the dumbest rider (and I use that term loosely) in motorcycle history or the best troll ever.

Sorry op, but if you don't get it by now you never will.

Old 10-22-2016 | 12:10 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

I washed my lawnmower today

Old 10-22-2016 | 12:17 PM
blue flht
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjjj629
What kind of oil do you use in it?

Old 10-22-2016 | 12:17 PM
sire86
Tourer

I counter steered today, I think...

Attached Thumbnails Counter-steering-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-2016 | 12:33 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by rjjj629
When you were hosing it off, did you move the hose nozzle clockwise or counterclockwise?

Sorry, that's wrong.

The following users liked this post:
rjjj629 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016 | 12:45 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

So, I think I might be confused...could someone please explain counter-steering to me just one more time?

:icon_sl ap:

Old 10-22-2016 | 01:01 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I found some pictures to help clear this up.

The following users liked this post:
SBRob (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016 | 01:06 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Old 10-22-2016 | 01:34 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hippie49
This has to be the record here at HD Forums.

Almost 900 posts and I have no doubt that it will be 9,000 posts if people keep repeating themselves as does the op.

This guy is either the dumbest rider (and I use that term loosely) in motorcycle history or the best troll ever.

Sorry op, but if you don't get it by now you never will.
Winner winner - chicken dinner, you could have just stopped right there

Quick Reply: Counter-steering