General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

if one was looking for a new touring machine, 2016 TC's will likely be a good bargain, one could purchase a lot of up grades with the dough saved.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:39 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealer made me an offer for the difference between my 2013 trike for trade on a 2017 trike, and I countered with a $1800 lower difference.

They accepted the offer; so did I get the new 2017 for $1800 off MSRP or did they give me $1800 more for my trade? Either way I was happy!!!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:21 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wingfoot
The dealer made me an offer for the difference between my 2013 trike for trade on a 2017 trike, and I countered with a $1800 lower difference.

They accepted the offer; so did I get the new 2017 for $1800 off MSRP or did they give me $1800 more for my trade? Either way I was happy!!!
Excellent question. I asked my dealer the same question with my trade because it was pretty good. He said when they put the numbers in the system they will put the price of the bike in at MSRP. Not one penny less. The reason is Kelly Blue Book (and others) use that data to set re-sale values. Interestingly there was dealer across town that would always sell less than MSRP by at least a few $$'K (tagged up front that way). He said everyone knew this because they would show up with that price in hand and say match it. He said that was fine, a dealer can choose to make money or lose money it is up to them. But their service was about 1.5X higher than everyone else and they marked up their upgrades by about 1.2X. Well that was a few years ago and that dealer sold out to another dealer out of state. Dealer is still there but now they mark up MSRP by $2.5K with a bunch of "fees" that are all BS. By the way many folks bought their bikes at the old dealer and went to others for all service and upgrades. Kind of a stupid business plan, obviously did not work. He said I don't care if you tell people you got your bike less than MSRP or not, if it makes you feel good, go ahead. But is it being sold to you at MSRP. This is my third bike, same dealer same salesman. Do all upgrades and service through them. Got a 15% discount on the upgrades. I was treated fair and this dealer has been around for many many years. And I love my M8. Congrats, have fun!

Last note: The only way mother Harley can control prices is to control production volumes. Heard rumors about this also, but pure speculation will not pollute the forum with that.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
Just wondering... For those of you that have purchased one of the new M8 bikes, especially that bought outright without a trade, are they all demanding MSRP, or are they willing to deal any?

Thx.
Was the rule at the dealers I hit when I went shopping labor day weekend and the 3 others I emailed, only thing varied was their bullshit " setup " fee that bounced between $500 to $1100. Sales managers all said MSRP was going the minimum price on the M8's for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 PM
31scout
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I was at a local dealership and this particular dealer is not know for discounting bikes and he had some 2016 Ultra's at $2500-2800 off MSRP and no set up or freight. I didn't see any prices on 2017's as I wasn't real interested.
And yes, Harley is cutting production as they haven't been selling enough bikes. They have been laying off also. I don't see this as cutting production in order to make the 2017's more scarce and thus increase prices.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:08 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Last note: The only way mother Harley can control prices is to control production volumes. Heard rumors about this also, but pure speculation will not pollute the forum with that.

riknbeth, "mother Harley" as you describe a manufacturing entity has been plagued with all kinds of tomfoolery when it comes to production numbers. According to some Wall Street analysts that have closely observed Harley's production schedules and shipments, the "Mothership" has attempted to "ear job" their dealers with extra new bikes the last couple of years to look like they were selling more units. This in spite of the fact that with a lagging economic recovery, the market has had a difficult time absorbing the overproduction and so the selling prices of bikes have been affected negatively.

Harley and even the dealers cannot ultimately "control" the prices of their equipment. The health of the US and world economies, cost of production along with their competition is what ultimately affects the selling prices of their products. As some others have pointed out, the cutbacks are more likely due to less demand for the product, increased competition and a less than robust world economy.

As some astute fellow posters have pointed out, if one gets the "fever" to purchase anything, without doing some due diligence and comparative shopping, then they are going to get a pretty good screwing at the time of purchase, possible finance and subsequent resale of those goods. It is up to each of us to determine what kind of consumers we are willing to be and how smart we want to be with our hard-earned dollars. MSRP is simply the manufacturer's suggested retail price for their goods. I for one am not that interested in what "mother Harley" suggests I pay for their goods. I let the marketplace and my own finances help me decide what I am willing to pay for their goods, especially because motorcycles are in most cases in the USA, a luxury item.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
riknbeth, "mother Harley" as you describe a manufacturing entity has been plagued with all kinds of tomfoolery when it comes to production numbers. According to some Wall Street analysts that have closely observed Harley's production schedules and shipments, the "Mothership" has attempted to "ear job" their dealers with extra new bikes the last couple of years to look like they were selling more units. This in spite of the fact that with a lagging economic recovery, the market has had a difficult time absorbing the overproduction and so the selling prices of bikes have been affected negatively.

Harley and even the dealers cannot ultimately "control" the prices of their equipment. The health of the US and world economies, cost of production along with their competition is what ultimately affects the selling prices of their products. As some others have pointed out, the cutbacks are more likely due to less demand for the product, increased competition and a less than robust world economy.

As some astute fellow posters have pointed out, if one gets the "fever" to purchase anything, without doing some due diligence and comparative shopping, then they are going to get a pretty good screwing at the time of purchase, possible finance and subsequent resale of those goods. It is up to each of us to determine what kind of consumers we are willing to be and how smart we want to be with our hard-earned dollars. MSRP is simply the manufacturer's suggested retail price for their goods. I for one am not that interested in what "mother Harley" suggests I pay for their goods. I let the marketplace and my own finances help me decide what I am willing to pay for their goods, especially because motorcycles are in most cases in the USA, a luxury item.
Well written. I agree. The more folks that chime in here the better for everyone. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Paid full MSRP on my 2017 Ultra Limited Low, but dealer did give me "High Retail" on my trade. I wanted the bike and was not willing to wait for possible future dealer discounts. I'm happily enjoying my new ride!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

My local dealer has quoted MSRP and Freight, no Dealer setup and 20% off upgrades..

Old 10-04-2016, 07:43 AM
stevewfl
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
No offense to those that do, but there is no way in hell I would pay MSRP (much less more) for a new motorcycle. That premium that people are paying is for nothing more than being able to say you got one when the came out. Someone is going to get one 6 or 7 months from now and owe less on his before he ever makes a payment than the ones who bought theirs first who will have made 6 or 7 payments.
^^^yup, I'm patient for that kinda' coinage

The following users liked this post:
1BRAVO9 (10-04-2016)

Quick Reply: M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?