General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:08 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

This thread...

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:13 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
I didnt say more suspension allows more lean angle at all???? I said a few different things about suspension in that post...here is the best I can do to try and explain what I am trying to say

This is how a turn is supposed to happen....

As you enter a turn,

1. You load the front suspension entering the turn (this is that braking part)....this allows the bike to "fall into the turn"...you are generally off the throttle at this point, not accelerating, and are pushing on the inside of the bar (countersteereing) to cause the bike to lean

2. once you have entered the turn, U use your Throttle and steering to arrest your lean through the turn (this is basically a maintenance throttle to get you through the apex of the turn and a constant pressure to maintain lean)
at this point you have hit the apex of the turn and
3. You accelerate out of the turn which unloads the front suspension and also the majority of the weight is now bore by the rear tire as it comes out of lean to the beefiest part of the tire for traction...

If you run out of suspension in the front you will lowside....your suspension and braking will determine that...
If you run out of traction in the rear (you have so much lean traction and acceleration traction) so when and how hard you accelerate will determine whether you high side or not....

thats it....thats all I am saying on this matter going forward....before we get into body position, trail braking, target fixation and looking in the proper direction etc..... I AM DONE....
You did not specifically say that more suspension allows more lean angle but what you said implied that was true. You said that taking the load off the front suspension allows you to counter-steer more and lean the bike more. You said that this will work until you run out of front suspension. This implies that the more front suspension you have the more you can lean and faster you can go

Low-side = the bike falls to the same side that it is leaning.
High-side = the bike falls to the opposite side it is leaning.

Low-side is caused by loss of traction.
High-side is caused by loss of traction but then you regain traction and the bike just flips.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-20-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2016 | 01:22 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:27 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
If you say I have admitted that I was dishonest about my intentions then I suggest you provide the quote that supports your statement. That fact that you did not do that tells me that you do not know what you are talking about. And when you find those statements you will also find the answer to all your other questions.

I asked a question of the you yesterday, you did not have courage to answer it. Probably because you had no idea what the answer is. I am going to ask you again...

When you roll on the throttle (accelerate) through a curve, what happens to the lean angle?
You know what.....you're right. I'll admit it. I misread the part about your intentions. I will retract my statement that you admited your true intentions.

So when are you going to get around to that?

As far as your stupid, repetitive, (which could get you banned had someone cared to flag it) lean angle question - It's already been answered by someone very knowledgeable. That said, it's not the answer I would have given. Are you talking about roll on with no rider adjustment? If so, what's your point? It's basic physics. But in the real world or at the track, when a rider accelerates out of a corner there are many factors that contribute to the positioning of the bike and it's lean angle. So sure.....in a vacuum (this is an adult use of sarcasm in case you were going to delve into "what is a vacuum?"), if the throttle is increased, the bike stands up. Happy now? I answered one of your questions. Granted, it's like answering a 5 year old's question as to why does the sun come up every day.........like that child you simply don't seem to grasp or accept the physics of the answer. (hint - the sun doesn't come up)

So what kind of bike do you ride? That's an easy question. Surely for the edification of those you claim you want to have constructive discussion with, you can provide that very relevant information.

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:30 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

I asked a question of the you yesterday, you did not have courage to answer it. Probably because you had no idea what the answer is. I am going to ask you again...

When you roll on the throttle (accelerate) through a curve, what happens to the lean angle?
Answered in post #546 above, did you ignore it on purpose?

If you don't change the position of the handlebars, the lean angle will decrease (the bike with become more upright). Your point?

Last edited by gotnspikes; 10-20-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2016 | 01:31 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by nevada72
You know what.....you're right. I'll admit it. I misread the part about your intentions. I will retract my statement that you admited your true intentions.

So when are you going to get around to that?

As far as your stupid, repetitive, (which could get you banned had someone cared to flag it) lean angle question - It's already been answered by someone very knowledgeable. That said, it's not the answer I would have given. Are you talking about roll on with no rider adjustment? If so, what's your point? It's basic physics. But in the real world or at the track, when a rider accelerates out of a corner there are many factors that contribute to the positioning of the bike and it's lean angle. So sure.....in a vacuum (this is an adult use of sarcasm in case you were going to delve into "what is a vacuum?"), if the throttle is increased, the bike stands up. Happy now? I answered one of your questions. Granted, it's like answering a 5 year old's question as to why does the sun come up every day.........like that child you simply don't seem to grasp or accept the physics of the answer. (hint - the sun doesn't come up)

So what kind of bike do you ride? That's an easy question. Surely for the edification of those you claim you want to have constructive discussion with, you can provide that very relevant information.
Please do not misinterpret my response to you. I really have no interest at all in talking with you.

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:36 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
Answered in post #546 above, did you ignore it on purpose?

If you don't change the position of the handlebars, the lean angle will decrease (the bike with become more upright).
Go to this post, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15610881. You will see that we have two conflicting opinions on that.

Old 10-20-2016 | 01:55 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Go to this post, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15610881. You will see that we have two conflicting opinions on that.

That's fantastic for you to point out.?. Not sure why you did, but have an idea.

Still, opinions do not change the way nature works. If you roll/twist the throttle to increase the speed, don't change the pressure (more/less, forward or backward) on the handlebar, the lean angle will decrease.

What do you think will happen? Do you think there is a magical phenom that happens when you do this that is beyond anyone's grasp?

What is your point with this question? Asking it over and over, implies that you have a specific agenda that appears to be something like some kind of enlightenment you are going to bestow upon us. (I can't wait) Or could be an attempt at thinking none of us would be smart enough to answer it correctly, therefore an attempt at trying to debunk anything we say. That motive doesn't seem bright.

If you don't already know what happens and you don't want to take my word for it, go test it out yourself. Then come back and tell us.

If I seem to have an unwavering aire about my answer, I already know what happens, as I have a natural grasp on basic physics. :-)

Last edited by gotnspikes; 10-20-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2016 | 02:27 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
I already know what happens, as I have a natural grasp on basic physics. :-)
And you ride a motorcycle.

The following users liked this post:
gotnspikes (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016 | 02:35 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
And you ride a motorcycle.

lol, yeah....experience and understanding of what's happening while I ride helps, but apparently riding a motorcycle in and of itself, isn't sufficient.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 10-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering