General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:04 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
What do you mean how you do the action? You push the inside bar forward. And yes I ride a softail and before that a wide glide.
I pull the outside bar back. Helps me keep my upper body upright while I lean the bike.

Originally Posted by paoloD
Who the hell would buy a motorcycle that you had to steer in the opposite direction ? Sounds dumb to me
LOL

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:12 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I pull the outside bar back. Helps me keep my upper body upright while I lean the bike.
Just curious, why would you want your upper body upright? The more upright you keep your body, the more you need to lean the bike in a corner.

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:12 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

All this talk of counter steering has made me counter productive today. Now I have to work OT and finish this job off. Thanks the government is gonna love this

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:21 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Then why don't you stop being so obtuse? You know exactly what he's talking about, yet you continue to play dumb.

Have you considered the idea that perhaps he's not playing?

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:25 PM
martinj
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Have you considered the idea that perhaps he's not playing?
I'm seriously considering it. I'm actually leaning (with countersteer--) pretty hard in that direction....

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:31 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Just curious, why would you want your upper body upright? The more upright you keep your body, the more you need to lean the bike in a corner.
I'm still getting used to the lean angles vs speed and curve angle. I've only really been riding for about three years and I am getting more comfortable getting around the corners with the speed but if my head doesn't stay above my center of gravity it throws me off so if I'm going to hit a corner and work on it I usually scoot my butt over to the cornering side. My entire body is over the side of the bike instead of just leaning my shoulders and leg. Similar to this, but definitely not as good:

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:36 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
I asked how you do the action of steering torque. You answered:

We all know this is the same action. The instance you initiate the counter-steer, this is the same action.

Previously stated by MikerR1, "The diagram executes a momentary counter-steer to the left to initiate the lean and then use the throttle to control the lean during the turn.

So:

• How long is momentary?
  • do you let off pressure between the time you initiate the counter-steer and apply forward pressure for maintaining steering torque? If not, when does it no longer become counter-steering? If so, you're implying that you push one side forward to initiate a counter-steer maneuver, let off and then again applying pressure to that side to initiate steering torque.
Surely you can see where I'm going and that if you claim that you apply pressure to initiate the counter-steer and maintain that pressure to apply steering torque...all your jabber is over verbal semantics that are subjective and your argumentative opposition to what we're calling the maneuver, is trollish on your part, since you don't openly admit this before now.
Counter-steering is not the pushing of the handlebar forward.

Here is an experiment for you.

Lets pretend your bike is on a dyno going 50mph. And the front wheel is in a chock, and it cannot move.

You want to go left. So you push the left bar forward, AS HARD AS YOU CAN, did you counter-steer?

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-21-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2016 | 04:38 PM
martinj
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I'm still getting used to the lean angles vs speed and curve angle. I've only really been riding for about three years and I am getting more comfortable getting around the corners with the speed but if my head doesn't stay above my center of gravity it throws me off so if I'm going to hit a corner and work on it I usually scoot my butt over to the cornering side. My entire body is over the side of the bike instead of just leaning my shoulders and leg. Similar to this, but definitely not as good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOk7PSkHJsw
Gotcha. The point I would make, though, is the rider in the video isn't keeping his body upright out of choice; the height of his bars is preventing him from getting his upper body down into the proper lean angle with the bike. If he could lean his whole body more, he wouldn't need to lean the bike as much, and wouldn't be scraping the pavement nearly so much.

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:49 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Gotcha. The point I would make, though, is the rider in the video isn't keeping his body upright out of choice; the height of his bars is preventing him from getting his upper body down into the proper lean angle with the bike. If he could lean his whole body more, he wouldn't need to lean the bike as much, and wouldn't be scraping the pavement nearly so much.
Yeah, I have mini-apes and never really thought about the fact I can't lean too far over due to reach either.

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:51 PM
martinj
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Counter-steering is not the pushing of the handlebar forward.

Here is an experiment for you.

Lets pretend your bike is on a dyno going 50mph. And the front wheel is in a chock, and it cannot move.

You want to go left. So you push the left bar forward, AS HARD AS YOU CAN, did you counter-steer?
Wow. Please tell me what this has to do with actually riding a bike. Of course this isn't actually countersteering (although you're making the same physical input), because the bike isn't actually moving forward, and the bike is locked into place--the bike is static, even though the rear tire is spinning. IF THE BIKE ISN'T MOVING FORWARD, YOU CAN"T F***ING STEER THE BIKE. Cheez.....

Quick Reply: Counter-steering