General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:23 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Mike, the point of the demonstration was to show that one must continue to apply pressure on the bar in a curve to maintain the curve. As you already know, you do your braking before entering the curve. Once in the curve, you maintain or even moderately increase speed. It sounds like you're saying one should slow down in a curve. Are you? That's not a good idea.

One reason for this, which I don't think has been mentioned yet, is weight distribution. When the bike is riding at an even speed on level ground, the weight is distributed between the wheels, right? Now, let's say you suddenly hit the brakes. What just happened? The majority of your weight has been transferred to the front wheel, and therefore you are depending on the front wheel for most of your traction. Traction is key, lose traction, you lose control. When you enter a turn, and then then gradually roll on throttle, you are exerting pressure/downforce on the back tire, which keeps traction on the rear. On many bikes (like mine) the back tire is fatter than the front, which is another reason to do this.

What you saw in my video wasn't some dangerous stunt to be executed only on the track. LOL! Honestly, I would expect some riders to say they curve like that all the time. (It's fun...you should try it). If you think what I did in that video is dangerous, then you really shouldn't ride a motorcycle.

You continue to analyze this like you're in a classroom at a chalkboard. I think you're totally missing the point of riding. Just like you missed the point of the video.
guitarfish, I said it was dangerous, because it is dangerous. You said you were going 50mph. You did not slow down enough, that is why you ended up near the yellow line. (or you did not lean enough), right?

On a track, when you make a mistake, you do not die. On the street, you very well may die.

I do not think that most Harley drivers should be riding that way, except for maybe the Buell or Sportster.

BTW, I forgot to tell you that you bike sounds really good to me.

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:26 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
We are not riding on the track. We are riding on the street with cars, not other motorcycles, and cars coming in the opposite direction at high speeds.
"We"? lol

I have probably locked up my tires more that you have.
What happened to "we"?

I seriously doubt it. I learned ride on the dirt trails around my house when I was a kid. Locking up my tires was part of riding, especially the back tire. It is impossible for me to even begin to count how many times I have used a controlled skid to negotiate a trail or manage a descent. On the road, locking up your tire can get you a ride in an ambulance.

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:27 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

You may have an easier time countersteering if you take the training wheels off.
What effect does the windshield have on continuous counter-steering?

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:31 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
"We"? lol

What happened to "we"?

I seriously doubt it. I learned ride on the dirt trails around my house when I was a kid. Locking up my tires was part of riding, especially the back tire. It is impossible for me to even begin to count how many times I have used a controlled skid to negotiate a trail or manage a descent. On the road, locking up your tire can get you a ride in an ambulance.
You said you did not ride on a track, so when I use the word "We" I mean you and me.

Ok, you locked your wheels up on a dirt bike, I locked my wheels up on a WideGlide. This is not something to be proud of. Based on your description, I guess I know how to do a controlled skid. It must have come natural because no one taught me how to do it!

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:31 AM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

This thread is about as stupid as the " loud pipes" one over at ADVrider. That site may be better for Mike as the level of stupidity is pretty high

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:34 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

guitarfish, I said it was dangerous, because it is dangerous. You said you were going 50mph. You did not slow down enough, that is why you ended up near the yellow line. (or you did not lean enough), right?
Getting on a bike and leaving your driveway is dangerous in some peoples' minds.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 10-21-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2016 | 11:38 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
The following users liked this post:
cficole (10-13-2017)
Old 10-19-2016 | 11:40 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Me and a few friends out riding dangerously, getting close to the line, not braking sufficiently before curves, countersteering, and ripping the tags off of matresses. Good stuff starts at 4:30.

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:49 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

I locked my wheels up on a WideGlide.
I seriously doubt it.

Old 10-19-2016 | 11:51 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Me and a few friends out riding dangerously, getting close to the line, not braking sufficiently before curves, countersteering, and ripping the tags off of matresses. Good stuff starts at 4:30.
https://youtu.be/t2CHZivuquY?t=4m30s
Well if that is the standard I have no problem with that. I ride those kind of roads all the time at about the speed you are riding them.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering