General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F&I (Finance and Insurance) Is Not Your Friend

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
From an article that is referring to ONLY SUBPRIME LOANS...

... Harley spokesman Bob Klein says the subprime portion of the HDFS loan portfolio has remained between 25% and 30% since 2004. "Overall, the portfolio is very high quality," he says...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...rime-consumers

40%...Perhaps we'd best find out from someone inside the Harley Finance group

The first sign of danger came early last year, when RBC's Aaron warned investors that loan delinquency rates were rising faster than normal, to more than 4%.
OKMICK, You are quoting a story put out in 2008 at the beginning of the sub-prime and deep sub-prime meltdown. I suspect that several years into that crappy portfolio of loans that the real numbers were a heck of a lot worse than what Harley was touting to their investors. Like yourself, I like to run on data and some of the 40% plus was based on some dealer hearsay. I will see if I can come up with some more solid numbers than either you or I have put forth that is relevant for the current and more recent past situations.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

I believe that would be the right thing to do, Capt Bob.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
The only Harley's at "reasonable prices" are ten years old.

Everyone has their own priorities, and everyone is responsible for managing their own finances. For me, I think the idea of buying a motorcycle on credit is madness. I think the idea of buying a new motorcycle from a dealer is madness. You can get an amazing amount of motorcycle for pennies on the dollar if you know how to look around and aren't afraid of turning a wrench or two.

Just MHO and all that.
That holds true if you have the will and desire to know your bike, and can physically do it. But many or today's "riders" do not. Just like the breed that don't know how to do an oil change. They are lazy and to a point feel they don't HAVE to get their hands dirty.
Which of course makes the moco as popular as it is. I don't think a bike needs to be ten years old either. When the status principle wears off you can find a non used bike that collects dust can be had at a discount. But that's splitting hairs.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

You can start with the 2015 financial statement

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...HOG/financials

Old 10-04-2016, 03:57 PM
captbob
Tourer

OKMICK, I am not a financier. The 40% number was gleaned from a class action suit http://securities.stanford.edu/filin...r01c_05547.pdf
that touted how the MOCO had created a credit crunch and serious devaluation of the stock. I had thought about buying a bunch of Harley stock recently when it was in the mid to upper 30's but thought better of it with all of the crazy shenanigans that are alleged to have happened with the MOCO. I am not interested in getting into a pissing contest on financial statements, etc. because I have no expertise and frankly find that very boring as I am not an accounting or lawyer type. However, I do know that the standard practices of marching each and every customer through the F&I gauntlet is something that I hoped people would understand in terms of how it might impact their financial well being and how this MSRP line of BS will self-extinguish if people can get a sense of some of the pitfalls. No more or no less. If you want to fight on a wits basis, let's do it on something that I happen to be an expert on and even then, I just retired last week for what is likely my final work gig and really don't give a ****!

Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
Crap, I derailed my own thread
I really wanted to focus on the issue of buying a new Harley at a reasonable price and not getting gouged in the process. I would prefer that we discuss that issue rather than macro economics which I generally know very little about and really don't care. Sorry I brought that up
Now, back to the real story of purchasing a new Harley and running the gauntlet between salespeople and getting out the front door with a price that is fair to all concerned and being able to ward off the F&I baloney that comes with every sale.
OK the issue. Most people here have been around the block more than a few times. They can shop for the best financing if they choose to, make the best deal they can on the motorcycle they want and and if they aren't presented with a deal that they can live with they can take what usually amounts to a short ride to another dealership and deal with them.

The difference between a 5% interest rate and a 7% interest rate on a $20,000.00 loan with 60 month term is $19.00 a month. Certainly not an amount that will bankrupt most people here. I would venture to guess that most will shop for the best rate before going in. Those that don't probably don't care that much.

The last time I bought a new car I told the F&I guy that if he could do 2.75% I'll let him, (me controlling the transaction) otherwise I'll get the financing myself. He grumbled and did 2.75%.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

I have no interest in any pissing contest. You posted that '40% of Harley loans are in default' (paraphrasing) and I simply want to know where ya come up with that number. I will look at the link you posted and by god if I am wrong you will be the first person I make aware of that.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:11 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

So far Bob, I see a suit on behalf of a pension fund that apparently has funds invested in Harley and its operations. Indeed, there is a 40% reference early on, pg. 3.

...annualized credit losses on a managed portfolio basis grew during the first quarter of 2005 by almost 40%...Yep, apparently from .77 to 1.07. I won't mention your reference to 'prior to the bubble of 2008' since that would be unfair.

pg.5 ... Annualized credit loses (spelling error in report) on a managed portfolio basis increased to 1.07% from .77%

Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
Thingfish, You are partially correct in me wanting to reiterate the point about bad sources for MSRP issues but then wanted to add to it with additional traps that are built into the dealer networks to extract more money from unsuspecting/unsophisticated customers. I fully agree with Rockabillygrl that it is nobody's business if someone can afford whatever financial products they want to buy with the operative word being "afford". However, it is the poor suckers, bad bankers, bad politicians, etc. that are causing us to run up about $20 trillion in debt give or take a few bucks that may put us into another recession or worse, a full-on depression. Not sure how long I am going to be able to stay retired and ride around on my Harleys if we get hyper-inflation from some of our bad financial decisions on a local and/or larger scale?

National debt isn't privately held debt man, it's the money uncle sugar has borrowed against future GDP to fund things they want but can't afford. Has nothing to do with Harley financing.

Never in my life have I seen so many people so interested in how others spend their money than on a Harley site. Good grief, mind your own business and let others mind theirs just flat out disappeared with the invention of the internet.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:46 PM
captbob
Tourer

slodsm, This is a tough crowd on this forum at times. I mentioned that I bought a 2005 Road King that had been sitting for most of the past 6 years with 500 miles on newly changed tires and most of the posts were attacking my question about whether or not I should keep or discard the tires see thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...009-tires.html
Most people assumed that I was a dumbass and that anybody with sense should know that you needed to discard the tires and move on to another subject. Well, one hospitable person from New Zealand suggested that I contact Dunlop directly to find out what the real answer was. When I did this, it turned out that most of the posts recommending discarding the tires based on their opinions were flat out wrong when an expert representative from the company advised that there was no reliable data about motorcycle tire longevity that would suggest a particular course of action based solely on time of manufacture. There is not necessarily a parallel in this thread but to deny that we are all sort of intertwined financially in the decisions that the MOCO, dealers and consumers make would be equally naïve. My intention was to help those folks that have the ears or sense to hear the argument about a practice (quasi usurious rates from a subset of greedy F&I folks) that has hurt many people and actually wrecked some families due to financial crunches. If this pisses people off, then oh well? I don't know what the Internet is for but to communicate ideas and thoughts that hopefully advance our life situations. I really don't feel like fighting for these causes because I have fought for a lot of causes most of my life and frankly am getting more ambivalent about fighting.

Being 67 and having grown up with the Internet and pre-Internet (Plato at the U of I) and other computer work, I realize that it is a challenge to sort out the chaff from the wheat when it comes to posts. I also realize that I have learned a hell of a lot from various threads over the years in a variety of different forums and so do not uniformly throw out all of the conclusions and suggestions that people come up with.

Quick Reply: F&I (Finance and Insurance) Is Not Your Friend