General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Son's of Anarchy" patch holders only.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14

I would suggest the Harley PC crowd personally mock this poser and his wannabes...
I see alot of club guys riding bikes in this style. They haul the mail too, 100 mph everywhere they go.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
If you do a little research on Sonny, you'll find that he really didn't like Harleys. Back in the day, it was important to the image to ride American made bikes, which meant either Harleys or Indians, so that's what they rode. IIRC, Sonny voices a preference for Honda and/or BMW in his biography (Hell's Angel).
A word of advice, don't believe everything you read.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
jakenok (10-05-2016), jp49 (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 PM
ricallen
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crashone
Why do those risers and bars make me think of a child's tricycle?
For a second there, I thought I was looking at my motorcycle! lol

Old 10-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ricallen
For a second there, I thought I was looking at my motorcycle! lol

Hmmmm. Nice looking bike there. I kind of dig the color combo. I've seen it before.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:46 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,228 Likes on 6,837 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
A word of advice, don't believe everything you read.
Well, firstly, I don't believe everything I read. Secondly, I generally do a little research before I go out on a limb. I've heard from more than a couple of sources that Barger wasn't especially fond of Harleys. Here's a quote attributed to him in a biography written about him around 2000 or so:

"It's always been important for Hell's Angels to ride American-made machines. In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say, "F*** Harley-Davidson. You can buy an ST1100 and the motherf***** will do 110 miles per hour right from the factory all day long ... While it's probably too late to switch over now, it would have been a nice move because Japanese bikes today are so much cheaper and better built. However, Japanese motorcycles don't have as much personality."

You can take it for what it's worth. Or, here's a little advice for you. Do your own research. And, feel free to prove me wrong. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it.

Last edited by martinj; 10-02-2016 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaGlide (10-11-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
Well, firstly, I don't believe everything I read. Secondly, I generally do a little research before I go out on a limb. I've heard from more than a couple of sources that Barger wasn't especially fond of Harleys. Here's a quote attributed to him in a biography written about him around 2000 or so:

"It's always been important for Hell's Angels to ride American-made machines. In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say, "F*** Harley-Davidson. You can buy an ST1100 and the motherf***** will do 110 miles per hour right from the factory all day long ... While it's probably too late to switch over now, it would have been a nice move because Japanese bikes today are so much cheaper and better built. However, Japanese motorcycles don't have as much personality."

You can take it for what it's worth. Or, here's a little advice for you. Do your own research. And, feel free to prove me wrong. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it.
Got some history here I'm not going into but you go right ahead keep believing and buying them books I'm sure Ralph appreciates the continuing royalty checks.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
jakenok (10-05-2016), mjrfd99 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:20 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

The only quotes I ever heard or read was not that HE/They didn't like Harleys, but was that they had issues with the MoCo - you know an image thing.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:20 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
Why do those risers and bars make me think of a child's tricycle?
Or one of those Razr stand-up scooters.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,228 Likes on 6,837 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
The only quotes I ever heard or read was not that HE/They didn't like Harleys, but was that they had issues with the MoCo - you know an image thing.
I've heard that repeatedly as well. However, what I posted earlier was supposed to be a direct quote from Sonny. Like I said, anybody with substantive evidence to the contrary can feel free to dispute.

Just to be clear, I'm not here to spread rumors or start a pissing match, just passing on what I read...

Old 10-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Got some history here I'm not going into but you go right ahead keep believing and buying them books I'm sure Ralph appreciates the continuing royalty checks.
First name basis, huh?

The following users liked this post:
LagunaGlide (10-11-2016)

Quick Reply: "Son's of Anarchy" patch holders only.