General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:21 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Please go ride a dirtbike and learn these skills before you kill someone else because your scared to turn. Your not the only one. I was behind a brand new softail and the guy would slow to 10mph in a 55 zone on turns. He probably didn't know to counter steer huh? I came around a blind turn doing the speed limit and almost killed him.
There is no way mikerr1 rides a motorcycle. If he does it scares me that he is actually on the road.

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:24 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Please go ride a dirtbike and learn these skills before you kill someone else because your scared to turn. Your not the only one. I was behind a brand new softail and the guy would slow to 10mph in a 55 zone on turns. He probably didn't know to counter steer huh? I came around a blind turn doing the speed limit and almost killed him.
There is no way mikerr1 rides a motorcycle. If he does it scares me that he is actually on the road.
If you are too scared to be on the road, then I suggest you get off the road. Keep to the dirt track. Who knows, I may counter-steer the pants off of you!

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:36 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I may counter-steer the pants off of you!
lol

Have to add that one to my signature

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016 | 11:41 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Now Mike has over a thousand posts in the month since he has joined and half of them in this thread. Something fishy here.

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:42 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

After 15 years in the dirt and street I know my skills are up to par. I still consider myself a novice rider though. I'm guessing you've never watched someone die on the side of the road because a stupid mistake. You are riding a motorcycle... You must be proficient at it. I really doubt you don't get it. This has to be a joke.
The reason I say this should be second nature is because you will not have time to think, just time to act. I was in the hospital last week for bouncing off a car When a minivan cut me off with 30 feet to brake from 50mph... And stopped blocking my lane. Could you Counter steer, controlled slide, and whip the *** end of the bike around a stopped van? There is no hobby that requires the skill of riding a motorcycle. Especially today with these **** drivers. Its your life on your bike. Please be safe.

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:45 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Please, God, let this thread die!

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
soft 02 (10-25-2016), Yamaharley (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016 | 11:48 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Please, God, let this thread die!
I posted some good stuff. But the trolls keep covering it up. Watch the beginning of the following video, you might learn something.

You will definitely see what a stable lean looks like. Definitely no counter-steering during the lean.

Watch this video (right after it starts) for the riderless motorcycle. The bike does not stand up, it keeps its lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_u...B5lSBaD#t=2m8s

"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink." Watch the video.

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:50 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior

I don't get Miker's concern about a stable lean. I'm pretty sure that if you gave the bar an initial nudge to establish lean and then all things remained same, the bike would travel the same radius indefinitely.

But the above is not a real world concern. There are many factors that can come into play once a lean has been established that require a change in radius or lean. Ever entered a blind curve and met an oncoming car half in your lane? Or a pot-hole? Or dead chit? Or tar snakes?

Point is you need control of your bike at all times and a stable lean is your least concern

Old 10-25-2016 | 11:53 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
You were on the debate team in high school, right?
He's obviously a master debater

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016 | 12:01 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by LoneRiderFLH
I don't get Miker's concern about a stable lean. I'm pretty sure that if you gave the bar an initial nudge to establish lean and then all things remained same, the bike would travel the same radius indefinitely.

But the above is not a real world concern. There are many factors that can come into play once a lean has been established that require a change in radius or lean. Ever entered a blind curve and met an oncoming car half in your lane? Or a pot-hole? Or dead chit? Or tar snakes?

Point is you need control of your bike at all times and a stable lean is your least concern
There are many people who participated in this thread who have steadfastly maintained that as soon as you take the pressure off the bars when a bike is leaning it will stand upright. They do not and did not believe in the stable lean theory. They think that you had to continually counter-steer to do that.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering