General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leary about letting anyone touch my bike again

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:33 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Leary about letting anyone touch my bike again

Passenger backrest had been coming loose for the last couple months so I would tighten it,noticed it had three bolts that were torx and one for a allen wrench so it looks like when I took it in to get the fender replaced after I was hit the dealer must have lost one and during the ride today it got loose and was driving me nuts with the squeek so it came apart when I got home . The non matching bolt was of a different thread count and the lower bolt on that side had broken so off it came and had to drill that bolt out and will be getting 4 chrome bolts at the hardware store that will be able to be tightened with a wrench and not torx or allens,I know it was nothing major but when it requires a 1/4 20 bolt put one back in and not a metric or 1/4 28 or what ever it was. I should have put some loctite on the bolts but wanting to get a rack that bolts there and will do it when I get one but the new bolts will go on with lock nuts for.now,one would think that someone who works for a dealer would be able to get a bolt with the correct thread count.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:36 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyardscrounger
Passenger backrest had been coming loose for the last couple months so I would tighten it,noticed it had three bolts that were torx and one for a allen wrench so it looks like when I took it in to get the fender replaced after I was hit the dealer must have lost one and during the ride today it got loose and was driving me nuts with the squeek so it came apart when I got home . The non matching bolt was of a different thread count and the lower bolt on that side had broken so off it came and had to drill that bolt out and will be getting 4 chrome bolts at the hardware store that will be able to be tightened with a wrench and not torx or allens,I know it was nothing major but when it requires a 1/4 20 bolt put one back in and not a metric or 1/4 28 or what ever it was. I should have put some loctite on the bolts but wanting to get a rack that bolts there and will do it when I get one but the new bolts will go on with lock nuts for.now,one would think that someone who works for a dealer would be able to get a bolt with the correct thread count.
No one cares about your bike as much as you do. It is just the way it is. When you work on your own bike you will drop bolts, make scratches etc, but the difference is you will know how each and every scratch was placed on that bike!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts

At the very least, chase the threads with a tap, but if a different thread was used, you most likely have to repair that one with a heli-coil.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

What year is the bike? Did you buy it new?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Find a person that you trust to work on the bike if you don't have the time, space, tools, etc. to do it yourself.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
No one cares about your bike as much as you do.
Bingo. For me, my last straw was when my ex-dealer forgot to attach the bolts on for the upper exhaust and started the pipe started cracking in half. I got a new pipe but only after another week in the shop.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:26 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Quality workmanship has gone the same direction as quality parts - down hill, we've become a disposable nation, just toss the bad **** away and buy new

Old 10-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts

I agree with you also I've had my new older Sporty just 2 weeks and it's been in the shop 2 times and both times I had to fix what they did, I'm not the greatest machinic, but I will Lear all I can so I don't have to depend on anyone.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:47 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I try to do what I can myself. Some things I dont have the tools or skills. Yes, I have a manual.
I hate it when I have to trust someone else.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:16 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

For me, working on your bike is a big part of the overall motorcycling experience. I find it relaxing and enjoyable, and I like the satisfaction of going down the road knowing that my bike runs the way it does because I made it that way.

The following users liked this post:
HenryT (10-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Leary about letting anyone touch my bike again