General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

my understanding is as long as its HD Screaming Eagle stuff your safe. The Screaming Eagle stuff they are putting on is supposed to be EPA compliant.......that's how it was explained to me. also seen on you tube a video from Laidlaws HD in SoCal advertising this and explaining it as well. I'm sure that's what Alamomann heard as well. Dyna rider, you getting this done through your dealership and it will be covered in the HD warranty, right?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

anyways, not to let this get way off course, nice review....keeping my R/K HO 103 I'm extremely pleased with it!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 542 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
The bike has more than stage I. It came with a dyno sheet that tells the tale of the mods. It also has a EPA compliant tuner installed.
And its more than likely all Screamin Eagle parts which are all now EPA compliant for the 17s if it was installed by the dealer because as of now there arent any aftermarket cams available yet from the aftermarket as far as I know.Aftermarket mufflers are just now barely becoming available

Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 349 Likes on 149 Posts

Don't and I repeat DON'T fall for any BS that the EPA can regulate anything after point of sale. They can not! They can't go into your garage and check emissions on your bike then, when it fails, tow it away in the middle of the night. THEY CAN ONLY REGULATE MANUFACTURE AND THAT'S IT!! Now don't annoy me with this bullshit again! 99% of the U.S. does not require emissions inspections on motorcycles. If they ever did there are plenty of private inspection stations that will clear you for a $100 bill. Ask me how I know. Dealerships do not and are not required to impose EPA regulations. If they want to warranty a bike after you put a blown nitrous hemi motor in it, they can. There is no one in the "field" to enforce EPA regulations on anything smaller than nuclear reactors. After 35 years as a Federal Agent, I know from where I speak. No one is arresting you for doing what you want with your bike or car and no one is taking them away. Warranties are written documents, have your dealer go over the specific portion of the warranty which cites exceptions to coverage and be comfortable with what he tells you vs what is in the warranty. The sky is not falling. The climate is not changing. The sun is not burning out. Now calm the **** down and use some common sense. It will serve you well outside the biker community.

The following users liked this post:
captbob (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 542 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
Don't and I repeat DON'T fall for any BS that the EPA can regulate anything after point of sale. They can not! They can't go into your garage and check emissions on your bike then, when it fails, tow it away in the middle of the night. THEY CAN ONLY REGULATE MANUFACTURE AND THAT'S IT!! Now don't annoy me with this bullshit again! 99% of the U.S. does not require emissions inspections on motorcycles. If they ever did there are plenty of private inspection stations that will clear you for a $100 bill. Ask me how I know. Dealerships do not and are not required to impose EPA regulations. If they want to warranty a bike after you put a blown nitrous hemi motor in it, they can. There is no one in the "field" to enforce EPA regulations on anything smaller than nuclear reactors. After 35 years as a Federal Agent, I know from where I speak. No one is arresting you for doing what you want with your bike or car and no one is taking them away. Warranties are written documents, have your dealer go over the specific portion of the warranty which cites exceptions to coverage and be comfortable with what he tells you vs what is in the warranty. The sky is not falling. The climate is not changing. The sun is not burning out. Now calm the **** down and use some common sense. It will serve you well outside the biker community.
Feel better?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Back on topic:
How was the vibration on the various bikes? Personally I like my '03s vibration. It's a Harley!

How was the clutch? Some new M8 owners say it has a small friction zone?

I enjoy my loud pipes. I wouldn't object to quieter ones, but I don't want to sound like a stock metric either. How much would it cost to get "the Harley sound"?

I seem to have plenty of power with my '88/stage one. But I enjoy downshifting, as part of passing. Why do people object to downshifting? Seems like a lot better alternative than spending thousands of dollars.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter1128
my understanding is as long as its HD Screaming Eagle stuff your safe. The Screaming Eagle stuff they are putting on is supposed to be EPA compliant.......that's how it was explained to me. also seen on you tube a video from Laidlaws HD in SoCal advertising this and explaining it as well. I'm sure that's what Alamomann heard as well. Dyna rider, you getting this done through your dealership and it will be covered in the HD warranty, right?
That's what the guy I talked to at the dealership said. If it's SE or Harley, no problem. Anything aftermarket and the warranty is voided. The bad news is even the stage 1 SE sounded weak.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
Take a deep breath. Let it out.....

Nobody is saying the EPA can regulate anyone's garage.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ron750
Back on topic:
How was the vibration on the various bikes? Personally I like my '03s vibration. It's a Harley!

How was the clutch? Some new M8 owners say it has a small friction zone?

I enjoy my loud pipes. I wouldn't object to quieter ones, but I don't want to sound like a stock metric either. How much would it cost to get "the Harley sound"?

I seem to have plenty of power with my '88/stage one. But I enjoy downshifting, as part of passing. Why do people object to downshifting? Seems like a lot better alternative than spending thousands of dollars.
Great questions. I forgot the cover the clutch.

The hydraulic clutch definitely takes some getting used to. I had it down after a couple rides. The friction zone comes way later as you release it, which (I think) what people are referring to as a small zone. It's definitely way different.

The vibration is all but non existent. This M8 engine runs very smooth and efficient. Some people like that. I don't.

The pipes are weak at best. Even the stage 1. The sound isn't there, and it's a big disappointment to me. Great engine. Pulls like a freight train, but my 103 stage 1 is substantially louder. How much would it cost? I think time will tell. Hopefully someone will come up with a good set up.

I don't have cam upgrades on my 103, which I need... It's not that I object to downshifting, but I'd just rather have the power when I need it. I think cams will solve that problem on my bike.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 AM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My opinion is the stock sound is way better than previous years. Much deeper. For once I'm okay with not changing the mufflers out right away. That used to be the first thing I'd change.

Quick Reply: Test Ride: 2017 Road Glide, Street Glide & Indian Chieftain