General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:01 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
It doesn't matter what types of bars.

All use counter-steering. Counter-steering is the only effective way to change the direction of a motorcycle.

Complete nonsense.

Well... what do you know? You learned something. I was beginning to think it was impossible.
You know keith, you should have stopped when you were ahead.

Yes the bars do make a difference. It is obvious they make a difference. Do you think they put Ape Hangers on race bikes?

And of course all of the techniques use counter-steering. The debate has never been about the use of counter-steering, the debate became was the counter-steering continuous through the curve or momentary before the curve, and the answer turns out to be, both.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-19-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2016 | 01:41 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Listen kid, your post is a troll post. This is the kind of post that should not be allowed.
Kid? LMAO thanks but, my youngest son is older than you. Maybe its time you grow up and realize you are dumb as a box of rocks. Get out of your mom's basement and experience the real world.

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:45 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Kid? LMAO thanks but, my youngest son is older than you. Maybe its time you grow up and realize you are dumb as a box of rocks. Get out of your mom's basement and experience the real world.
I gave you the respect your post deserved. Now go and take a look at your previous post and tell me who needs to get out from under their mothers apron.

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:46 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

I understand some people aren't mechanically or physics minded, but I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would think that pressing down on something that is meant to be moved left and right, would do anything to help them achieve their goal. Now you're just getting into common sense. Well yeah, I guess there are people that don't have that either.

It makes me think of this scene:

Last edited by gotnspikes; 10-19-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2016 | 01:46 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I gave you the respect your post deserved. Now go and take a look at your previous post and tell me who needs to get out from under their mothers apron.
Again, change your tampon, take a pill and shut the **** up.

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:51 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Again, change your tampon, take a pill and shut the **** up.
You are a cantankerous old fart arn't you? I know where a pissin match with someone like you ends so I am going to make this my last response.

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:52 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Lets say you are right. Lets pretend I am traveling 70 mph. I enter a sweeping curve and begin to feel my motorcycle wanting to be pushed to the outside (or go into the ditch as keith would say). What do I do? If you say I do not slow down, what am I supposed to do? Do I counter-steer without slowing down?

I know what to do...

You slow down, you counter-steer and then accelerate. Or as some said, you Look, lean and roll.

Look, Lean and Roll

Where did you get the notion that you need to slow down first to do that?

Old 10-19-2016 | 02:06 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Where did you get the notion that you need to slow down first to do that?
From the Look, Lean and Roll method for negotiating a turn, as shown by this diagram.

But this diagram is not the complete pictue. RedRider0151 actually pointed this out yesterday.

I understand that now.

This "method" of negotiating a turn asks you to slow down before the turn, then lean by using a momentary counter-steer, and then accelerate through the turn with out counter-steering in the turn.

The other method, and obviously the method preferred by several members of the forum, is to not slow down before the turn or slow down just a little and then initiate a continuous counter-steer through the turn to control your path in the turn.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2016 | 02:16 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

You Look, Lean and Roll

Note: Positive Steering is counter-steering

This is exactly what the diagram I posted earlier showed.

WTF???? So when I entered this thread I told you Look Lean and Roll and that you always look in the direction you want to go and you are the one that told me that looking in a certain direction has no affect on a motorcycle whatsoever.....and now you are EFFFING QUOTING IT????? Ur a TOOL!!!!

Old 10-19-2016 | 02:22 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
WTF???? So when I entered this thread I told you Look Lean and Roll and that you always look in the direction you want to go and you are the one that told me that looking in a certain direction has no affect on a motorcycle whatsoever.....and now you are EFFFING QUOTING IT????? Ur a TOOL!!!!
If you would have waited a couple of minutes before your post you would have seen that I edited my previous post to the following...

From the Look, Lean and Roll method for negotiating a turn, as shown by this diagram.

But this diagram is not the complete picture. RedRider0151 actually pointed this out yesterday.

I understand that now.

This "method" of negotiating a turn asks you to slow down before the turn, then lean by using a momentary counter-steer, and then accelerate through the turn with out counter-steering in the turn.

The other method, and obviously the method preferred by several members of the forum, is to not slow down before the turn or slow down just a little and then initiate a continuous counter-steer through the turn to control your path in the turn.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-19-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering