Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,942 Likes on 12,144 Posts

I see on the HDF main page that the 17 RGU won the best touring bike award at Rider magazine. I'm not surprised. If it's anything like the CVO Limited I rode (same shocks and motor basically) it would totally satisfy my touring needs. Plenty of power and much improved ride. The stock 13 inch hand adjustable shocks were so much improved that I wouldn't replace them. The ride was almost as good as my bike with the 13.5 Progressives.

Now that said, are the changes enough to make me trade my 14 SGS that I have adjusted to fit my needs? No. My bike rides better and fits me better. But the 17 definitely has more power.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Thanks for the time on this.. I looked at the same and found that yes, the Indian was a nice bike BUT IMO, it was style over function. Personally I found the style so over done it was 'uncomfortable' to look at after a while. I ended up buying a Road King, for no other reason than I didn't need all the stuff..

Thanks again
You're welcome. I enjoyed the process.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Weather permitting, I am scheduled to test ride an SG and RG this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it. They have a RGU scheduled to arrive in November. I have my name on it, but still not sure if I want to pull the trigger so soon.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by bradn
Weather permitting, I am scheduled to test ride an SG and RG this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it. They have a RGU scheduled to arrive in November. I have my name on it, but still not sure if I want to pull the trigger so soon.
I really wanted to test ride a CVO, but they didn't have one in stock. Please share your experience.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Alamomann
I really wanted to test ride a CVO, but they didn't have one in stock. Please share your experience.
Will do.

The following users liked this post:
Alamomann (10-12-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 02:31 PM
geost
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I went to a demo event at the Indian dealer in Hollister yesterday and I left sad. I had the chance to demo the Indian Springfield, Scout, Chieftain, Chieftain Dark Horse, Roadmaster and Victory Magnum X1 (or whatever it's called). I hated the Victory (no offense to Victory folks here) but the bike just felt kind of cheap. And the power band up top was weird, obviously because I'm not used to it.

However, of all the Indians, I loved the Chieftain with Ride Command. It was my first time riding any Indian bike and I echo all of Alamomann's points. IMO, I like the fender and fairing. It's not too bad I think. But man, what a ride. The Chieftain was smooooth on the road. I was hitting bumps left and right and the whole time I didn't feel anything. It was weird, like riding a Cadillac, that's how smooth the ride was. It was soft, it was great.

I was also surprised how light the bike felt considering how heavy it is. It does feel light, maneuvering and everything feels great and easy. It feels so well balanced. I loved everything about it except the halogen headlights (easy fix of course). The power windshield is fantastic and that's one of the main options that sold me. I'm getting a Chieftain next spring.

So why did I leave sad? Because when I got on my Harley, it felt clumsy, and heavy. You can really feel the weight. And it's just a Dyna... The vibrations, the handling, is nothing like the Chieftain. So this whole time I've always been happy with my Dyna. Suspension is rough, but I didn't care much about it. Not until I rode the Indian. Dammit. Now I feel like I don't enjoy my Dyna as much haha. The Dark Horse was nice too, same thing of course except visual differences. The Roadmaster was awesome but for me the Chieftain felt perfect for me.

Obviously I don't know how it really compares to the new model '17 SG/RG since I haven't rode one yet. But honestly, Indian has a very good product to compete with Harley. I saw quite a few Harley riders show up to demo the bikes too and they all walked away impressed. My only debate now is to decide whether to keep my Harley or sell it when I get the Indian. I have 8 months to decide. I can't wait until that Chieftain is in my garage.

The following users liked this post:
Alamomann (11-08-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM
ajcjr
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I dont mean to hijack your thread but i am thinking of getting a new harley, i had a RK Classic in 06 and have been thinking RG or SG, just curious is the only difference between the specials the bigger screen and standard abs and security? Is it possible to get ABS and Security on both of these bikes. Just trying to figure out what the $3k gives you. Im also not ruling out a RK but thinking id like to try something else.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,995 Likes on 7,298 Posts

OP thank you for the write up. Very nice to read. I have not had a chance yet to ride any of the new HD' s and never have riden an Indian. Some look nice but overall I am not a fan.

Hard to beat HD with the excellent dealer network. Like you I wonder if they will make it. HD has had some dark days but never quit!

The one thing that makes me love Harley is the love for motorcycles that the founders had. The whole story is remarkable and frankly the folks that ran Indian early on do not have my respect.

Ride safe

Old 11-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by geost
Well, I went to a demo event at the Indian dealer in Hollister yesterday and I left sad. I had the chance to demo the Indian Springfield, Scout, Chieftain, Chieftain Dark Horse, Roadmaster and Victory Magnum X1 (or whatever it's called). I hated the Victory (no offense to Victory folks here) but the bike just felt kind of cheap. And the power band up top was weird, obviously because I'm not used to it.

However, of all the Indians, I loved the Chieftain with Ride Command. It was my first time riding any Indian bike and I echo all of Alamomann's points. IMO, I like the fender and fairing. It's not too bad I think. But man, what a ride. The Chieftain was smooooth on the road. I was hitting bumps left and right and the whole time I didn't feel anything. It was weird, like riding a Cadillac, that's how smooth the ride was. It was soft, it was great.

I was also surprised how light the bike felt considering how heavy it is. It does feel light, maneuvering and everything feels great and easy. It feels so well balanced. I loved everything about it except the halogen headlights (easy fix of course). The power windshield is fantastic and that's one of the main options that sold me. I'm getting a Chieftain next spring.

So why did I leave sad? Because when I got on my Harley, it felt clumsy, and heavy. You can really feel the weight. And it's just a Dyna... The vibrations, the handling, is nothing like the Chieftain. So this whole time I've always been happy with my Dyna. Suspension is rough, but I didn't care much about it. Not until I rode the Indian. Dammit. Now I feel like I don't enjoy my Dyna as much haha. The Dark Horse was nice too, same thing of course except visual differences. The Roadmaster was awesome but for me the Chieftain felt perfect for me.

Obviously I don't know how it really compares to the new model '17 SG/RG since I haven't rode one yet. But honestly, Indian has a very good product to compete with Harley. I saw quite a few Harley riders show up to demo the bikes too and they all walked away impressed. My only debate now is to decide whether to keep my Harley or sell it when I get the Indian. I have 8 months to decide. I can't wait until that Chieftain is in my garage.
Totally agree with this. I've tested a lot of bikes in my quest find my next bagger and the chieftain still tops my list. I still have to test ride the m8 street glide special and Honda f6b before I make my decision next spring but so far the Indian chieftain has been the most impressive.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by geost

Yeah, it's a fantastic machine. The challenge for me is they wouldn't give me much on my trade in - I would have taken a $12,000 bath in value. I have the title to my King, but I'm not letting it go for chump change.

I've decided I will buy a Cheiftain as well, but I'll keep my FLHRC in the garage too.

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain