General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:33 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought mine at MSRP. No way I would pay over. There's too many other dealers out there, for that bs. I did spend a few hours at another local dealer this last weekend getting my 1k done and I specifically asked the dealer about policies. He told me that the MOCO has actually losened up restrictions on new bikes, not tightened like some dealers are spouting. He said he can sell under MSRP all day long and does as they are a small dealer and have to just to get sales. HD just won't let them advertise below MSRP. He said in years past they loaded them up on new models that they had to take, but this year they got to order as few as they wanted and they can cancel or ship bikes to another dealer without getting penalized. He was pretty happy with the new changes. Sounds like some of the stealers are greedy and full of ****.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I went to the dealer today for a warranty issue and decided to check out the 2017's while I was there. The only bike not marked up over MSRP was a RG Standard. I looked at a SGS that was about $3600.00 over and a CVO SG that was about $7000.00 over. The sales manager asked if I was ready to trade my 16 in, and I just laughed. 44k (base price) for a CVO SG is a lot of coin. I don't know what the actual numbers would be if you were dealing, but I am guessing not MSRP.

I looked at the charcoal and black CVO, and I actually liked it. I don't like the paint scheme much, but in those colors it looked good. I also liked that it comes with a black headlight being that it's a blacked out bike. I did not like the wood grain looking dash and fairing insert as much as the carbon fiber looking ones on my 16, but you could change those out I guess fairly easy.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:46 PM
slimatsea
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Go in on the last day of the month and tell them what you're willing to pay. OTD price of my 2017 Road King was thousands below MSRP. I almost lost the deal because I was refusing to finance through Eagle Mark. At the end of the day they couldn't resist when I waived my Cashier's check in front of their face. I bought a 2016 LRS the same way.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn

If my dealer pulled that crap, that would be the last time I ever set foot in their building.
I know what you mean. I would never, ever agree to pay over MSRP. The secret to buying a car or a motorcycle is not getting "the hots" and being able to walk off the sales floor and mean it. It never fails me. I have even heard that at some dealers that a salesman is in trouble if he allows a serious buying customer to walk off the lot without buying. Ultimately, the customer has the leverage. Many times I have closed a deal on my terms by simply sighing to the salesman and saying, "Oh, well, we tried. Think I'm done for the day." Next thing you know my last offer accepted.

If you can write the check (or qualify easily for financing) you are always in the driver's seat, no matter how hot the bike market. I have no doubt that if I wanted to I could buy any bike I want at or below MSRP right now.

One problem with buying right now is that the used market is saturated. The problem with Harleys is that the damned things are built to last, so there are always great deals on used Harleys. This hurts your leverage on trade-ins.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:03 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I know what you mean. I would never, ever agree to pay over MSRP. The secret to buying a car or a motorcycle is not getting "the hots" and being able to walk off the sales floor and mean it. It never fails me. I have even heard that at some dealers that a salesman is in trouble if he allows a serious buying customer to walk off the lot without buying. Ultimately, the customer has the leverage. Many times I have closed a deal on my terms by simply sighing to the salesman and saying, "Oh, well, we tried. Think I'm done for the day." Next thing you know my last offer accepted.

If you can write the check (or qualify easily for financing) you are always in the driver's seat, no matter how hot the bike market. I have no doubt that if I wanted to I could buy any bike I want at or below MSRP right now.

One problem with buying right now is that the used market is saturated. The problem with Harleys is that the damned things are built to last, so there are always great deals on used Harleys. This hurts your leverage on trade-ins.
Great post. "Many times I have closed a deal on my terms by simply sighing to the salesman and saying, "Oh, well, we tried. Think I'm done for the day." Next thing you know my last offer accepted". This is exactly how I got my 2017 Limited at MSRP (no added shipping, freight or other crap). Got a "fair" trade-in and 15% discount on the upgrades. I am very happy paying MSRP on the 2017, to me me the bike is worth it. Took me over three weeks to understand what I was willing to pay and be happy before I ever walked into the dealer. Took me about 1 hour to get the deal done. Although I am sure others want it below MSRP, individual choice.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
It does depend on the dealer, they are all independent businesses and free to price their products however they want. p.
Harley has said they don't want them selling below, it hurts the brand. What action they have taken, I dunno. Funny, did they complain when dealers were gouging?

Selling under msrp, is something that started the last 10 years, when they started having left overs. M2003, when they ramped up production, people bought to be part of it, then economy crapped.
Originally Posted by Prot

The M8 is the biggest change in around 17 years. It is not just the usual new paint colors, more chrome, less chrome, more black, less black like most model years.
Got to laugh cause this sums it up. Funny how people were goign crazy oversome new chrome nut or paint.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:48 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Harley has said they don't want them selling below, it hurts the brand. What action they have taken, I dunno. Funny, did they complain when dealers were gouging?

Way it was explained to me by several inside people was the moco is tracking dealers sales figures now and if they shave MSRP that dealers next shipment could be reduced numbers wise, that's the leverage that being applied. They will simply supply the bikes to the places that are willing to play their game and choke out those who don't till they come around.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Purplesky
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test rode a 2017 SGS yesterday and its definitely an upgrade from my 2012 RK.

I casually discussed a trade- in deal and the salesman told me they would do msrp and drop all add on fees.

He said retail to retail on the trade-in value. So about $13.5 to$14k for my RK with 4930 miles in excellent condition.

This is a large volume dealer and the 17s they have are not flying off the floor.

With a good trade-in bike you definitely have some leverage.

The salesman pretty much begged me to take a test ride.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Bama35
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wait till next year when they get the 18's in then work the 17 down. If there's any left

Old 10-10-2016, 07:50 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I think it's important to take your time and not rush into a deal, unless it's a such a great deal you can't refuse.

Quick Reply: M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?