General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016 | 05:50 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

You folk do realize that different bikes will have different feels to them. A race type bike will have a different rake and trail than a touring bike will. So they will react differently to the same inputs. Also consider handlebar placements, clip-ons, to ape hangers is the range. all are slightly different.

Old 10-12-2016 | 05:54 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Old 10-12-2016 | 07:17 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer

And there is a LOT more to it than just counter-steering...you need to look "through" the turn, you need to apply pressure with your inner thigh/foot peg, you need to move your body in the direction of the turn....its more than just sitting straight up in front of the bars and "pushing" them.

Best advice I have been given is try to "kiss your mirrors" when you are leaning into a turn...basically if you move your head towards your mirror (on the side you are turning into) the rest will pretty much take care of itself...all the while applying pressure to the bars in direction you are turning...

Also, to turn tighter you ACCELERATE, not hit the brakes...when you feel you may not make the turn you need to actually give it gas so it will unload the front end and you will actually get tighter turn radius...yeah, it goes against ALL your reflexes...but if you practice it will become 2nd nature...

My MSF course was preaching Look, Lean, Roll

Look - look thorugh the turn
Lean - get the proper lean angle, lean your body inwards
Roll - roll onto the throttle...

Old 10-12-2016 | 07:20 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Riding a motorcycle sounds way more complicated than just wearing a vest to the dealer nights and taking the truck.

Old 10-12-2016 | 07:26 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
When you push right to go right, you are moving the front tire contact patch to the left, which then causes the motorcycle to fall in the opposite direction. That's how the rake and trail geometry work.
Thanks.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-12-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2016 | 07:28 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Riding a motorcycle sounds way more complicated than just wearing a vest to the dealer nights and taking the truck.
LOLZ....yeah...I mean if the guy has been riding he should already know most of this....trying to hash out how to ride and saying that us explaining someone what counter-steering is on a forum is dangerous is kind of ridiculous...just go out and ride the thing and actually look at what you are doing...if you successfully maneuvered any turn over 30 mph you have already counter-steered but didnt realize what you were doing...so pay attention to what you are doing and quit worrying about if your brand new Harley emblazoned leather Jacket, Chaps, Boots, Helmet, and gloves look cool or not....:-D

Old 10-12-2016 | 07:32 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
And there is a LOT more to it than just counter-steering...you need to look "through" the turn, you need to apply pressure with your inner thigh/foot peg, you need to move your body in the direction of the turn....its more than just sitting straight up in front of the bars and "pushing" them.

Best advice I have been given is try to "kiss your mirrors" when you are leaning into a turn...basically if you move your head towards your mirror (on the side you are turning into) the rest will pretty much take care of itself...all the while applying pressure to the bars in direction you are turning...

Also, to turn tighter you ACCELERATE, not hit the brakes...when you feel you may not make the turn you need to actually give it gas so it will unload the front end and you will actually get tighter turn radius...yeah, it goes against ALL your reflexes...but if you practice it will become 2nd nature...

My MSF course was preaching Look, Lean, Roll

Look - look thorugh the turn
Lean - get the proper lean angle, lean your body inwards
Roll - roll onto the throttle...
If you filmed a bike going right around a traffic circle,from a car in front of the bike so we can see both the lean of the bike and the direction of the front tire, which direction would the front tire be pointed? Would it be pointed left, would it be pointed right or would it be in line with the bike?

Old 10-12-2016 | 07:39 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
LOLZ....yeah...I mean if the guy has been riding he should already know most of this....trying to hash out how to ride and saying that us explaining someone what counter-steering is on a forum is dangerous is kind of ridiculous...just go out and ride the thing and actually look at what you are doing...if you successfully maneuvered any turn over 30 mph you have already counter-steered but didnt realize what you were doing...so pay attention to what you are doing and quit worrying about if your brand new Harley emblazoned leather Jacket, Chaps, Boots, Helmet, and gloves look cool or not....:-D
The way counter-steering is currently explained (anywhere even in the MSF course) is not complete. Something is lacking. For instance, do we counter-steer through the entire curve? If so, does that mean that our front tire is always pointed in the opposite direction to the direction the bike is actually going? Or do we just counter steer to lean the bike in the direction we want to lean and then we steer our wheel in the direction we are going. And how in the world could just "looking in the direction we want to go" cause us to steer in the right direction? We have to steer the bike and steering and looking are two totally different things.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-12-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2016 | 07:43 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Op, don't overthink this stuff. Just like recommended, get out there and practice it. Every highway you ride will present its own different set of challenges. Not to be critical of you, but almost sounds like a bit of confidence issue in yourself at times. Got to overcome it man. This could even come from a bike handling concern. Make certain it's well squared away.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride

Old 10-12-2016 | 07:48 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Taggs
Op, don't overthink this stuff. Just like recommended, get out there and practice it. Every highway you ride will present its own different set of challenges. Not to be critical of you, but almost sounds like a bit of confidence issue in yourself at times. Got to overcome it man. This could even come from a bike handling concern. Make certain it's well squared away.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride
I rode a 100 miles this past weekend. I love riding my bike. But, and this is a big BUT, I know you should never take anything for granted on a motorcycle. And, I am a bit of a nerd and I like to understand things, and quite franckly, counter-steering through a curve is a hard concept to explain. It is harder to explain that it is to do. I think, that it can be explained better (even in the MSF courses). As I said, when I took the course, I thought they wanted us to press DOWN on the handlebar not forward. I am sure I am not the only one who misinterpreted this.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering