General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety and Over-the-ankle shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016 | 11:41 AM
mglax13
Road Master

I also went with 8" tall boots as opposed to 6" boots. Just goes up a little higher and feels a little more secure.

Old 09-28-2016 | 11:47 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Motorcycle specific boots offer better ankle support than hiking/hunting boots.

Old 09-28-2016 | 11:54 AM
StratDad
|
Novice

Makes total sense now.

My wife tells a story of getting hit on her minibike as a kid, and losing her shoe. It was found on the roof of the nearby house the next day. I see now that isn't an uncommon thing.

You had me at the thought of my bike grinding my ankle into the asphalt.

Thanks all.

Old 09-28-2016 | 12:22 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by StratDad
I'm a new rider as of this summer, and I've invested in most of the recommended safety gear. Full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, etc. These products all have an obvious value in protecting me.

Over-the-ankle boots show up on most safety equipment lists, but I don't understand the basic value. When I wear these, what is it I'm protecting? Is there a reason to use riding boots vs. over-the-ankle hiking boots? I'm pretty sure that if my Dyna were to start to tip, it wouldn't be my ankle that gave out first. It isn't an experiment I want to try, though.
As already stated above, there are the most obvious reasons for wearing boots in the event of an accident and/or fall & slide. Here's a little more obscure reason, which recently happened to me and caused me to completely rethink my occasional "I'm not changing into boots for a quick ride" attitude.

Snap decision to go for a solo ride and I was wearing sneakers with a typical, "grippy" sole. I stopped at a light on a moderate decline, both feet on the ground, bike in 2nd gear. Since in 2nd, I was going to allow the bike to pick up a little momentum before actually engaging the gears. Light goes green, I release the front brake [remember, I had both feet on the ground], bike rolls forward and the right passenger floorboard [which my wife refuses to put up despite numerous requests] catches me somewhere between 6-8" above the ankle, bending the upper part of my leg forward while the sole of my sneaker remained firmly planted on the pavement. Essentially, my leg/ankle was now a ratchet holding my 900+ lb. Ultra from moving any further forward. Long story short, nothing broke and I got a lesson in how far my ankle is capable of bending. I'm certain that, had I been wearing my boots, the floorboard would have caught the upper part of my boot and presumably pushed my foot forward rather than bending my ankle. Lesson learned.

Old 09-28-2016 | 12:26 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

This is what I wear, I also ride a sportbike but I wear these on the harley. I've seen too many lower leg injuries that could have been prevented. Plus, They do fit under my jeans which is how I wear them to work

http://www.alpinestars.com/smx6-wtp-boot#.V-v8yvkrJCg

Old 09-28-2016 | 01:04 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

A lot of guys wear 6-8" high work boots. Great if you don't crash.

Last year while riding in the central Sierra foothills after work one evening, I was having a bit of fun on a curvy single lane road. Coming around a curve, and looking ahead at where I wanted to go with no approaching cars, and leaning into the curve, I didn't see the coyote pop into the road right dead in front of me. I made the rookie mistake of a panic grab of the front brake while leaned over. Front wheel washes out and down I go. Right foot gets pinned under the bike and gets twisted around backwards 180°.
That put an end to my entire plans of big rides that summer. I now have three screws in the ankle. I now have a pair of SIDI Adventure boots. They were a lot of money at $550. But my out of pocket for the surgical repair of my ankle was nearly $4K. Had I been wearing those boots then, I believe I would have escaped with only bruises and scrapes ....and a buggered up bike, instead of all that PLUS the busted ankle.

It's your skin, your choice.

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 09-28-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2016 | 01:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by StratDad
I'm a new rider as of this summer, and I've invested in most of the recommended safety gear. Full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, etc. These products all have an obvious value in protecting me.

Over-the-ankle boots show up on most safety equipment lists, but I don't understand the basic value. When I wear these, what is it I'm protecting? Is there a reason to use riding boots vs. over-the-ankle hiking boots? I'm pretty sure that if my Dyna were to start to tip, it wouldn't be my ankle that gave out first. It isn't an experiment I want to try, though.
Besides what has already been said here's a thought for you. If you've ever had your ankle touch your exhaust and feel the pain from getting burnt on it, you'd know why most of us wear boots that cover the ankle and higher up.

Old 09-28-2016 | 01:15 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I now have a pair of SIDI Adventure boots. They were a lot of money at $550.
SIDI Adventure Boots...yikes!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...p-0aAtOT8P8HAQ

I kinda dig these though:

Forma Adventure Boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...WR4aAk138P8HAQ

Old 09-28-2016 | 01:26 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I had a completely different experience then being in an accident. While riding back from Sturgis this year I happened to be behind a fellow rider who happened to run over a flattened metal can of some type. It flipped up and sailed right at me and hit my boot halfway up and completely sliced through the laces and almost through the leather in front. If that had hit my unprotected shin, I'm sure it would have severely cut to the bone if not worse. I have never and will never ride a bike without full length leather boots.
I really don't know why riders won't wear boots while riding. It's not like they are hot or uncomfortable or obstruct the operation of the bike. It just make sense to wear them. Same thing with gloves. I can see not wearing a leather jacket because of the heat.

I see lots of riders wearing tennis shoes or similar type shoes and just shake my head in disbelief.

Old 09-28-2016 | 01:28 PM
dsigrist
Tourer

General hiking boots may be okay; it depends on the boot itself. Quite often hiking boots, and some work boots, have a bigger toe box so getting it under the shifter may be an issue.

We had a student on the range recently who went out and bought a good quality pair of work boots. steel toe and all, but they had a heck of time getting their toe under the shifter. They ended up buying a new pair of "motorcycle" boots and the second day on the range was much easier for them.

If you spent the time, and money, to get other good quality riding gear don't cheap out on the boots. Whatever you end up with make sure they are comfortable with good ankle support and have a slip resistant sole.

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Safety and Over-the-ankle shoes