General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 01:45 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I rode my bike 55 miles to work this morning...and 140 miles on Saturday...and both times I was messing around with my handlebars wonder how on God's green earth someone could think the things you think and post the things you post. That said, I don't push down on my bars, I push forward. (Not me btw, just a random pic).

I did comment on it. I don't know what you expect me to say. It's a still shot, as someone else mentioned, we don't know what's going on before or after the pic. Kinda like a pic of the grassy knoll.
There is a lot of information in the picture I asked you to look at. For instance the position of the driver and his elbows relative to the right grip.

Sometimes you actually do something good.

The picture you posted is a good picture. It shows how handlebars should be placed relative to the driver. The handlebars are even with his elbows so he can push forward.

If your elbows sit higher than the grips you have to reach down to steer the bike.

Old 10-18-2016 | 01:53 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Good Lord Almighty.....don't forget to put down your kickstand!!!

Old 10-18-2016 | 01:57 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer

When I push my lawnmower, the bars are below my elbows, but I'm still able to push it forward. Learned that at LSF.

The following users liked this post:
King Nothing (10-24-2016)
Old 10-18-2016 | 02:01 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
When I push my lawnmower, the bars are below my elbows, but I'm still able to push it forward. Learned that at LSF.
Try it on a your bike you will find out it is not so easy. I love this picture. See that driver? Where is his right elbow? Do you think he could have pushed forward on the right grip if he did not lean over like he is positioned? I trust him, not you.

I love this picture. It is so good.

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:05 PM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

LMAO ..... 32 Pages ....LOL

Haole

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:08 PM
Glyder54
Banned

Close the thread mods....cripe!

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:23 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Sometimes you actually do something good.
Bwhahaha!!!!! I am literally laughing out loud at this. This is epic, sigworthy!!

My take on the still shot you posted is that there are many possibilities. In the background you can see the track and it looks like he's gone through an "S", and then some. He's leaned right, looking right, so presumably the track ahead is a turn to the right. If you watch some MotoGP clips you see these guys flicking the bike around like it's nothing. I just can't divine what he's doing.

I did a quick Photoshop of your guy to stand up the bike. It's really hard to tell if the front wheel is off center or not IMO. But we are talking about minutiae here. Also, what is he doing with the throttle? These guys twist on and off pretty violently as needed. Ever see the front wheel wobble? I see it a lot on MotoGP. So who knows what is going on at the exact second that pic was taken.

You countersteer (push/press) on the bar in the direction you want to go. It does that momentary glance away and then rolls into the turn you initiated. Once you are leaned and in the turn, I can tell you this is not a position the bike wants to stay in, so you have to hold it there. Just subtle inputs on the bars. And unless you're on a perfect arc, the radius may increase or decrease, which requires adjustment as well, if you're going to hold your line. And you should be gradually increasing throttle through the curve.

Please watch this video. Note at 2:42 - 'Press & Lean - "Countersteer"'

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:31 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
If you are racing on a track...
You have obviously never been on a race track.

Old 10-18-2016 | 02:34 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
You have obviously never been on a race track.
You are right. I have never been on a race track. I had a real good friend who use to race motorcycles.

Have you? If so, I have a few questions for you.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 02:38 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Good Lord Almighty.....don't forget to put down your kickstand!!!
By pushing down..., or forward

Ghost

Quick Reply: Counter-steering