General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

This isn't an attempt at a professional review. I'm just giving some basic feedback on my experience for those interested. I haven't done any test rides in a long time, so I thought with these wholesale changes in American motorcycles, I'd give them a try.

2017 Harley Road Glide & Street Glide

Road each bike about 10 miles on access roads and interstate. I wanted to hit a couple twisties, but didn't have the time.

The Good:

- Lots of power. Every bit as good as advertised. No need to downshift in higher gears. They did their homework.
- Suspension is awesome. I noticed a huge difference when I got back on my 13 FLHRC.
- Shifting is seamless - not "clunky."
- Fantastic handling.
- Infotainment systems are great. Really like both the navigation and music options.
- I preferred the ergonomics of the Road Glide, as the fairing sits more forward. Made me feel like I had more room. I felt a bit claustrophobic with the Street Glide fairing. This was probably my biggest surprise.
- Stock seating is pretty comfortable. I'm a big guy, and the seats are much better than my stock seat.
- Brakes are fantastic. First time trying linked ABS. I hammered them a couple times and they respond.

The Bad:

- The sound of the motor isn't great. I won't say it sucks, but it's close to sucking. I even rode one with the Stage 1 slip ons, and it's still nowhere near any older Stage 1 set up. This is a huge disappointment to me. I like the Harley sound, and it's not there with this bike.
- The prices. I know, "thanks, Captain Obvious."
- Trade in values are down due to the glut of inventory, so don't expect much if you're looking to upgrade to a 2017. I saw a ton of older bikes at the dealership.

Overall: Performance, ergonomics and style are definitely there. The gap will be wide if you're looking to trade in, and don't expect good sound until after your 2 year warranty expires. If you do anything aftermarket before that expiration, your warranty is voided. While it's tempting to upgrade, I can't see doing it right now due to inventory issues. They just won't give much on a trade in for an older bike at the moment.

2017 Indian Chieftain:

Same kind of riding - access roads and interstate. This is the first time I had ever ridden an Indian, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's a fine machine. Much better than I expected.

The Good:

- The 111 is no slouch on power. All through the gears I had plenty of power. Sounded pretty good as well. Not Harley good, but not bad.
- Not much of a difference between my 103 shifting and this bike. Pretty good, but nowhere close to the new Harleys.
- For a big, heavy bike, this thing handles great. I could feel the difference of that extra 4-5 inches in length when cornering. I think the lower center of gravity helps as well.
- Ergonimics are a lot different. The foot rests are more forward, which makes you sit more "in" the bike as opposed to upright. Not sure if I explained that right, but as a tall guy 6'3", my knees tend to be at right angles most of the time. On this bike, the angle lessened due to the forward foot rest position. I preferred this seating to my bike. It just felt more comfortable.
- Infotainment system is easily as good as Harleys - maybe a bit better. The screen is larger, and it's closer to the rider.
- Controls are mostly on the left side for turn signals, infotainment, etc.. It wasn't much of an adjustment while riding.
- Comfortable stock seat.
- ABS brakes are good, but they're not linked ABS.

The Bad:

- The brand has returned, but it's only been around now for 4 years. Polaris is pumping money into it, but big corporations cut their losses fairly quickly when they start to bleed. I haven't seen how they're doing, but it makes me wonder.
- Not may dealership options.
- This probably sounds picky, but I'm not a fan of the front fender. That low flair design is kind of cheesy. I guess it's personal preference.
- The motor sound is average, but better than the new Harleys.
- Not many color options, and the colors they have aren't great. I did not see the red and black Chieftain though, and that's probably the best color option.
- Didn't see a lot of add on chrome options like we're used to with Harley. I can't imagine there's much in the way of aftermarket stuff either.

Overall:I walked away impressed with this motorcycle. It's not a Harley, but it's not too far off, and it's one hell of a nice ride. Frankly I'm glad Harley has some competition. I hope Indian and Victory continue to innovate and press Harley to make better products for the marketplace. Would I buy one? Maybe in a few years after they've proven themselves, but I would recommend taking a ride. It's an interesting contrast.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Alamomann; 10-04-2016 at 05:28 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by Alamomann:
Alberta Wind (10-06-2016), Capt Steve (11-07-2016), DinoM (10-05-2016), FattyMcJ (11-08-2016), glide5904 (10-11-2016), LoneWoolf (10-05-2016), oldbie (10-04-2016), rauchman (11-07-2016), Redlegvzv (10-06-2016), Scudda (10-05-2016), tnbillybob (11-07-2016), UPSGUY (10-06-2016) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:33 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the review and comparison

Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 326 Likes on 208 Posts

"and don't expect good sound until after your 2 year warranty expires. If you do anything aftermarket before that expiration, your warranty is voided. "

Are you sure about that?

Old 10-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by sunderhill
Thanks for the review and comparison
You bet. Thanks for reading!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rick58
"and don't expect good sound until after your 2 year warranty expires. If you do anything aftermarket before that expiration, your warranty is voided. "

Are you sure about that?
I read it in a review of the Milwaukee 8, and confirmed it at the dealership with the sales guy as well. The story is they were pressured by the EPA.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58

Are you sure about that?
That is a fantasy in fact. I bought a 2017 new Road Glide Special today at a local dealership. They had installed cams, new breather and new pipes. They made a point of telling me that the newly installed parts would be warrantied for the full 2 years of the "normal" warranty. Was that not true, I wouldn't have bought the bike.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyna rider
That is a fantasy in fact. I bought a 2017 new Road Glide Special today at a local dealership. They had installed cams, new breather and new pipes. They made a point of telling me that the newly installed parts would be warrantied for the full 2 years of the "normal" warranty. Was that not true, I wouldn't have bought the bike.
Must be some sort of dealer waiver, or you simply have a stage 1 with a catalytic converter. It's not a fantasy at all. It's real and it's being implemented in many places.

Found this on the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles

Last edited by Alamomann; 10-04-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:26 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

There's PLENTY of threads discussing HD warranties and voided claims, speculations, and conspiracies. Let's not turn this thread into another 1...........

Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
There's PLENTY of threads discussing HD warranties and voided claims, speculations, and conspiracies. Let's not turn this thread into another 1...........
Well, I asked the question and got the answer so take it for what it's worth. It's not speculation when a dealership tells you warranties will be voided if aftermarket pipes are installed. Again, maybe it's dealer by dealer but it's out there.

See EPA statement as well:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles

Old 10-04-2016, 08:51 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default EPA and Harley Dealers

The bike has more than stage I. It came with a dyno sheet that tells the tale of the mods. It also has a EPA compliant tuner installed.

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain