General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:02 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Yes, when you counter-steer you apply torque. But it is not the steering torque that is used to maintain the lean angle. They are two different things and if you read the article and looked at the diagram you would know that.
There is one kind of steering torque (left/right) and one kind of counter-steering (left/right); and steering torque is created by counter-steering (applying forward pressure to the handlebars left/right).

These are facts. You are wrong. You have had 60 pages of constructive feedback from many different experienced riders, some very knowledgeable on the physics of how counter-steering works; and you either you...

a. Do not understand English well enough to understand it.

b. Are a troll and are deliberately disrespecting people on this board for your personal amusement.

c. Are just too stupid to get it.

So, with that said, I bid you au revoir. I am curious what your first language is though.

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:04 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by nevada72
Anyone care to broach the topic of "late apex" with this fool?
Clearly, none of the more complex aspects of negotiating a turn are even in play. Somehow, some way, that Wikipedia article is the be-all, end-all, diagram on real world riding experiences.

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:08 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

.........We now return you to your regularly scheduled bickering already in progress

LOL

Haole

Last edited by HAOLE; 10-21-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Had to edit the F Bomb LOL
Old 10-21-2016 | 10:12 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
There is one kind of steering torque (left/right) and one kind of counter-steering (left/right); and steering torque is created by counter-steering (applying forward pressure to the handlebars left/right).

These are facts. You are wrong. You have had 60 pages of constructive feedback from many different experienced riders, some very knowledgeable on the physics of how counter-steering works; and you either you...

b. Are a troll and are deliberately disrespecting people on this board for your personal amusement.

So, with that said, I bid you au revoir. I am curious what your first language is though.
I vote all of the above...

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:13 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Clearly, none of the more complex aspects of negotiating a turn are even in play. Somehow, some way, that Wikipedia article is the be-all, end-all, diagram on real world riding experiences.
No it is not the be-all end-all.

It is the beginning. You guys just have to accept that when you are keeping pressure on the inside bar you may not be counter-steering. You may just be maintaining the lean angle. You know when the radius of the curve starts to decrease, and you know that is when you have to counter steer. But that counter steer is a momentary correction, after that you are just applying steering torque to maintain the new lean angle.

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:14 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Exactly. If you are in an actual race, everyone knows all the other riders will get out of your way so that you can clip a perfect apex. Duh!

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:20 AM
jhsellers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
There you have it - 100 TIMES!!!! You're such a loser!

Am I the the only one that has a Yoda voice in my head for his backwards Engrish?

I love the OP's absolutes - "the safest" as found on Wikipedia...

More comic gold.

Anyone care to broach the topic of "late apex" with this fool?

Oh, I'm with you, Nevada - getting rather disgusted with his lack of grammar/spelling/'engrish', and the f[_]cking overuse of that GREEN diagram. It's a two-dimensional drawing, "ideal" lines/graphics (made with DRAFTING TOOLS), it has WRONG labeling/information, and then MikerR1 still continues to invoke it as if it's the penultimate authority on cycle execution of a turn? And, at the same time, he's telling us that everybody else is WRONG? Even though he has acknowledged less experience than some? (all?)

I mean, whoever made Wikipedia the King of the Physics-Gods?

OP (MikerR1) is still a dumbass!

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:21 AM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Yes, when you counter-steer you apply torque. But it is not the steering torque that is used to maintain the lean angle. They are two different things and if you read the article and looked at the diagram you would know that.
Ok, I'll try this one last time. I'll try a comparison here:

Say you're driving a car. You come to a left hand corner. as you approach the corner you slow down and turn the steering wheel to the left to initiate the turn. This is commonly known as steering into the turn. You then hold pressure on the steering wheel so as to cause the car to track through the turn. This is the part that is known as steering through the turn. And it does require input to hold the front tires in position. Just like a bike, if you let go of the steering wheel or relax your grip, the car will straighten out.

Now, the comparison: You're riding a motorcycle. You come to that same left hand turn. You slow your bike (or not, depending on your speed and the corner), then countersteer by pushing the left handlebar forward. This leans you left and begins turning you and the bike into the corner. Once you're set up in the turn, you continue through the turn by holding enough forward pressure on the left grip to hold the required lean in the corner, just like you held counterclockwise pressure on the car's steering wheel to maintain the turn. This is analogous to steering a car through the corner, and is still known as countersteering, just as the act of guiding a car through a corner is known as steering. Even though you aren't actively moving the grip forward (or turning the wheel in the case of the car), the action of holding forward pressure is required to prevent the bike from standing up and straightening out.

So tell me this: If the act of holding a car through a curve is called steering, then why isn't the act of holding a bike through a curve called countersteering? Both actions are passive, in that no actual movement, only pressure, is required for the desired result.

I'll give you this much: you are at least partially correct in that they aren't the same thing. One is countersteering to initiate a turn, the other is countersteering to hold the turn. But they're still both countersteering.
And they both require torque. The difference is, one is active torque (the bars are moved) and one is passive torque (the bars are held in position).

But Mike, feel free to call it whatever you want.

As far as Wikipedia: Pretty much the last place I would go for accurate information on anything. In fact, Wikipedia can be an absolute nightmare of misinformation, depending on who contributed to it.

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:22 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

No.

Counter steering is turning the wheel in a direction opposite to the direction you want to go. When you maintain the lean angle you are not doing that. They are two different things.

It is obvious that you did not read the article, and if you did, you did not understand it.

Old 10-21-2016 | 10:23 AM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't need to counter steer any longer. I chopped my apes off with the cutting torch and now will only hang off the side of my bike to turn. Now that I have no brakes or bars maybe I will get into the low 40's for mpg. This thread is awesome. I have learned so much. . For instance how stupid another human like mikeymcrottencrotch can be. Or how parrots dance around drinking glass.

Now back to our regular topics.........I LOVE BOOBIES

Quick Reply: Counter-steering