General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:48 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Stop over thinking this stuff. Believe me unless you ride and then ride more you will never get it. After awhile it will become second nature no matter what bike you hope on. I cant read all of this thread as it gives me a head ache. You are riding a Harley you dont need to over think loading or unloading the suspension , or giving it massive amounts of throttle to kick the back end out and power thru the turn. Just ride with in your limits ride some more and enjoy. After a few seasons you figure out enough

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:56 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
The argument of not using brakes when the motorcycle is leaned over is one that understand and have tried to follow. There is something instinctual for me not to brake when the bike is leaning.
I routinely trail brake, simply because that is how the real world is. As far as braking with the bike leaned over goes... it is no big deal and I find it quite natural. Braking will add additional stress on the contact patches, but most people will never exceed the capability of their tires. Linked braking systems and ABS basically eliminate the risk. There is some danger from the changes it introduces to the handling of the bike, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

That feeling you have is fear, caused by the absence of experience.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:57 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by paoloD
Stop over thinking this stuff. Believe me unless you ride and then ride more you will never get it. After awhile it will become second nature no matter what bike you hope on. I cant read all of this thread as it gives me a head ache. You are riding a Harley you dont need to over think loading or unloading the suspension , or giving it massive amounts of throttle to kick the back end out and power thru the turn. Just ride with in your limits ride some more and enjoy. After a few seasons you figure out enough
Believe it or not, doing all this is helping to make it second nature.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:59 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I routinely trail brake, simply because that is how the real world is. As far as braking with the bike leaned over goes... it is no big deal and I find it quite natural. Braking will add additional stress on the contact patches, but most people will never exceed the capability of their tires. Linked braking systems and ABS basically eliminate the risk. There is some danger from the changes it introduces to the handling of the bike, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

That feeling you have is fear, caused by the absence of experience.
You are right it is fear, but it is not from the absence of experience, quite the contrary, is from an experience. I dropped the bike, years ago when I was braking while leaning.

Having said that, I brake when leaning sometimes, usually to get myself out of a jam.

One thing that I have never done, is counter-steering without first slowing down. That is going to change because of Look, Lean and Roll!

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 08:03 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Lets pretend I am traveling 70 mph. I enter a sweeping curve...
Ok

... and begin to feel my motorcycle wanting to be pushed to the outside...
Will never happen.Your bike will go straight on through that curve and right into the ditch, unless you do something to change the direction of the bike. Slowing down won't do it. Looking in the direction you want to go won't do it. Leaning will not do it.

What do I do? ... Do I counter-steer without slowing down?
Ding ding ding! No need to slow down in most cases, for reasons already given. Counter-steering is the only thing that is going to get you through that curve and keep you out of the ditch. Looking in the direction you want to go, slowing down some, and leaning will only help a little.

I know what to do...
No. You don't.

Old 10-18-2016 | 08:05 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

You are right it is fear, but it is not from the absence of experience, quite the contrary, is from an experience. I dropped the bike, years ago when I was braking while leaning.
You have far too little experience.

Old 10-18-2016 | 08:06 PM
Rijan
Cruiser

OMG! Really just practice it. Been riding 40 years. The proper turning techniques discussed here will not only make you a better safer rider but you will enjoy going around corners and enjoy the ride more. There is nothing like going into a corner and boomeranging out of it (Safely)

Old 10-18-2016 | 08:07 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by Rijan
There is nothing like going into a corner and boomeranging out of it (Safely)
Love the feeling of accelerating out of a curve.

Old 10-18-2016 | 08:11 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Ok

Will never happen.Your bike will go straight on through that curve and right into the ditch, unless you do something to change the direction of the bike. Slowing down won't do it. Looking in the direction you want to go won't do it. Leaning will not do it.
No, It happens. I may not be describing it properly, but you can feel it when you are too fast for the curve. You start to counter-lean( I just invented that word) The top part of you and your bike start to tip outward (not inward).

Old 10-18-2016 | 08:14 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch
I absolutely do not slow down for every turn that I come to. if it's a 90* like your pic, sure I do, but most of the turns that I do on a daily basis do not require me to slow down.

yeah, no. when you are in a 70 mph turn on the highway, the centrifugal force is pretty strong trying to push you to the outside of the curve. you do not need to slow down (well, maybe you do, but most of us don't), you need to continue to apply pressure to your inside bar, looking at where you want to go (look through the curve. sound familiar?) keep your line and then start reducing pressure on the inside bar, transferring it to the outside bar until you are out of the curve and heading in a straight line.
Thanks for that. You describe it very well. Keeping pressure on the inside bar makes sense because curve is very gradual. Pressure on the inside bar is the way to balance the forces.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering