General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016 | 05:59 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikerR1

What I love about riding my motorcycle is the torque and the sound of my engine. I know how to build a good torque engine that sounds good(to me). I like to go 100 mph up a long steep incline. I love the sound of the pipes. I don't ride the "twisties" as people like to call them. I find them laborious. But as I said several times already, I have a new bike and I have to learn how to counter-steer and I am looking forward to it. But I still will not ride the "twisties", it is not what I like to do. I have absolutely no desire to go to the "Tail of the Dragon" to go riding motocycles. Too many people and too many curves.

Now, don't misinterpret this either. I do like long gentle sweeping curves. I like to lean but not that much (that may change). And I do love accelerating out of a curve. I slow down going in and I accelerate coming out.

I love acceleration, but not short accelerations that you get in tight curves. I like long accelerations. I love being pushed back in my bike. I don't use a windshield. I like the wind. I wear a full face helmet and still I love the sound of my pipes.

Basically, I love to accelerate on my bike!
Ok.....you're messing with us. I get it. Now run back to the Busa forums.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

No wonder so may H-D riders go off the road and crash at high speed curves. Half don't appear to have a clue how to maneuver at highway speeds. Or even do emergency braking or object avoidance while we're at this.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:02 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Tenn
no sir I'm not. I ride a HD bagger and that's how I ride it.

TN
Just ignore them. Let them ride their lawnmowers.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:21 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by nevada72
Ok.....you're messing with us. I get it. Now run back to the Busa forums.

You are letting me know that you do not know what a real bike feels like. You still have that flat spot right off of idle don't you? I hated that flat spot. Spent a lot of time figuring out how to remove it.

There is a reason why most(probably all) dyno charts for Harleys don't start until 2000 rpms.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:33 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

You are letting me know that you do not know what a real bike feels like. You still have that flat spot right off of idle don't you? I hated that flat spot. Spent a lot of time figuring out how to remove it.

There is a reason why most(probably all) dyno charts for Harleys don't start until 2000 rpms.
You are so right. I don't know what a real bike feels like. Please.....wOW me with your tales of flat spots off idle. You clearly are a master of all things two wheeled (including bicycles)......

...oh.....

Wait.

You don't know what counter steering is.

C'mon.....admit it. You're an internet pilot that happens to ride. You know counter steering threads will generate more clicks than the usual douche-baggery troll post about how much better a Gold Wing is than a Harley. Because no one that actually rides could be as clueless as you are making yourself out to be.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:42 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

You are so right. I don't know what a real bike feels like. Please.....wOW me with your tales of flat spots off idle. You clearly are a master of all things two wheeled (including bicycles)......

...oh.....

Wait.

You don't know what counter steering is.

C'mon.....admit it. You're an internet pilot that happens to ride. You know counter steering threads will generate more clicks than the usual douche-baggery troll post about how much better a Gold Wing is than a Harley. Because no one that actually rides could be as clueless as you are making yourself out to be.
I have not been trying to WOW anyone, but thanks for letting me know.

I did not say I did not know what counter-steering was, I said I was not doing it right.

I am sorry if what I know (and don't know) intimidates you, it truly was not my intention.

The number of clicks on this thread is what tells me that a lot of people out there want to drive their motorcycles better. And even though we have to wade through a few a***, the point has been made. They know what it is now.

My way of riding is safe for me and it is a hell of a lot of fun! I go fast UPHILLS not down hills. Downhill I go the speed limit.

How did I know that the fellow who had a person show him a bong was trying to tell him he likes his pipes? People do stuff like that when you are on the road and they like the sound of your pipes.

Old 10-14-2016 | 06:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm actually trying to give you credit for more than you're making yourself out to be.

Old 10-14-2016 | 07:00 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

When i ride i don't have to think about inputs. Counter steering is an intuitive ability of anybody with ANY riding major riding experience. The moment a rider has to think about now to negotiate a curve they might be in trouble. I don't counter steer when i ride intentionally. I do it instinctively without thought. I've been riding two wheelers for over 40 years although.

Old 10-14-2016 | 07:01 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Just ignore them. Let them ride their lawnmowers.
Mine's a push mower. It was originally blue.

It's not anymore.

Old 10-14-2016 | 07:06 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

I'm actually trying to give you credit for more than you're making yourself out to be.
I don't need your help. The phrase "with friends like you I do not need any enemies" comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering