General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016 | 10:38 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1

I push down on the handlebars with my hand and down on the foot pegs with my foot. DOWN. And the bike leans but it does not lean much that is why I have to slow down.
Don't you think you are increasing your risk level by "slowing down a lot" unexpectedly?

Well if Keith is as good as you say he is then he will agree with me because I am proof that it can be done if you go slow enough relative to the curvature of curve.
Keith is good, but you've found a strategy to ride your motorcycle. (Albeit a dangerous strategy, but a strategy none the less.)

I am not arguing that it should be done my way. I am actually arguing that I should be countersteering in those curves and I fully intend to do it. Looking forward to it actually.
You can change a motorcycle's direction, by pushing DOWN on a peg, but it'll result in only large graceful arcs. And you'll have to weigh a lot to any great effect.

Here's your problem~ Using your technique, once you commit to a turn, you can not quickly adjust your line to avoid debris or whatever. You also don't have the capability to utilize one of the largest safety strategies in motorcycling. That would be the SWERVE.
The swerve can be a life saving skill, just like braking. This is why we stress this skill in class. Heavily.
Every RiderCoach I know that works with students in the classroom and on the range, strives to help students acquire this skill.

Oddly, dirtbike riders have a tough time with this as they mostly ride tracks where it's the same thing, lap after lap. They don't need to be able to adjust their line in a split second. They can't tolerate evasive maneuvers at all. Heck, they use target fixation as a "tool!" (We can use it also, but that's another thread.)

Yes, it's that important, and you don't seem to have it. You need it.

Old 10-14-2016 | 10:55 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Don't you think you are increasing your risk level by "slowing down a lot" unexpectedly? Keith is good, but you've found a strategy to ride your motorcycle. (Albeit a dangerous strategy, but a strategy none the less.) You can change a motorcycle's direction, by pushing DOWN on a peg, but it'll result in only large graceful arcs. And you'll have to weigh a lot to any great effect.

Here's your problem~ Using your technique, once you commit to a turn, you can not quickly adjust your line to avoid debris or whatever. You also don't have the capability to utilize one of the largest safety strategies in motorcycling. That would be the SWERVE.
The swerve can be a life saving skill, just like braking. This is why we stress this skill in class. Heavily.
Every RiderCoach I know that works with students in the classroom and on the range, strives to help students acquire this skill.

Oddly, dirtbike riders have a tough time with this as they mostly ride tracks where it's the same thing, lap after lap. They don't need to be able to adjust their line in a split second. They can't tolerate evasive maneuvers at all. Heck, they use target fixation as a "tool!" (We can use it also, but that's another thread.)

Yes, it's that important, and you don't seem to have it. You need it.
There are a lot of posts in this thread and you probably did not read them all. But if you had you would have found out that I AM NOT ADVOCATING MY WAY OF COUNTERSTEERING. I have said repeatedly that I have not been doing countersteering correctly. I have said that in my MSF course the instructor said to press left to go left and press right to go right but he left it to each student to determine what "press" meant. I interpreted "press" to mean press down. He did not say "push" he said "Press".

I realize I am not doing it correctly, and I suspected that there were others who were not doing it correctly and that was one reason I started this thread.

Because of posts like yours and Idaho's and many many others I am positive that everyone now has a very clear idea of what is counter-steering and how to do it properly. I am positive of it.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-14-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2016 | 11:20 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

It was not just counter-steering in the wrong direction that caused that accident. He was going to fast for that road. When you cannot see ahead you slow down. Counter-steering is only one of the rules, the other is to look where you are going.
Counter steering can prevent an accident at times, even if the rider is going too fast. The video you are commenting on, as well as the last few minutes of Keith Code's video, and the last paragraph of post #121 exemplify that. Is it better to think 'I shoulda done...', or take corrective action to prevent a possible tragedy? Sometimes 'stuff' happens and it good to know how to do things in response.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-14-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2016 | 11:52 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

If I knew how to delete this post I would have deleted it.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-15-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2016 | 03:58 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I find it interesting how someone can ask a question about something and in a couple of days they're now the expert

For the record, I made more corn in the microwave tonight. Then, I put synthetic butter on it. Now, where did I put the cap to the butter?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I counterbalance the bike when making tight U-turns. Do I still need to do that if my engine is counterbalanced?

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Mike,

Serious question. Do you like bikes?
You heard it here first guys. Mikelikesbikes.

Now, how do you feel about dump trucks?
Sir, have you ever pointed a handgun at a dump truck?
Thinking about the OP, these questions crossed my mind as well.

If I knew how to delete this post I would have deleted it.
You can't delete posts newbie; only the moderators can.

Old 10-15-2016 | 06:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

It was not just counter-steering in the wrong direction that caused that accident. He was going to fast for that road. When you cannot see ahead you slow down. Counter-steering is only one of the rules, the other is to look where you are going.

I don't think so. if you look at his speedo, he was only doing 45-50 mph. that shouldn't have been a problem on that road. hell, texas has roads that are only marginally better that have a 75mph speed limit.

Old 10-15-2016 | 07:53 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member

I read and reply to what I want, newb. Your lack of intelligence is not intimidating to anyone. I deal with government workers daily. I'm used to explaining things to idiots.

Oh so accurate a statement.

The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016 | 09:02 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch
I don't think so. if you look at his speedo, he was only doing 45-50 mph. that shouldn't have been a problem on that road. hell, texas has roads that are only marginally better that have a 75mph speed limit.
I did look at the speedo. But you ask a good question, what was the speed limit on that road? I know it was not 75mph because it was a single lane in each direction. For speeds of 75 you have to have at least two lanes in each direction and a divided highway. (I think).

It would be nice to know the speed limit on that road.

Old 10-15-2016 | 09:11 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I find it interesting how someone can ask a question about something and in a couple of days they're now the expert
Zactly. Classic troll thread.

Old 10-15-2016 | 09:13 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by nevada72
Zactly. Classic troll thread.
There are definitely some trolls in this thread, but the OP is not one of them.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering