General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety and Over-the-ankle shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016 | 01:29 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah the SIDIs were a lot of money. I researched carefully. I had a lot of time to do that as I was off my feet for a while!

I wanted the best I could get. I looked at customer reviews from several places.

The SIDI's have been great. I have the GoreTex version, and though they are water proof, my feet don't feel hot on Central California summer days when the temps frequently top 100°. Even semi comfortable to walk around in.

Even at the price, they were a fraction of my medical bills. And, I can't afford another ankle injury. The long term effects might put an end to riding altogether.

I'm sure the Forma's are great boots. A heluva lot more protection than simple work boots!

Originally Posted by Red.Road.Glide
SIDI Adventure Boots...yikes!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...p-0aAtOT8P8HAQ

I kinda dig these though:

Forma Adventure Boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...WR4aAk138P8HAQ

Old 09-28-2016 | 02:34 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

A hawk hit my left foot a few months ago. I was glad to be wearing over ankle heavy boots with padding. For one thing it exploded all over my boot, I think riding home with poop all over my foot and leg would have been nasty. It might have broken my foot if I was wearing sneakers.

Good boots usually have good soles. You want stability when you put your feet down, especially in rain.

Old 09-28-2016 | 10:24 PM
rocknrick
Road Master

I went from boots to sneakers this summer (you know that they are all the current rage). Anyway, ready to back to boots - sneakers, like these idiots in flip flops, just do not provide required support...

Old 09-28-2016 | 11:06 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior

In all my years of riding, I've always worn boots...except for one time. I was going to the gym and didn't want to deal with carrying a second pair of footwear. Rolled up to a red light, went to put my left foot down and the lace had wrapped around the shifter. Over I went. I was just off balance enough that I couldn't shift the weight over to the right. No real damage to self or bike, just the ego. Had I been wearing my lace up boots the lace loops are up so high and under my pants, it wouldn't happen. That was the first and last time I didn't wear boots and I consider myself lucky for not having a tougher lesson.

Old 09-28-2016 | 11:55 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I wear Alpine Stars Web or Land Gore Tex lined boots. In the past I've worn lineman's boots,cowboy boots, and other types but now I appreciate the comfort and protection of modern motorcycle boots. I don't have to carry rain boots either.

Old 09-29-2016 | 06:01 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

A good pair of tactical boots work fine, but an old standby is a pair of engineer boots.
Find what suits your riding environment.
http://www.bootbarn.com/Motorcycle-B...efault,sc.html
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-boots-for-men

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 09-29-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2016 | 06:25 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Lots of great suggestions and ideas here. Personally I wear a good stout pair of work boots. Steel toe, leather, and over the ankle. have worn motocross/enduro boots, and found them comfortable. but not so much for walking. bottom line is a good stout pair of boots that cover your ankles are a must.

Old 09-29-2016 | 11:19 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to try to understand what happens in an actual motorcycle crash.

Yes, higher boots give you ankle support which could save your ankle from a twist or a brake. But when a rider goes down at speed, the rider's body typically gets dragged and flung across the rough surface of the road for some distance. This often leads to pieces of clothing being pulled down and stripped away by the friction of contact with the road.

Low top shoes will get stripped right off your feet in a serious crash, leaving your feet exposed to being ground away by the road surface. In fact, numerous motorcycle crash studies have reported that even riders wearing tall boots often sustain serious foot injuries if the boots have laces, as the laces separate and then the boot comes off. Tall motorcycle boots with no laces and armor will give you the most protection.

There's a reason you don't see racers at the Moto GP wearing Converse high tops. You watch those guys go down at 175mph and slide 100 feet on concrete, then jump right back up and get on another bike.

That's one thing I always loved about the motorcycle culture in Europe. Guys there take as much pride in their leathers and riding gear as they do in their bikes. Smart. Here, every day I see guys on Harleys with no helmet, wearing only a t-shirt and low-top sneakers. Dumb.

Last edited by DM426; 09-29-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2016 | 07:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Bingo, and keeps your boot on where low shoes and sneakers are pealed off immediately.
No kidding I've seen a few literally get knocked out of their shoes before, solidly laced heavy soled boots of some kind over the ankle minimum.

Old 09-30-2016 | 11:20 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
...The reason you wear over the ankle boots is to help protect (nothing is perfect) your ankles from impact and sliding on pavement. Trust me, you don't want to grind off your ankle bone.

Quick Reply: Safety and Over-the-ankle shoes