General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:23 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts
Default M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?

Just wondering... For those of you that have purchased one of the new M8 bikes, especially that bought outright without a trade, are they all demanding MSRP, or are they willing to deal any?

Thx.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:29 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
Just wondering... For those of you that have purchased one of the new M8 bikes, especially that bought outright without a trade, are they all demanding MSRP, or are they willing to deal any?

Thx.
Guess that depends on the dealer. I bought a 2017 Ultra Limited about two weeks ago. Not one penny off of MSRP. I did get them to drop the setup and freight fees and got a 15% discount on the upgrades I wanted. Third bike in two years, same dealer, same salesman. Got discounted MSRP on the other two bikes but not this one. Bike is freaking awesome.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

It does depend on the dealer, they are all independent businesses and free to price their products however they want. It's not surprising that some are asking MSRP or more for the M8's, assuming they are moving the bikes at their prices. Demand for the new bikes will likely allow them to charge top dollar.

Might have better price luck buying leftover 2016's, the local dealer here seems to have plenty of those still in stock, and plenty of Year End Clearance Event signs up.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,776 Likes on 6,696 Posts

There is no reason for them to discount them at all. Inventory is rolling in slowly and people are lining up to buy them. Why sell something for twenty bucks when the next guy in line is willing to pay thirty?

The M8 is the biggest change in around 17 years. It is not just the usual new paint colors, more chrome, less chrome, more black, less black like most model years.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Might have better price luck buying leftover 2016's, the local dealer here seems to have plenty of those still in stock, and plenty of Year End Clearance Event signs up.
When I was negotiating the price on my 2017 Limited I was pushing hard. The salesman said I can get you a smoking deal on a 2016. We did not talk price on the 2016 but I am sure I could have gotten between $5K and $8K off MSRP on the 2016. But I wanted the 2017. No regrets here.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,763 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn

Thx.
From what I read here, no. In fact many dealers will happily charge you MORE than MSRP.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
From what I read here, no. In fact many dealers will happily charge you MORE than MSRP.
Yep. Agree. I feel like I got a fair deal. No regrets at all. Did I already say the bike is freaking awesome? New suspension, off the chain, new motor pulls like a train bone stock.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 1,669 Posts

According to SCOTUS, the manf. can set prices of the dealers, and if the dealer don't like it he can quit being a dealer. Haven't seen it in the motor world yet, but there's a growing number of electronic names that are doing it. It's supposed to help the small dealers from getting lowballed by the big boys. Anyone's guess if Harley is starting that or not...

Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I was at a dealer this past Saturday. The deal is 107's are $3k over MSRP and 114's are $5k over MSRP. Take it or leave it.

He did add that if the bike breaks in half you get to keep both halves.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:58 PM
faster_dammit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to work pretty hard to get them down to MSRP. They started well above it. After that it was a battle working on the crazy fees they wanted.

We eventually got to a happy place, but it took a week. I'm guessing that they're working to sell 2017's at MSRP across the board for now.

Like others have said, there were plenty of 16's sitting there that i could have got a better deal on, but I'm happy with what i got.

Quick Reply: M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?