Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

I love Forrest.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 10-20-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
There's an echo in here.

https://youtu.be/msQdUw3jSjM
No, it is not an echo. There are crickets in here.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:09 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Ok, you say you have experience here is a question for you

If you roll on the throttle (accelerate) through a curve, what happens to the lean angle?
I don't have the type of experience to respond to your question. What I do have is over 40 yrs experience of riding. Thats over 39 yrs of simple in town street riding, 1 yr of pushing it harder than Ive ever done before as I now ride with a younger crowd. Thus my 3 classes of riding course this yr. I've never heard of counter steering or go where you look until a yr ago, but I have managed to go around corners without fail not knowing the terms or what I was actually doing, pushing left to go left. That's one of those things I had to actually go out and pay attention to what I was doing as far as steering input. Kinda blew my mind when I realized it seemed backwards. If I want to go left, I just did. Never considered the actions required to go left.
Again, you seem to be either a troll or very knowlegable and this is your way of invoking discussion. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Last edited by CVO SG; 10-19-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 17,033 Likes on 6,775 Posts

First, a question: Why did you delete this?

Idaho was wrong. He was trying to cover his *** at my expense.
Here's where you're wrong. I happen to know IdahoHacker personally. Though I don't know him well, I know him well enough to say I'm pretty sure he's forgotten more about riding (and probably just about everything else one could think of) than you could learn in a thousand years. In my opinion, he's a truly standup guy. What he's saying here needs to be listened to by you before, as he says, you kill yourself. Or someone else.

So while I'm at it, why not have the respect to address him by his proper username?

I've been holding this back too, but I just gotta say it. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is in.

MikerR1: You, sir, are a complete and total ***. Period.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by martinj
First, a question: Why did you delete this?

Here's where you're wrong. I happen to know IdahoHacker personally. Though I don't know him well, I know him well enough to say I'm pretty sure he's forgotten more about riding (and probably just about everything else one could think of) than you could learn in a thousand years. In my opinion, he's a truly standup guy. What he's saying here needs to be listened to by you before, as he says, you kill yourself. Or someone else.

So while I'm at it, why not have the respect to address him by his proper username?

I've been holding this back too, but I just gotta say it. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is in.

MikerR1: You, sir, are a complete and total ***. Period.
Well guess what, now you know why I deleted it. Because I think he is probably a nice man but he has not read all the posts and got some things wrong at my expense. He lost my respect when he tried to pile on without fully understanding what has gone on. After I published it, I decided I was going to give him a second chance.

You do not know what has gone on in this thread. Only I and a few others because only I and a few others have paid attention to everything that has been said.

I could say the same thing about you, that you are a total ***, because you re-published something that I had deleted to protect his feelings. You republished it to hurt his feelings. You sir, are a complete ***.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-19-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 17,033 Likes on 6,775 Posts

I deleted it because I was trying to be nice to Idaho. That is why I deleted it. Not because of your imaginations.
Good try (not). I brought it up because you were clearly trying to cover your ***.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,690 Likes on 3,151 Posts

Ok, you say you have experience here is a question for you

If you roll on the throttle (accelerate) through a curve, what happens to the lean angle?
Seeing how I have no "cred" with you - what the hell

Assuming bike properly set up

And assuming bike properly set when entering said corner

Rolling on the throttle will cause the bike to squat..., angle to increase..., grip to increase - and off ya go

Setting a bike happens just prior to the apex - apex is where one needs to be in the throttle

===========

btw - those who say you can't steer by pressing down on the handle bars - not forward - but simply down

You're incorrect

Pressing down shifts weight - bike will head that way - while keeping bars perfectly straight

Ghost

Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,690 Likes on 3,151 Posts

btw if bike isn't set up properly - one will likely low side

*** end washes out

Ghost

Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by martinj
Good try (not). I brought it up because you were clearly trying to cover your ***.
Here is everything I said in my previous post. You only quoted a small bit of it.

Well guess what, now you know why I deleted it. Because I think he is probably a nice man but he has not read all the posts and got some things wrong at my expense. He lost my respect when he tried to pile on without fully understanding what has gone on. After I published it, I decided I was going to give him a second chance.

You do not know what has gone on in this thread. Only I and a few others because only I and a few others have paid attention to everything that has been said.

I could say the same thing about you, that you are a total ***, because you re-published something that I had deleted to protect his feelings. You republished it to hurt his feelings. You sir, are a complete ***.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

In other words you don't know.
Pretty sure I do. I also know there are no absolutes, and doubt seriously anyone has ever accelerated out of a corner (key phrase) without also adjusting body position.

If you wish to ask a serious question, address all the variables.
As stated before there are many experienced riders here who are willing to help, however once you discount information, you will no longer get it.

Moderate smooth increase in throttle will decrease the lean angle (using perpendicular as 0*) and help bring you smoothly out of a corner, while violent acceleration will cause loss of traction, cause the rear end to come around, and if not immediately corrected increase the lean angle to the the point you are parallel with the pavement.

Ride more, and ask fewer question.

There are also Forum rules related to double posting.

Last edited by TSheff; 10-19-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering