Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
They had only had one Springfield model in but said when more arrived I could get a test ride on one and offered test rides on the other Chiefs. They begged me to ride the Scout but I wasn't that interested. Probably should have rode it.
Even if you're not in the market for another brand, I find it interesting to compare/contrast between them. I walked away with a much different impression of Indian.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:06 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
Don't and I repeat DON'T fall for any BS that the EPA can regulate anything after point of sale. They can not! They can't go into your garage and check emissions on your bike then, when it fails, tow it away in the middle of the night.
Yet...

Old 10-07-2016, 09:30 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,641 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Arrow a lot lately

I'm getting really tired of threads hi-jacked by those who know, or have been told what the new EPA rules are. I don't care! Start another thread. You are as bad as the "what type of oil is best?" folks. The OP had some good comments on bike comparisons.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:29 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Alamomann
Must be some sort of dealer waiver, or you simply have a stage 1 with a catalytic converter. It's not a fantasy at all. It's real and it's being implemented in many places.

Found this on the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles
Nope, Those are EPA approved parts and tunes. Read the various threads by Fuel Moto...etc about the new bikes.

The parts aren't bad, but the EPA legal tunes leave alot on the table. (that is FM's opinion, not mine,)

Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
I'm getting really tired of threads hi-jacked by those who know, or have been told what the new EPA rules are. I don't care! Start another thread. You are as bad as the "what type of oil is best?" folks. The OP had some good comments on bike comparisons.
Thanks, I appreciate that comment. I certainly didn't intend for this post to turn into an EPA pissing contest. I just rode three bikes and thought I'd share an unpaid opinion.

People who have copies of the EPA legal docs, know the judges, etc. won't pay the attorney fees when you have to sue a dealer to honor a warranty because an aftermarket exhaust was installed. These forums are full of good, knowledgable people. They're also full of know it alls who like to argue nuance of legal renderings instead of putitng miles on their bikes. So be it.

I'm heading to Lubbock, Texas this coming week. If you see a fatass on a white 2013 RKC, that's me. Peace.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,702 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Should have placed INFOTAINMENT systems under "BAD" as they are going to injure/maim/kill more riders than any of the other stuff you mentioned under the "BAD" classification.
Maiming/injuring or killing is "BAD"

Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Should have placed INFOTAINMENT systems under "BAD" as they are going to injure/maim/kill more riders than any of the other stuff you mentioned under the "BAD" classification.
Maiming/injuring or killing is "BAD"
Based on?

Have you ridden the new Harleys? Try opening the wind channels on the Road Glide fairings and tell me about getting someone killed. You want to talk about distracting. They also have GPS systems. I will say this about the Indian - at least all that distracting stuff is at eye level...

Last edited by Alamomann; 10-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,942 Likes on 12,144 Posts

Infotainment certainly has the potential to distract. But so does a speedometer or the old radio on Harleys. There are interlocks once moving that disable certain functions, so there's an attempt to limit that distraction.

Seeing as we, as motorcyclists, have the most to lose by riding distracted, I would like to think that most of us will use the equipment judiciously. Typically I just set it when getting ready to head out and forget it once under way.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72
Seeing as we, as motorcyclists, have the most to lose by riding distracted, I would like to think that most of us will use the equipment judiciously. Typically I just set it when getting ready to head out and forget it once under way.
On point.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:13 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,877 Likes on 2,415 Posts

Thanks for the time on this.. I looked at the same and found that yes, the Indian was a nice bike BUT IMO, it was style over function. Personally I found the style so over done it was 'uncomfortable' to look at after a while. I ended up buying a Road King, for no other reason than I didn't need all the stuff..

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain