General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016 | 08:36 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I don't need your help. The phrase "with friends like you I do not need any enemies" comes to mind.
You have friends?

Not trying to brag, but I had pegged how serious this thread was by post #20.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 10-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:20 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
You have friends?

Not trying to brag, but I had pegged how serious this thread was by post #20.
You still have not got it right so I would not be bragging. You did not contribute anything to this thread. Nothing. I had you pegged on your first post. You are intimidated by anyone with an education. And you really got bent out of shape when you did not get thanked for your 18 degree input. And then you just became flat out rude and I ignored it.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-14-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:33 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

You are intimidated by anyone with an education. And you really got bent out of shape when you did not get thanked for your 18 degree input.
You got me there. Your depth of riding knowledge and ability to comprehend is truly fascinating. I can see that you will be a fantastic addition to the forum. I can't wait to see your next thread. Perhaps something regarding riding fast uphill in a straight line? How to twist the wrist properly, or something? You're the joke in this thread and you still don't get it.

Old 10-14-2016 | 09:36 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

This link
is even better then Keith Code's video in post #140 or my explanation in post #121 in this thread.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-14-2016 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:41 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
You got me there. Your depth of riding knowledge and ability to comprehend is truly fascinating. I can see that you will be a fantastic addition to the forum. I can't wait to see your next thread. Perhaps something regarding riding fast uphill in a straight line? How to twist the wrist properly, or something? You're the joke in this thread and you still don't get it.
Well at least you admit that you are intimated by those with an education. As I told someone else, I am not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts. Do yourself a favor and skip over them.

Old 10-14-2016 | 09:42 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWViatY_LA is even better then Keith Code's video in post #140 or my explanation in post #121 in this thread.
I've been watching this for over 190 posts now, thanks for posting this. Maybe some of the stupidity will stop.

Last edited by kel03; 10-14-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:51 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Well at least you admit that you are intimated by those with an education. As I told someone else, I am not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts. Do yourself a favor and skip over them.
I read and reply to what I want, newb. Your lack of intelligence is not intimidating to anyone. I deal with government workers daily. I'm used to explaining things to idiots.

Old 10-14-2016 | 09:54 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by kel03
I've been watching this for over 190 posts now, thanks for posting this. Maybe some of the stupidity will stop.
It was not just counter-steering in the wrong direction that caused that accident. He was going to fast for that road. When you cannot see ahead you slow down. Counter-steering is only one of the rules, the other is to look where you are going.

Old 10-14-2016 | 09:58 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

...I did not say I did not know what counter-steering was, I said I was not doing it right...
First of all, thanks for coming out and asking questions. As I know you already know, it's the best way to learn new things. However, as you're already learning, you do have to pick the nuggets of wisdom out of the ****. Hopefully I can help a little bit.

Full disclosure, I am a training junkie. I love to learn new skills, and I love to practice. I take one rider training class every season so I can keep my skills up. I have gotten local riders together on out-of-the-way parking lots on a Sunday afternoon, put out some cones, and had a little class.

1. Countersteering is real. It is how you make a bicycle turn, and it is how you make a motorcycle turn. No, you can't make a motorcycle turn without doing it. You might be able to lean your weight over, and push down on the handlebars, and make the bike lean enough to turn a little bit, but you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of taking a "real" curve at real speed without assertively countersteering. That's why you are beginning to understand that you're not doing it as correctly as you could be.

2. "Push" means forward. That's the only way handlebars will move. That's the only way the steering head bearings will allow the forks to turn. Push straight forward.

3. That's only half of it, though. And the fact that it's only half of it is why your countersteering isn't smooth and effective. Why on earth would you be taught to only push? Why on earth would anybody be taught to try to turn an 800 pound motorcycle with only one hand? That's just stupid. You MUST use BOTH arms. Push and pull. Both arms. 50-50. When you first practice pulling, find your favorite curvy road, take the curves steering with one arm only, and only pull. So, on right curves, don't push with your right, pull with your left. On left hand curves, don't push with your left, pull with your right. For the first time, ever, you'll really feel the force you're exerting on the handlebars. Then, put both arms together. Butter.

4. You already know about "Look where you want to go". That isn't being taught well, either. Looking with your eyes won't do it. You MUST turn your head. A lot. A long way. As far as you can turn your head. Because, when you turn your head a long way, your shoulders turn along with it. When your shoulders turn, you tend to lean your body into the turn. And that's what you're supposed to do. Most untrained riders do the opposite: When they turn right, instead of leaning their body right, they tend to keep their body upright, and lean the bike underneath. That makes the bike lean more than it needs to, which makes things scrape the road, and that's bad.

5. If you really want to get good at looking and leaning into the curve, think about trying to kiss the inside mirror. Keep your head level. Think about getting your chin over your wrist. Keep your head level. This CANNOT happen if you're tense. You must completely relax your waist and your core, so you can lean your torso both forward and into the curve. You never have weight on your wrists or the handlebars. You support your weight by gently squeezing the tank with your thighs. Gently squeeze the tank with your thighs, keep your waist soft, keep your arms soft, lean forward and lean into the curve, try to touch the inside mirror with your chin. Practice. You should feel the inside of your outside thigh against the tank. That's what's holding your bodyweight, not your arms or your core. When you lean into the curve with your body, your body is now inside the bike, not outside the bike. When your body is inside the bike, the combined center of gravity of your body and the bike is inside the centerline of the bike, and that makes the bike lean LESS. The less the bike leans, the greater the remaining traction, and the greater the margin of safety. Try it in a curve. As soon as you really lean your body into the turn more than the bike is leaning into the turn, you will immediately sense the bike leaning less. It's magic.

6. Ever have an "oh, ****" moment? I have. I'll probably have more. Here's the tragedy of how countersteering is usually taught. Riders are taught to push. When you go into a curve too hot, and you realize you're in deep ****, you're taught to "push more". Here's the problem: I guarantee, without exception, if your brain is screaming "PUSH", you're pushing with both arms. It's like a downhill skier who's going too fast...you start to lean back. It's instinctive. When you go into a curve too fast, you tense up, both arms tense up, and while one is pushing, the other one is, at best, tense. The other arm must come back, and it can't come back if it's tense. That's why you must practice using both arms. If you get into an oh **** moment, don't think push, think PULL!!. It will save your ***. And look through and lean into the curve.

I hope this gives you something to think about, and I hope it helps. Keep learning, and ride safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
CVO SG (10-16-2016), MikerR1 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016 | 10:24 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Unintentional double post. Mod can delete. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering