General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:53 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Yeah, I have mini-apes and never really thought about the fact I can't lean too far over due to reach either.
Understood.

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:58 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by martinj
Wow. Please tell me what this has to do with actually riding a bike. Of course this isn't actually countersteering (although you're making the same physical input), because the bike isn't actually moving forward, and the bike is locked into place--the bike is static, even though the rear tire is spinning. IF THE BIKE ISN'T MOVING FORWARD, YOU CAN"T F***ING STEER THE BIKE. Cheez.....
Ok, lets design the experiment differently

Lets pretend we have a motorcycle that is going 50 mph on the highway on a straight away. And let suppose that the fork lock breaks and prevents the wheel from turning left or right. You want to turn left. You push the left bar as hard as you can. Did you counter steer?

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:05 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

If the fork lock breaks isn't the fork unlockable ? Thus your theory is flushed down the toilet

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:06 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Of course this isn't actually countersteering (although you're making the same physical input), because the bike isn't actually moving forward,
He know's this, as well as knows what I was meaning, he's just being a troll.

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Counter-steering is not the pushing of the handlebar forward.
Again, semantics. I'm pretty sure you knew that I didn't mean counter-steering is pushing the handlebar, but rather pushing the handlebar is how you initiate/hold a counter-steer. So much so, that most people understand what is meant by calling the action of pressing the bar forward "counter-steering" because the end result of the bike when you are moving, is counter-steering. Most people are smart enough to understand that communication is more than just the mere specific words used. You are not demonstrating the presence of comprehension in your communication skills.

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:09 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
He know's this, as well as knows what I was meaning, he's just being a dick.

Again, semantics. I'm pretty sure you knew that I didn't mean counter-steering is pushing the handlebar, but rather pushing the handlebar is how you initiate/hold a counter-steer. So much so, that most people understand what is meant by calling the action of pressing the bar forward "counter-steering" because the end result of the bike when you are moving, is counter-steering. Most people are smart enough to understand that communication is more than just the mere specific words used. You are not demonstrating the presence of comprehension in your communication skills.
No, most people actually misunderstand what is meant by counter-steer. That is one of the many things that I have learned in this thread. Holding pressure on the bars in a turn does not necessarily mean you are counter-steering. That is a misunderstanding.

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:10 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Why do you guys keep entertaining this idiot? I just don't get it.

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:11 PM
martinj
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Lets pretend we have a motorcycle that is going 50 mph on the highway on a straight away. And let suppose that the fork lock breaks and prevents the wheel from turning left or right. You want to turn left. You push the left bar as hard as you can. Did you counter steer?
Let's pretend you're the one on said bike. You're gonna fricken' crash, buddy.....

And, no, you didn't countersteer. You attempted to countersteer. And since you were so preoccupied with countersteering on a straight section of road and forgot to roll off the throttle and brake lightly to a stop, you're now what we refer to as roadkill.

Edit: My wife has only been riding since June, and she already has all this **** figured out.......

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:12 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Gotcha. The point I would make, though, is the rider in the video isn't keeping his body upright out of choice; the height of his bars is preventing him from getting his upper body down into the proper lean angle with the bike. If he could lean his whole body more, he wouldn't need to lean the bike as much, and wouldn't be scraping the pavement nearly so much.

So, what you're saying is he can do that good with it improperly set up, imagine how much better he could be doing with it right.

Old 10-21-2016 | 05:13 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Let's pretend you're the one on said bike. You're gonna fricken' crash, buddy.....

And, no, you didn't countersteer. You attempted to countersteer. And since you were so preoccupied with countersteering on a straight section of road and forgot to roll off the throttle and brake lightly to a stop, you're now what we refer to as roadkill.
No. You did not counter steer because the front wheel never did turn to the right to initiate a lean to the left.

The counter-steer is not the pressure, in order to counter-steer the front wheel has to cross over.

What this means is that just because you hold pressure on the inside bar in a turn, it does not mean you are counter steering, you may just be maintaining the current lean angle. It takes pressure to do both, but to counter steer you have to exert enough pressure to get the front wheel to cross over.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-21-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2016 | 05:16 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Let's design the experiment even more differently

Lets pretend we have a motorcycle that is going 950 mph on the highway on a straight away. And lets suppose that there are flames coming out of the exhaust 900 feet back. You want to ascend vertically off the seat like superman, but when you push the methane out, you explode in a great ball of fire when the methane hits the flames. Did you ascend?

Quick Reply: Counter-steering