General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

i think if you don't come in drooling you can beat MSRP at least it did.
now I had a trade so # can be put where ever you like but if you look at trade in value in black book and subtract that from MSRP i did quite well and i am sure the dealer did as well.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I got a CVO Limited and they sold it to me at msrp. I did get them to come up on my trade in from their original offer and they did knock off shipping and prep. was my second CVO I bought from this dealer.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Pretty much what I figured. My dealer said the MOCO is holding firm on MSRP. I understand they are independent franchises and should be able to set their own prices, but just going by what the finance guy told me. I am going to wait until this winter to, if I do buy. Still a little nervous about a first year engine, but hopefully by December or January, if anything catastrophic is wrong with the engines it will surface by then.

As for paying 3-5K over MSRP... eff that. No frickin' way. I have never even paid MSRP for any vehicle, and can't believe I'm considering it now. But damn... All I hear is what smokin' machines these new M8's are. And no. Not interested in a 16. I have a 103 on my FLD, and quite happy with that, but the same engine on a RGU has to be hamper the performance.

And thanks for all the feedback!!

Last edited by bradn; 10-03-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Won't budge here in Ny and Nj, i figure I'll wait till the 2018 come out, this way they have time to work out the bugs and drop the prices.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:19 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 610 Likes on 279 Posts

No offense to those that do, but there is no way in hell I would pay MSRP (much less more) for a new motorcycle. That premium that people are paying is for nothing more than being able to say you got one when the came out. Someone is going to get one 6 or 7 months from now and owe less on his before he ever makes a payment than the ones who bought theirs first who will have made 6 or 7 payments.

The following users liked this post:
captbob (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:01 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

in my area, they are asking $3500 over msrp for the M8's with the excuse of HD is cutting production.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
in my area, they are asking $3500 over msrp for the M8's with the excuse of HD is cutting production.

Too many good late model bikes for sale to take that kind of bath. That idea worked years ago when you couldn't buy an HD new or used anywhere. Today no such luck. Besides there are now quite a few other name brands to select from if the Moco gets too ridiculous in their pricing. I think HD is going to alienate potential customers with this tactic.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:56 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

pricing is not set by moco it dealer to dealer please don't blame factory for dealer pricing above or below MSRP

Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Too many good late model bikes for sale to take that kind of bath. That idea worked years ago when you couldn't buy an HD new or used anywhere. Today no such luck. Besides there are now quite a few other name brands to select from if the Moco gets too ridiculous in their pricing. I think HD is going to alienate potential customers with this tactic.
Agree. Moco cannot raise prices too much or many of us will give them the finger. Paid MSRP (no freight or setup charges) and got a 15% discount on the upgrades for a 2017 Limited. I have done business with my dealer multiple times. They have proven themselves honest, but I am fully aware their job is to get every penny they can for a bike.

Also heard this rumor about HD cutting production. Sounded like a bullshit negotiation tactic to me, but who knows. Anything over MSRP I would find another dealer. Yes, despite what some folks say, there are honest ones out there.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,118 Likes on 12,031 Posts

MOCO could be artificially withholding supply of M8's, which increases demand and dealer markup.
Same thing happens with cars ..most recently the Dodge Challenger Hellcat.
Sadly motorcycles, boats and RV's do not have a Monroney sticker or any consumer idea what invoice or dealer cost is.
Most of us have no problem finding a 20% off MSRP deal on a car. No way on a Harley.

Last edited by upflying; 10-03-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: M8's - Are dealers only selling at MSRP?