General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:14 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I provide the diagram that states that you do not have to counter-steer in the turn.
This is true, you don't have to continue to counter steer, once you achieve a "stable lean". On the flip side, you do not have to achieve a "stable lean" to get through the curve. It is all about over coming the forces that are trying to drive you into the ditch. Some times, you can manipulate the situation into a state of equilibrium (stable lean); other times, you have use your arms (counter steer) and body weight.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:21 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I don't think so. I am pretty sure that a racer will not take a turn like the diagram shows.
If its a perfect 90 degree turn like in the diagram, thats exactly how they would attempt to take it....turn in from the far outside and try to clip the apex of the turn so they could take it with the least amount of lean possible, which would give them the most speed and get them out of the turn the fastest...but it would also depend on the most optimum exit considering the next turn on the track...they diagram out the entire track like that in practice...finding best breaking point, best apex, best exit, etc...

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:21 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

This is true, you don't have to continue to counter steer, once you achieve a "stable lean". On the flip side, you do not have to achieve a "stable lean" to get through the curve. It is all about over coming the forces that are trying to drive you into the ditch. Some times, you can manipulate the situation into a state of equilibrium (stable lean); other times, you have use your arms (counter steer) and body weight.
And other times you can just slow down to over come those forces that are trying "drive you into the ditch".

Slowing down, counter-steering and then accelerating is what the diagram shows as one way to negotiate a turn. I believe that is what I do and what I have always done, but I admit when I am actually riding it is hard for me to figure exactly what I am doing because it seems that I do a lot of things simultaneously. I do know it is fun.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 04:24 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

deleted

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 04:28 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
If its a perfect 90 degree turn like in the diagram, thats exactly how they would attempt to take it....
I expect they would trail brake into the turn and accelerate out of the turn hard enough to negate the need to counter-counter-steer.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:34 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I think you are wrong on this. The faster you enter a turn the greater you have to lean and the tighter the turn and the shorter the distance you actually travel.
This is how I know you have no experience riding.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:36 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

This is how I know you have no experience riding.
It is true. The faster you are going the more you have to lean.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:41 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

when I am actually riding it is hard for me to figure exactly what I am doing because it seems that I do a lot of things simultaneously.
A lot of what we do as riders is instinctual. An advanced riding course can help you understand those things. I've never taken one, but I've spoken with people who have. I wouldn't mind taking one to get a better grip on low speed maneuvers, but I find practice is a pretty good teacher too; along with watching demonstration videos.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:44 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

It is true. The faster you are going the more you have to lean.
You are over simplifying the relationship between degree of lean, the radius of the turn, and speed.

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:49 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

You are over simplifying the relationship between degree of lean, the radius of the turn, and speed.
No, I don't think I am over simplifying. It was explained in this video very well. For every entry speed there is a naturally stable angle of lean. (Notice the word stable) If you are not leaning enough for your cornering speed, centrifugal force will over come gravity and the bike will be thrown out of the turn.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering