Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

If you are going around curves, you are already doing it.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

If you took the basic course 15 yrs ago, I would recommend an intermediate or advance course now - the basic course is typically taught on a small 250cc bike - the rest of the courses will be taught on your bike.
Next counter-steering is just that, you are turning the handlebars in the counter direction of the way you want to turn - this is not a big movement and one with practice you'll get the hang of - sounds like a WTF moment but it actually works great - the harder you press away from you (not down) on the inside turn side of the handlebar (push away on the right side handlebar for right hand turns - push away on the left side handlebar for left hand turns) - and looking as far up the road as possible at the exact place you want the bike to go, the more the bike will turn
Say you are approaching a right hand tight turn - as you are about to enter the turn you will be close to the center line of your lane, you'll do a slight decal as needed (always decal before the turn never apply the brakes in the turn), you start to push the right side of the handlebar away from you and steer the bike toward the inside portion of your lane in the turn at the apex and you will feel the bike start to lean over on the right side, if you need to turn tighter - push harder, as you exit the apex of the turn allow the bike to float back and straighten up to the center line of your lane and start to accelerate - in reality you are making more of a straight line thru the turn, from outside - to the inside - back to the outside, you do this because the wheels of the bike will want to push you towards the outside of the lane so if you need to make a correction while in the turn (pothole, rock) its easier to let the bike float out then mussel it towards the inside of the turn.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

When I first heard this from the instructor, I did a WHAT? In my head, it sounded and seemed wrong but he was correct. Not when I do this, I always think of him telling us about it.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Counter steering along with shifting your body position or just your weight just slightly will get you to where you are looking to go. Go find some backroad county highways and do some practicing.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The actual input can be done by one finger.

Prove it to your self on the next curve you come to. Over thinking will make you a statistic.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Check my sig.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,095 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
The actual input can be done by one finger.

Prove it to your self on the next curve you come to. Over thinking will make you a statistic.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Check my sig.
Do you find it hard to remember the correct angle that you need to push up and out for each bike?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
You have to push up and forward at a 18 degree angle (for a touring bike). A lot of people do it wrong by simply pushing forward.
WTF ? You are pushing "up" at 18 degrees? You are already sitting far above the handle bars. What are you doing? Laying down across the tank?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
You have to push up and forward at a 18 degree angle (for a touring bike). A lot of people do it wrong by simply pushing forward.
Please document this.

Links, proof, etc.

What a fricking stupid post.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Anyone who's ridden a bicycle can ride a motorcycle-same principles only faster and heavier.
Some people think simple things have to be complicated to be effective or understood.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sling Blade 14:
MikeTD3 (10-14-2016), Mxdad (10-12-2016), TangSooDoMan (10-30-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Please document this.

Links, proof, etc.

What a fricking stupid post.
Your responses to his statement has me cracking up. 99.9999% sure he is just messing around with the 18 degree statement. Funny, though.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: Counter-steering