Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
You can't believe everything some Bozo in some dealership says and you certainly can't believe everything you see on the web.
Well I'm pretty sure the manager of a dealership and a top sales guy at another know their stuff, but you know them as "bozo's."

See the comments above. We've beaten this horse to death. Having said that if you have a 2017 and you put on aftermarket tuners, pipes or anything related to the exhaust, you better check with your dealership first. Or feel free to hire an attorney and get into a pissing contest with HD. Either way, that's your call. I was simply passing along the information provided.

Wait, I can't believe everything on the internet?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Thanks. for the the review first. Was curious the differences. I, BTW, love the front fender look on indians. I hate the fairing on it though. .. yuck! Lol

Question. So the warranty will be voided when you put on non epa stuff. So if all the aftermarket items you put on are epa approved; your fine and the warranty is still intact. Right? Some here are saying, if I am reading correctly, that anything aftermarket will void the warranty. I think that is BS, hence the question.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Thanks. for the the review first. Was curious the differences. I, BTW, love the front fender look on indians. I hate the fairing on it though. .. yuck! Lol

Question. So the warranty will be voided when you put on non epa stuff. So if all the aftermarket items you put on are epa approved; your fine and the warranty is still intact. Right? Some here are saying, if I am reading correctly, that anything aftermarket will void the warranty. I think that is BS, hence the question.
Honestly, until this is all fleshed out, I'd ask the question to the folks at your dealership before doing anything to the exhaust. There's too much confusion at the moment.

I could get used to the fender. The fairing isn't nearly as stylish as Harley's, but that Cheiftain is a beast. I really enjoyed riding it.

Last edited by Alamomann; 10-05-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The fairing is ugly and the integration of that huge screen is child like. I rode the Polaris offerings wanting to try something new, but the Rushmore drivetrain seemed to have more oompf for moving me and my wife. Also, the switch gauges look like afterthoughts. My wife says the Victory Vision has the best passenger spot of any bike. But I don't buy bikes using that criteria.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:09 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,691 Posts

As has already been stated, and beat to death in multiple threads, and taken this thread off-topic, that is incorrect.

Dribble is correct: I have a copy of the full 38 page Consent Decree between the EPA and the Motor Company. The ONLY thing that voids your powertrain warranty on the spot is using a non-EPA or non-CARB compliant tuner module. Period.

You can put anything you want on the bike. And then you can leave it in stock tune. Or you can tune it with a new SE Pro Street Tuner. Maybe you can get it close enough to a good tune, maybe not. But it will not void your warranty.

Originally Posted by Alamomann
Well I'm pretty sure the manager of a dealership and a top sales guy at another know their stuff...
There are plenty of dealerships and dealer employees that either don't know what they're talking about, or don't want to be straight up with customers, or are flat out lying.

The only thing that will immediately void the powertrain warranty on a 2017 model is the use of a non-EPA or non-CARB compliant tuner module.

Period.

Back to the OP's test rides.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 10-06-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
There are plenty of dealerships and dealer employees that either don't know what they're talking about, or don't want to be straight up with customers, or are flat out lying.

The only thing that will immediately void the powertrain warranty on a 2017 model is the use of a non-EPA or non-CARB compliant tuner module.

Period.

Back to the OP's test rides.
You internet lawyers get a lot of people into unnecessary pissing contests. Do what you will to your exhaust. It's a free country. However, when your warranty is voided because some guy on the internet told you it wouldn't be, please forward all attorney fees accordingly.

Period.

Last edited by Alamomann; 10-06-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Here's my advice to anyone with a 2017 looking to do something aftermarket with the exhaust: Do your research, and while you're at it, maybe get something in writing from HD or your local dealership (email exchange, etc) until clear guidance is communicated.

With that, opinions are like ********. Don't believe me or anyone else in this thread. Do your own research and CYA.

I'm a busy guy with a busy life, and I like to ride. I'm no expert on any front. I spent some time sharing my experience with the new bikes. Some of you appreciate that. Others, meh....not so much. But we know there are people who simply like to nit pick and show us how smart they want us to think they are, and that's okay too. It's a free internet. Just be wise and make your own decisions based on your own experience, because it's your own money. Nobody here will foot the bill if you make a bad one. I know a lot of people who were "right" but lost a lot of money in the process. Just sayin'

Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

First, I love Davy Crockett, Fess Parker & the Alamo ! Second, I for one appreciate all the time & energy you spent researching this situation ! "Most Good Deeds, Go UNREWARDED"! And I ride the Last Great Bike, 99 FXSTC ! The New M8, is an Evo with 8 valves ! 'What's Old is New again"! Beware, Be Smart, Be Safe, BJ

Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by boston jim
First, I love Davy Crockett, Fess Parker & the Alamo ! Second, I for one appreciate all the time & energy you spent researching this situation ! "Most Good Deeds, Go UNREWARDED"! And I ride the Last Great Bike, 99 FXSTC ! The New M8, is an Evo with 8 valves ! 'What's Old is New again"! Beware, Be Smart, Be Safe, BJ
Thank you, sir! If I gave you a little insight on the new bikes, then it was worth it. All the best.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Ranger Rick
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Great post! Thanks for the feedback I appreciated the info!
Ranger Rick

The following users liked this post:
Alamomann (10-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain