General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I did find it a bid odd that the Indian doesn't have linked ABS brakes. The Victory line up has them and they're made by the same company.... The sales guy didn't have an answer as to why..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,421 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I absolutely hate the big screen on Indians for their dash and really wish motorcycle companies (HELLO HD) would take note of Audi's fantastic solution in their cars where the dash is all screen that changes on need. That would allow for a very clean cockpit which the Indians do not have

Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
I absolutely hate the big screen on Indians for their dash and really wish motorcycle companies (HELLO HD) would take note of Audi's fantastic solution in their cars where the dash is all screen that changes on need. That would allow for a very clean cockpit which the Indians do not have
That's interesting criticism. I kind of liked the big screen, but I'm an old fart (51). I've never been a fan of fairings in general (hence my Road King Classic), but they're growing on me. I like the features, and that indian movable windshield is a nice feature. I did see on a video review that it's hard to refuel becuase it's so far forward over the tank.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:25 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,116 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Alamomann
Great questions.
The vibration is all but non existent. This M8 engine runs very smooth and efficient. Some people like that. I don't.

Hmmm. So maybe my GoPro will have more stable images. Well, that does it. Going to have to trade up now!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Hmmm. So maybe my GoPro will have more stable images. Well, that does it. Going to have to trade up now!
Ha! Yeah, you'll get some good video with that engine. It's silky smooth.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Must be some sort of dealer waiver, or you simply have a stage 1 with a catalytic converter. It's not a fantasy at all. It's real and it's being implemented in many places.

Found this on the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles
Good review however.....

(1) Aftermarket mufflers are not emission components and are not subject to EPA the settlement agreement.

(2) The EPA cannot summarily make rules for one manufacturer and not another, so whatever rules apply to Harley would also apply to the Indian you tested.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by dribble
Good review however.....

(1) Aftermarket mufflers are not emission components and are not subject to EPA the settlement agreement.

(2) The EPA cannot summarily make rules for one manufacturer and not another, so whatever rules apply to Harley would also apply to the Indian you tested.
I hear you, but tell that to the Harley dealer when you attempt to put aftermarket pipes on a new HD. They'll void your warranty. That's what they're communicating in my neck of the woods, and I've seen it many places on the web as well.

Regarding the EPA, it's a specific settlement with HD - not Indian. I don't disagree with the logic, but....

Old 10-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,317 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
The bike has more than stage I. It came with a dyno sheet that tells the tale of the mods. It also has a EPA compliant tuner installed.
My guess is you have all the Harley Branded EPA approved upgrades installed..In fact if you were to install any aftermarket NON EPA Approved parts or Use an after market tuner to flash your ECM your warranty would be voided..period

Old 10-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scudda
My guess is you have all the Harley Branded EPA approved upgrades installed..In fact if you were to install any aftermarket NON EPA Approved parts or Use an after market tuner to flash your ECM your warranty would be voided..period
This is exactly what they're communicating.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I hear you, but tell that to the Harley dealer when you attempt to put aftermarket pipes on a new HD. They'll void your warranty. That's what they're communicating in my neck of the woods, and I've seen it many places on the web as well.

Regarding the EPA, it's a specific settlement with HD - not Indian. I don't disagree with the logic, but....
OK I know you don't want to take this thread in this direction but the dealer cannot void a warranty as they do not issue the warranty. Here is the actual language from the settlement between the EPA and Harley.

14. Denial of Warranty.
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of
powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year
2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any
Case 1:16-cv-01687 Document 2-1 Filed 08/18/16 Page 9 of 38
information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product
that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise
approved by EPA.

b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty
claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such
information.

c. No later than December 31, 2016, Defendants shall ensure that their
warranty policies and product literature state that Defendants will deny
warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any
Harley-Davidson vehicle, Model Year 2017 or later, that was tuned using
a Tuning Product
that was not covered by a California ARB Executive
Order, or otherwise approved by EPA.

This language has to do with tuners only. Nothing else. The EPA and the DOJ cannot issue an order that is contrary to law. A federal Administrative Law Judge has to adopt this order and he or she wouldn't adopt it, if it was written like the dealership says.

Aftermarket mufflers are legal. Such an order would violate the Sherman Anti Trust Act. You can't believe everything some Bozo in some dealership says and you certainly can't believe everything you see on the web.

Last edited by dribble; 10-05-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain