General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:55 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
A lot of what we do as riders is instinctual. An advanced riding course can help you understand those things. I've never taken one, but I've spoken with people who have. I wouldn't mind taking one to get a better grip on low speed maneuvers, but I find practice is a pretty good teacher too; along with watching demonstration videos.
Counter-steering is not intuitive. It is actually, counter-intuitive.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:58 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
No, I don't think I am over simplifying.
Yes, you are. That video only explains part of what is going on.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:02 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Yes, you are. That video only explains part of what is going on.
You need to watch the video. The video makes it very clear that for every corner entry speed there is a naturally stable angle of lean. If is absolutely pure physics. The relationship is the faster you go, the greater the required angle of lean. (Again notice the keyword stable)

If you disagree with that then you need to support your statement with some evidence.

The problem, of course, is to figure out what that angle of lean is given your speed. Most of us, (myself included) slow down before we enter the turn, which implies that we are opting for a lesser angle of lean. The slower you go, the less you have to lean. This is opposite from what Red told you. He told you that the faster you go the less you have to lean, which is not correct.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 05:06 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I use automotive synthetic 15w50 oil. There I said it...

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:14 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Counter-steering is not intuitive. It is actually, counter-intuitive.
I learned to ride a motorcycle without the benefit of any instruction; just trial and error. When I took my MSF course and the instructor was trying to explain how to counter-steer, I thought he was insane. Then, I went home and tested his theory and I was convinced at that point he was indeed insane; because, I sure didn't push on my bars to turn, I leaned. Well, I now know that leaning didn't do much of anything and this is how new riders end up in ditches: they think leaning will get the job done. At slow speeds, yes. But not a fast speeds.

On closer examination, what I noticed was that when I leaned I was unintentionally pulling the opposite bar and getting the exact same result as pushing. Once I mastered counter steering, it is now a much simpler thing and requires much less effort. I sit straight up in my seat and gently push to steer. It's easy.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:15 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

You need to watch the video.
I have no problem with the video.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:20 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

I learned to ride a motorcycle without the benefit of any instruction; just trial and error. When I took my MSF course and the instructor was trying to explain how to counter-steer, I thought he was insane. Then, I went home and tested his theory and I was convinced at that point he was indeed insane; because, I sure didn't push on my bars to turn, I leaned. Well, I now know that leaning didn't do much of anything and this is how new riders end up in ditches: they think leaning will get the job done. At slow speeds, yes. But not a fast speeds.

On closer examination, what I noticed was that when I leaned I was unintentionally pulling the opposite bar and getting the exact same result as pushing. Once I mastered counter steering, it is now a much simpler thing and requires much less effort. I sit straight up in my seat and gently push to steer. It's easy.
Well, you probably have not mastered counter-steering so do not think that. We counter-steer to create the lean angle. There is a reason we have to talk about this stuff theoretically. I am not going to be entering a curve at 70 mph's anytime soon. And as the video tells us, the lean angle for 70mph entry is larger than for a 45mph entry. Do you know what is that lean angle? Do you think your going to get it right the first time you try it? No.

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:21 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I use automotive synthetic 15w50 oil. There I said it...
Can I have your used oil to put in my lawnmower?

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:24 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Stumbled upon this by accident.(no pun intended)
Modeling Motorcycle Counter-Steering

https://books.google.com/books?id=z2...rogram&f=false

Old 10-18-2016 | 05:31 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Well, you probably have not mastered counter-steering so do not think that.
Yes. I have. Counter-steering is easy.

I am not going to be entering a curve at 70 mph's anytime soon.
I do it frequently. That should tell you something right there.

Do you think your going to get it right the first time you try it? No.
I have gotten it right every time I've tried it on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering