General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F&I (Finance and Insurance) Is Not Your Friend

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:57 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
extract more money from unsuspecting/unsophisticated customers.
Yeah, but we can't fix stupid.

that are causing us to run up about $20 trillion in debt give or take a few bucks that may put us into another recession or worse, a full-on depression.
Sure, the sky is falling,, but it's a whole lot bigger then just a few bikes being bought an sold.

The following 2 users liked this post by JohnMn:
0maha (10-04-2016), captbob (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 01:52 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I am going to be able to stay retired and ride around on my Harleys if we get hyper-inflation from some of our bad financial decisions on a local and/or larger scale?
I first heard about the upcoming hyper-inflation about 25 years ago.... About the same time as I heard about the upcoming doomsday asteroid, the apocalypse, and the next ice age.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:26 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
I first heard about the upcoming hyper-inflation about 25 years ago.... About the same time as I heard about the upcoming doomsday asteroid, the apocalypse, and the next ice age.

Crap, I derailed my own thread
I really wanted to focus on the issue of buying a new Harley at a reasonable price and not getting gouged in the process. I would prefer that we discuss that issue rather than macro economics which I generally know very little about and really don't care. Sorry I brought that up
Now, back to the real story of purchasing a new Harley and running the gauntlet between salespeople and getting out the front door with a price that is fair to all concerned and being able to ward off the F&I baloney that comes with every sale.

Last edited by captbob; 10-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:46 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Crap, I derailed my own thread
I really wanted to focus on the issue of buying a new Harley at a reasonable price and not getting gouged in the process. I would prefer that we discuss that issue rather than macro economics which I generally know very little about and really don't care. Sorry I brought that up
Now, back to the real story of purchasing a new Harley and running the gauntlet between salespeople and getting out the front door with a price that is fair to all concerned and being able to ward off the F&I baloney that comes with every sale.
The only Harley's at "reasonable prices" are ten years old.

Everyone has their own priorities, and everyone is responsible for managing their own finances. For me, I think the idea of buying a motorcycle on credit is madness. I think the idea of buying a new motorcycle from a dealer is madness. You can get an amazing amount of motorcycle for pennies on the dollar if you know how to look around and aren't afraid of turning a wrench or two.

Just MHO and all that.

If someone goes in to a dealership, pushes their credit to the breaking point, and rides out on a brand new $30k bike, that's their business. That's their choice. If someone is not financially savvy enough to know that the dealership is putting them into a hole they will never get out of, that's the price they pay for being stupid. Their problem, not mine.

The only thing in all of this I (emphatically) disagree with is the idea that something is being "done to" those people. Bullchit. They just gotta have that bike, and woe betide anyone who tells them they can't afford it. They know full well that financing a $30k bike for seven years at 15% interest is stupid, but they don't care. They are making the decision. Not the dealer. Not the banker. Not the politician. The consequences of that decision are entirely on them.

As for the MoCo manipulating their distribution channel to get maximum revenue out of their new models, that's Business 101 stuff. When you have the new model, you know there are a certain number of people who just gotta have it. You get the most out of them that you can. After you've soaked all those customers, you drop the price (or ease up on your channel) a smidge and soak the next wave, and so on. Nothing wrong with that. If you're the kind of enthusiast who simply must have the newest model right away, that's gonna cost you. Nothing wrong with extracting maximum revenue from you on that.

The following users liked this post:
kingxirol (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,062 Likes on 6,683 Posts

Simple. Don't finance with them. If you have to, you should ask yourself if your desire is overpowering your credit score.
Personally, I see any initial success of this new engine as a double-edged sword. Trade-in value of the previous generation of engine could drop to a level not seen since AMF. There are so many used H-D's sitting in dealerships already, it's ridiculous.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:06 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil Wide Glide
The dealership profit on your bike loan is the spread between what the bank charged for the money and the interest rate in your loan agreement. So if the bsnk charges 1.5 percent for the money and you are paying 8 percent, the dealership makes 6.5 percent. The dealership gets their share every time you make a payment. It may not sound like much, but it can add up if they are involved in the financing of many bikes.

I dont believe in fiancing luxury items, but if you do, have other options mapped out before you go into "The Box" aka the F&I office.
Another post by someone who is obviously clueless. You obviously don't know lenders 'cap' the interest rate dealers charge. Believe the water cooler bullshit and be about your business.

Edit: Before anyone takes issue I was a dealer for 30 years. Ask me any question you'd like about dealer operations and I will give the straight answer, not the one the public thinks is correct.

Last edited by OKMICK; 10-04-2016 at 03:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OKMICK:
Northbound Southerner (10-06-2016), SBRob (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 03:28 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Simple. Don't finance with them. If you have to, you should ask yourself if your desire is overpowering your credit score.
Personally, I see any initial success of this new engine as a double-edged sword. Trade-in value of the previous generation of engine could drop to a level not seen since AMF. There are so many used H-D's sitting in dealerships already, it's ridiculous.
I don't think the sky is falling like somebody pointed out about my own post but the 2008 through about 2012 time period found something like over 40% of financed Harleys in default. That in part lead to the current reduced prices we are seeing on what used to be "traditional" Harley depreciation schedules. I just bought a derelict 2005 RK for a song but was willing to go out and buy $500 worth of parts and do a lot of wrenching to get it roadworthy. If what you are saying has some merit which I think it does, then we may get back to a higher default rate with some of the sub-prime loans that have been floating around in this relatively anemic recovery. If that happens, then the depreciation schedules that lenders and consumers rely on may get turned on its head.

So, back to the reason that I started this thread. I know that there is no cure for stupid. However, if people read this thread and realize the threats to their financial well being that are being posed by F&I folks who's prime motive is to maximize profits, then my task and all of the bantering will not have been in vain. What really triggered this thread was the perceptions I was seeing that just because some dumb-assed finance guy/gal says that the world is such and such, then we have to accept that and take it in the shorts. I think that our brothers and sisters who love Harleys and are just naïve enough to put themselves into situations that are not good for them and not really good for their fellow Harley riders, should consider what the fallout will be if a bunch of new 2017 iron that is financed for stupid terms goes sour.

Last edited by captbob; 10-04-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:33 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

...but the 2008 through about 2012 time period found something like over 40% of financed Harleys in default...
Always been a fan of dealing in facts. You have a link to any lending institution to back up your claim?

Old 10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Simple. Don't finance with them
my previous bike i financed through harley (eaglemark) 0.99% interest.
best interest rate i could find at the time

Old 10-04-2016, 03:36 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

From an article that is referring to ONLY SUBPRIME LOANS...

... Harley spokesman Bob Klein says the subprime portion of the HDFS loan portfolio has remained between 25% and 30% since 2004. "Overall, the portfolio is very high quality," he says...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...rime-consumers

40%...Perhaps we'd best find out from someone inside the Harley Finance group

The first sign of danger came early last year, when RBC's Aaron warned investors that loan delinquency rates were rising faster than normal, to more than 4%.

Last edited by OKMICK; 10-04-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: F&I (Finance and Insurance) Is Not Your Friend