General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 06:21 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I am assuming you are ... some kind of racer or stunt driver...
Not hardly. I am not qualified to explain to you how to ride a motorcycle. If you want to learn how to ride, the absolute best thing to do is buy a motorcycle and go ride it. If you want to learn how to ride like a pro, then you need to take a class. Even if I were a racer or stunt rider, I am not an instructor, and would not help you the way a qualified instructor would.

I do not consider myself a novice however and I am more than capable of riding my Harley beyond its limitations. I have little interest in erasing the chicken strips on my tires, or grinding my foot rests off.

Old 10-18-2016 | 06:39 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

deleted.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 06:47 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Not hardly. I am not qualified to explain to you how to ride a motorcycle. If you want to learn how to ride, the absolute best thing to do is buy a motorcycle and go ride it. If you want to learn how to ride like a pro, then you need to take a class. Even if I were a racer or stunt rider, I am not an instructor, and would not help you the way a qualified instructor would.

I do not consider myself a novice however and I am more than capable of riding my Harley beyond its limitations. I have little interest in erasing the chicken strips on my tires, or grinding my foot rests off.
I am not looking for someone to explain to me how to ride a motorcycle and I would never, ever place that burden on anyone but myself.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:07 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Can I have your used oil to put in my lawnmower?
Sure I will send you a PayPal invoice...can you pay as a gift so I can pretend to ship it.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:10 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

I did not know what is "trail braking". I just looked it up. This may be what I have been looking for. I need a way to negotiate high speed sweeping turns on the highway. When I say "high speed" I mean highway speeds, 70mph. I have been slowing down to negotiate those turns but I realize that I can't continue to do that on the highways.

At regular highway speeds, there should be no need for you to slow down to negotiate curves. They are designed to be ridden at those speeds.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:16 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

deleted

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 07:19 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Halojumper
At regular highway speeds, there should be no need for you to slow down to negotiate curves. They are designed to be ridden at those speeds.
Lets say you are right. Lets pretend I am traveling 70 mph. I enter a sweeping curve and begin to feel my motorcycle wanting to be pushed to the outside (or go into the ditch as keith would say). What do I do? If you say I do not slow down, what am I supposed to do? Do I counter-steer without slowing down?

I know what to do...

You slow down, you counter-steer and then accelerate. Or as some said, you Look, lean and roll.

Look, Lean and Roll

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 07:28 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

Guess what, those Ape Hangers might be the reason you have to keep so much pressure on the bars. How wide are those ape hangers? Also at 12" you are reaching up are you not?
Having to keep pressure on the bars during a turn has nothing to do with the bars themselves. It has everything to do with suspension setup. A properly tuned suspension allows a bike to negotiate a high speed turn with very little effort once the bike is leaned into the turn.

If people want to be so critical in this thread about high speed turning on a motorcycle, I highly recommend a beginners racing course. Or, just go hang out at the track on track days. You will learn something, I promise.

Old 10-18-2016 | 07:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Most of us, (myself included) slow down before we enter the turn, which implies that we are opting for a lesser angle of lean. The slower you go, the less you have to lean. This is opposite from what Red told you. .
I absolutely do not slow down for every turn that I come to. if it's a 90* like your pic, sure I do, but most of the turns that I do on a daily basis do not require me to slow down.

Lets say you are right. Lets pretend I am traveling 70 mph. I enter a sweeping curve and begin to feel my motorcycle wanting to be pushed to the outside (or go into the ditch as keith would say). What do I do? If you say I do not slow down, what am I supposed to do? Do I counter-steer without slowing down?

I know what to do...

You slow down, you counter-steer and then accelerate. Or as some said, you Look, lean and roll.

Look, Lean and Roll
yeah, no. when you are in a 70 mph turn on the highway, the centrifugal force is pretty strong trying to push you to the outside of the curve. you do not need to slow down (well, maybe you do, but most of us don't), you need to continue to apply pressure to your inside bar, looking at where you want to go (look through the curve. sound familiar?) keep your line and then start reducing pressure on the inside bar, transferring it to the outside bar until you are out of the curve and heading in a straight line.

Last edited by skratch; 10-18-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 07:39 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch
I absolutely do not slow down for every turn that I come to. if it's a 90* like your pic, sure I do, but most of the turns that I do on a daily basis do not require me to slow down.
You Look, Lean and Roll

Note: Positive Steering is counter-steering

This is exactly what the diagram I posted earlier showed.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering