Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

1,000 replies!!!! Mikey gets a Happy Meal!!! Let us look back at the post that started it all!!

In the MSF course I took years ago I was told to "press right go right; press left go left".

Here is my question. What do they mean by press? Do they mean press the left bar DOWN or press the left bar FORWARD?

The word "press" is ambiguous in the context of counter-steering.

If you are a MSF instructor I think you need to make sure your students understand what you mean by the word "press", when you say "press left go left, press right go right". You must clearly define what you mean by the word "press".

I have a heavier bike now with a lower center of gravity and the way I have been doing countersteering (pushing DOWN on the handlebar) is not working as good for me.

Does this sound like an adult motorcycle owner??? "I have been doing countersteering wrong"...Seriously? How the &*$# do you "push down" on the handlebars of an imaginary Fatboy?

Last edited by rdam; 10-24-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
1,000 replies!!!! Mikey gets a Happy Meal!!! Let us look back at the post that started it all!!

In the MSF course I took years ago I was told to "press right go right; press left go left".

Here is my question. What do they mean by press? Do they mean press the left bar DOWN or press the left bar FORWARD?

If you are a MSF instructor I think you need to make sure your students understand what you mean by the word "press", when you say "press left go left, press right go right". You must clearly define what you mean by the word "press".

I have a heavier bike now with a lower center of gravity and the way I have been doing countersteering (pushing DOWN on the handlebar) is not working as good for me.

Does this sound like an adult motorcycle owner??? "I have been doing countersteering wrong"...Seriously?
I should have said the way I have been implementing counter-steering is not working for me.

Funny thing is, I tried pushing forward on the bars and that was worse, much worse. When pushing the right bar I always got some throttle in the push and I did not like that at all. It is not natural to press forward on the handlebars given my rider position.

I found when riding the other day that I implement counter-steering in many different ways, sometimes I pull the outside bar instead of pushing the inside bar. It all depends on what feels natural at the time.

The best thing that came out of all of this is I am looking further down the road more than I was before and more relaxed on the bike. I feel I understand the physics of what is going on much better which gives me confidence and because of that I trust the bike more. The large sweeper curve problem I had on the highway is solved.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,910 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I should have said the way I have been implementing counter-steering is not working for me.

Funny thing is, I tried pushing forward on the bars and that was worse, much worse. When pushing the right bar I always got some throttle in the push and I did not like that at all. It is not natural to press forward on the handlebars given my rider position.

I found when riding the other day that I implement counter-steering in many different ways, sometimes I pull the outside bar instead of pushing the inside bar. It all depends on what feels natural at the time.

The best thing that came out of all of this is I am looking further down the road more than I was before and more relaxed on the bike. I feel I understand the physics of what is going on much better which gives me confidence and because of that I trust the bike more. The large sweeper curve problem I had on the highway is solved.
Here is the thing.. Can you stuff the bike into a corner? If so you are doing what we all consider counter-steer.. The exception is if you are really pushing the bar down.. BTW it safe to assume that you can be pulling in the opposite directions the other bar.. If pushing down on the bar you are keeping your body upright, you are doing what is good for a low speed.

Anther BTW.. I got 1000!! Do I get a coupon for set of steak knives or least an Egg McMuffin?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:18 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

I do everything, push and pull, mostly with my right arm. My left arm is basically just along for the ride. No pun intended.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-24-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a heavier bike with a lower center of gravity and the way I have been doing countersteering (pushing DOWN on the handlebar) is not working as good for me.
This thread started off as a noobie asking how to countersteer. Okay, we can help a new cyclist. Then when we reply MikerR1 is like "So I've been doing some googling and you guys are all wrong. The internet has made me an expert and I'll tell you how it's done."
Look at the his replies on the first page or 2.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 10-24-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:58 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

The large sweeper curve problem I had on the highway is solved.
What problem did you have?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

And you are admitting that your opinion is useless as well.
Wishful thinking bruh. I am admitting that I am not a physicist, but I am a very experienced motorcyclist and am more than qualified to explain how counter-steering works. This makes my opinion at least somewhat useful.

You on the other-hand are neither a physicist or a motorcyclist, which makes your opinion completely worthless.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

No you didn't. This is complete BS. You are more likely to roll on more throttle if you were pulling, not pushing. But, truly... it does not require that much effort to counter-steer, so accidentally rolling on/off throttle is highly unlikely.

It is quite obvious that you have never operated a motorcycle.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

OMG!!! Anyone that posts on this useless thread from this post onward is no longer my friend. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Wishful thinking bruh. I am admitting that I am not a physicist, but I am a very experienced motorcyclist and am more than qualified to explain how counter-steering works. This makes my opinion at least somewhat useful.

You on the other-hand are neither a physicist or a motorcyclist, which makes your opinion completely worthless.
You are admitting that you do not give a damn about the technical concepts. You say you are qualified to explain how counter-steering works but when I ask you to comment on a very simple technical article you are not able to understand it. You may have many years of experience but it is useless unless you can translate into technical jargon. As I said several times before "keith needs to read more and ride less".

Quick Reply: Counter-steering