General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:41 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

So, if you countersteer while doing a wheelie, is down really forward?

Old 10-18-2016 | 03:18 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
You have obviously never been on a race track.
I am having issues believing he has ever been on a bike...(at least not on the front seat)...let alone a track...

I have been on multiple racetracks, with world class instructors, and now i have learned a SHITLOAD that I had all wrong!!
1. What Counter steering is
2. That push forward is more important that pushing down
3. That I no longer have to keep applying pressure when leaned over, that the bike will magically keep the same lean angle
4. That removing the pushing pressure or pulling on the opposite bar is also not counter-steering
5. That I no longer need to look through the turn because thats foolhardy to even think that has anything to do with steering a bike
6. That my apes are screwing me all up and thats why I have so many misconceptions of how I am supposed to ride a motorcycle, (I have been doing it wrong for 20 some odd years)

And on top of that I have had the "How to Cut a Corner" template shown to me a half dozen times to PROVE I have no idea what counter steering is

LOLOLZ This is better than watching "Twist of the Wrist" by far!~!!!

Last edited by RedRider0151; 10-18-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 03:31 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
You are right. I have never been on a race track?

Have you? If so, I have a few questions for you.
I do not own and have never owned a sport bike, so taking my bagger to the track would get me quite a few laughs. Nor do I consider myself qualified to speak on the subject of how to negotiate a high speed turn on a sport bike. But, I can tell that the diagram you posted looks like it came out of the MSF training materials. It is theory, which is to say, nothing like real life.

This is what I know... when I go into a turn, I almost always trail brake; the only time I achieve a "stable lean" is when I have some time to kill in a long sweeper or at slow speeds; and the fastest way through a turn is almost never the shortest distance.

Old 10-18-2016 | 03:34 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Old 10-18-2016 | 03:38 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
I am having issues believing he has ever been on a bike...(at least not on the front seat)...let alone a track...
Yea. Maybe. He has "R1" in his name. I sure hope that he is not riding one.

Old 10-18-2016 | 03:39 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Those knee draggers, make me cringe. lol

Old 10-18-2016 | 03:42 PM
RedRanger7
Cruiser

I too had trouble with countersteering for my first year of cornering. I would lean but kept drifting over into the crap on the side of the corner or coming close to the jersey barrier. Kept watching different you tube vids but going out and riding with friends and talking to other riders helped the most and then practice, now I cruise alongside that yellow road line without a worry.

Old 10-18-2016 | 03:52 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
But, I can tell that the diagram you posted looks like it came out of the MSF training materials. It is theory, which is to say, nothing like real life.
I believe the diagram originated way back in Keith Code's Original "Twist of the Wrist". It was designed for racers to walk teh track and designate the best braking area and gather marks in order to figure out the fastest way through a given turn. It has "Some" use in real life, as you hit the same turns every single day and it also shows how to run a corner from teh outside and through the apex of the turn....but in the real world there are very few turns like this...there are tons of blind turns, decreasing radius turns, full 270 degree turns that circle back on themselves getting on the highway etc... for the diagram to be applicable in most real world situations...and also it doesnt take into consideration traffic, potholes, obstructions, etc.... It was literally used to show how to break down turns on a racetrack for you to increase your speed and to find the best apex etc...

I rode sportbikes for a LONG time before graduating to a Harley in my "Elder Years" and am still hoping to snag a Ducati Peningale for my last one here one my Glide is paid off. I can tell you from Mikes understanding of how a bike is controlled I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing he owned an R1 for any length of time as there is no way he would have survived unless this whole thread is a troll and he is sitting back stirring the pot the entire time....

Old 10-18-2016 | 04:05 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

I have been on multiple racetracks, with world class instructors, and now i have learned a SHITLOAD that I had all wrong!!
1. What Counter steering is
2. That push forward is more important that pushing down
3. That I no longer have to keep applying pressure when leaned over, that the bike will magically keep the same lean angle
4. That removing the pushing pressure or pulling on the opposite bar is also not counter-steering
5. That I no longer need to look through the turn because thats foolhardy to even think that has anything to do with steering a bike
6. That my apes are screwing me all up and thats why I have so many misconceptions of how I am supposed to ride a motorcycle, (I have been doing it wrong for 20 some odd years)

And on top of that I have had the "How to Cut a Corner" template shown to me a half dozen times to PROVE I have no idea what counter steering is

LOLOLZ This is better than watching "Twist of the Wrist" by far!~!!!
I think you do have the wrong definition for counter-steering.

And I bet your Apes are screwing you up.

All of your other items I never said.

Now as far as stirring the pot, how can I be doing that when I provide a diagram that states that you do not have to counter-steer in the turn. (albeit the "perfect corner")? A diagram, that apparently you agree with. I did not make that up. You just don't like it.

And every definition of "counter-steer" has the word "momentarily" in it. I don't think that is a mistake, in fact, I am positive it is not. The way they define it I think they are trying to convey the idea that a counter-steer is an impulse event.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 04:10 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I believe the diagram originated way back in Keith Code's Original "Twist of the Wrist". It was designed for racers...
I don't think so. I am pretty sure that a racer will not take a turn like the diagram shows.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering