General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:33 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Yes. I have. Counter-steering is easy.

I do it frequently. That should tell you something right there.

I have gotten it right every time I've tried it on a motorcycle.
Do you do it with a harley?

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:35 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Well, you probably have not mastered counter-steering so do not think that. We counter-steer to create the lean angle. There is a reason we have to talk about this stuff theoretically. I am not going to be entering a curve at 70 mph's anytime soon. And as the video tells us, the lean angle for 70mph entry is larger than for a 45mph entry. Do you know what is that lean angle? Do you think your going to get it right the first time you try it? No.
You damn well better get it right the first time you try it.......

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:36 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

You don't do it with a harley do you?
Of course. It doesn't matter what type of motorcycle it is. Some frames are easier that others, some harder, but they all work the same.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:37 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by martinj
You damn well better get it right the first time you try it.......
And every time after that ;-)

Otherwise, you're gonna have a bad day.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:39 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Of course. It doesn't matter what type of motorcycle it is. Some frames are easier that others, some harder, but they all work the same.
Well, let me ask you this. Don't you agree that the faster you go the more you have to lean?
And how do you determine your initial angle of lean(how much you counter-steer), surely it is different for each speed you are going?
Do you brake before you enter a turn?

Given your speed, will the bike naturally fall (when you counter-steer) to the stable angle of lean for that speed, regardless of your speed?

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 05:43 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

And every time after that ;-)
Yep.

Otherwise, you're gonna have a bad day.
And yep.

I'm seriously wondering if the OP even owns a bike. Or has ever operated one for that matter. Going from asking total newb questions about countersteering to suddenly becoming a seeming expert on the subject just seems a little fishy..... Or maybe it's troll I smell......

'Course I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been thought of here. Thinking out loud.....

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:50 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Well, let me ask you this. Don't you agree that the faster you go the more you have to lean?
Negotiating a turn is about balancing the forces that are at work. Leaning the bike over is one variable in an equation with many variables.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:51 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by martinj
I'm seriously wondering if the OP even owns a bike. Or has ever operated one for that matter. Going from asking total newb questions about countersteering to suddenly becoming a seeming expert on the subject just seems a little fishy..... Or maybe it's troll I smell......
Yup. Pretty sure he is a Harley hater is just trying to jerk is around.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:57 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Negotiating a turn is about balancing the forces that are at work. Leaning the bike over is one variable in an equation with many variables.
Leaning the bike over is the most important variable in the equation. The physics is clear, even to me, that the angle of lean required to balance the forces increase with the corner entry speed.

You can either confirm it or deny it. There really is no in between on this.

I am not trying to trick you. I am assuming you are being straight with me and you are some kind of racer or stunt driver or something I fully intend to pick your brain, if you allow it. But first I have to be convinced that you have really done the things you said you have done.

Old 10-18-2016 | 06:10 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

And how do you determine your initial angle of lean(how much you counter-steer), surely it is different for each speed you are going?
I lean until I'm sure I won't go into the ditch.

Do you brake before you enter a turn?
Depends. Normally, I don't have to. If I am pushing the limits of the road, I trail brake most of the time.

Given your speed, will the bike naturally fall (when you counter-steer) to the stable angle of lean for that speed, regardless of your speed?
No.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering