General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016 | 11:30 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
its like talking to one of my kids....
Red, I'm sure your kids are a lot smarter. And btw, I'd ride with you anytime.

The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016 | 11:34 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Glyder54
Mike....go to your nearest off ramp on an interstate with a big sweeping cloverleaf .. take it at a speed...dont countersteer by the definition everyone here is telling you then give us a call from the hospital.
First, no one is saying that you don't lean. And second if the radius of the curve is changing, which they usually are, you do have to adjust your lean in the curve. If you have to counter-steer it is because the radius of the curve is changing on you.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 11:35 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Here...lets break it down barney style for you....and make sure to read the part where it says maintain pressure on the bars....ohh and the part about looking where you want to go....since I was wrong about that also....

http://www.wikihow.com/Countersteer-(Motorcycle)

Keep your head up. Maintain pressure on the handlebars and look through the turn to the road ahead of you. Avoid looking at the side of the road or other distractions as target fixation can cause you to go directly toward it. Look at the path in the road you want to be on.

Old 10-18-2016 | 11:40 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by redrider0151
here...lets break it down barney style for you....and make sure to read the part where it says maintain pressure on the bars....ohh and the part about looking where you want to go....since i was wrong about that also....

http://www.wikihow.com/countersteer-(motorcycle)

keep your head up. maintain pressure on the handlebars and look through the turn to the road ahead of you. Avoid looking at the side of the road or other distractions as target fixation can cause you to go directly toward it. Look at the path in the road you want to be on.
There is a definition of Countersteering provided in this link from the author of "Proficient Motorcycling". Notice his use of the words "momentary dynamic input"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15603735

Now, go back to the wikepedia article, once again they define it using the word "momentarily"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 11:56 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikerR1
There is a definition of Countersteering provided in this link from the author of "Proficient Motorcycling". Notice his use of the words "momentary dynamic input"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15603735

Now, go back to the wikepedia article, once again they define it using the word "momentarily"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering
Dude...read what you want to read.....I dont care what it says....I can tell you right now that when you are leaned over you need to maintain the pressure on the inside of the bar or your bike will stand up....you are seeing what you want to see in a sentence in a book....go ride and remove your hands from the bars in a turn when leaned over and see what happens...geez.,..its literally that simple dude...

Old 10-18-2016 | 11:58 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Dude...read what you want to read.....I dont care what it says....I can tell you right now that when you are leaned over you need to maintain the pressure on the inside of the bar or your bike will stand up....you are seeing what you want to see in a sentence in a book....go ride and remove your hands from the bars in a turn when leaned over and see what happens...geez.,..its literally that simple dude...
That is not counter-steering. Counter-steering is a momentary input.

Here is the third place that we get the definition for counter-steering as a "momentary input"

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 12:00 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikerR1
That is not counter-steering.
IT MOST CERTAINLY IS!!! holy crap!! Ok I am out....I cant take it anymore...

So you think "Counter-steering" is the 10th of a second that is used to set your lean angle and thats it.....not the inside pressure that is used to keep that lean angle throughout the turn???? LOLOLOL cmon dude....you sure you went to an MSF Course??? You must have been asleep that day....

Last edited by RedRider0151; 10-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2016 | 12:12 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

IT MOST CERTAINLY IS!!! holy crap!! Ok I am out....I cant take it anymore...

So you think "Counter-steering" is the 10th of a second that is used to set your lean angle and thats it.....not the inside pressure that is used to keep that lean angle throughout the turn???? LOLOLOL cmon dude....you sure you went to an MSF Course??? You must have been asleep that day....
I am quoting you the definitions. You are not disagreeing with me you are disagreeing with them.

Now frankly, when I go around curves at the speeds I am going around curves I do not notice that I have to keep much pressure on the bars to hold the curve, AT ALL. You keep saying that but I don't notice it. I'll look for it next time I'm out riding.

Let me ask you this? If you did not keep the pressure on the bars, as you say you do, what would happen?

Old 10-18-2016 | 12:29 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I am finding this thread very entertaining!

Not only because of how stubbornly wrong the OP is, but also because we as a community keep trying to correct him.

I keep thinking that this guy/gal is laughing his a** off with his buddies - as I find it hard to believe anyone can be so ignorant. Must be a troll...

R,
Sanjuro

The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016 | 12:32 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

This is a good image.
The contrast between where he is looking and the angle of the front wheel make this a very good image. He is looking where he is intending to go. And the front wheel shows a counter-steer (turning the wheel in a direction opposite to the direction in which you want to go)

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-18-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering