General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

deleted

Last edited by OKMICK; 09-13-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I was Told by my local dealer their Sep allotment was pushed back to Oct and their Nov allotment pused to Dec. No idea if this just applies to the local dealer or all dealers. If so, why? I'm not in the market and my dealer knows it, so I feel they have no reason to lie.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If a person cannot come up with at least a 20% down payment, then they have no reason owning an expensive toy in the first place.
07 housing bubble / crash..., mkt crash was predicated on the very same

You think people are any smarter / more disciplined - now.., than then

Hell no

Ghost

Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,080 Likes on 17,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I don't believe that. HD sells the bikes to the dealers who then resell them for more. As long as the dealer is buying enough of them, why would HD care what they sell them for?
Tell you what get your non believing *** out to a couple dealers and try to hustle a price break on a 17 and see what happens, you won't like what you'll be hearing. Moco's trying to deliberately manipulate the market by limiting the number of machines that's going to be available and when they will be. I was told outright by 2 sources directly involved that MSRP will be the minimum pricing standard or future allotments will be in jeopardy. They have to report monthly sales figures to the moco.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:15 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Tell you what get your non believing *** out to a couple dealers and try to hustle a price break on a 17 and see what happens, you won't like what you'll be hearing. Moco's trying to deliberately manipulate the market by limiting the number of machines that's going to be available and when they will be. I was told outright by 2 sources directly involved that MSRP will be the minimum pricing standard or future allotments will be in jeopardy. They have to report monthly sales figures to the moco.

Yep! I've checked a few dealers, the only variable that changes is the freight and prep price. Like most I'd love to get a smoking deal, but I'm fairly certain within 50 miles I'll be content paying msrp. Shoot, I paid msrp for my 01 deuce and haven't regretted it in 15 years.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:59 PM
sierramadre
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No question that it only makes good business sense to match production with consumer demand. Ford had to learn that the hard way. The days of 'if we build it, they will come' are long gone. But Harley can't overtly regulate pricing in a free market or they would be guilty of price fixing and restraint of free trade. That would make the EPA fine look like pocket change. So instead, Harley will do what the good auto companies do. Reward dealers who don't discount bikes with additional or priority allocation of hot products and indirectly encourage other dealers to do the same. Turn and earn as its called in the business. I paid full list for my 2017 but received $3,500 more than wholesale for my trade. A good deal for me and a good deal for them. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Attached Thumbnails Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags-image.jpeg  

Last edited by sierramadre; 09-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

They can shove their freight,setup, & markup. I used to do assembly for H-D of New York City, & I can tell you that NO WAY is the setup worth 1.5K. I could completely uncrate, assemble,fluid up & start a new H-D in under an hour. Anyone who pays freight & setup chargfes like THAT is getting it with no lube.
My days of buying new ANYTHING are over.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 542 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
They can shove their freight,setup, & markup. I used to do assembly for H-D of New York City, & I can tell you that NO WAY is the setup worth 1.5K. I could completely uncrate, assemble,fluid up & start a new H-D in under an hour. Anyone who pays freight & setup chargfes like THAT is getting it with no lube.
Originally Posted by dickey
My days of buying new ANYTHING are over.
If that was the case and everyone thought like you there would be no used market to buy from...everybody would ride em till the wheels fall off send em to the scrap yard and the smelter just like they do cars.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so here is the real deal. the MOCO is not building as many bikes. the smart dealers are going to make deals right now to build allocation. so if you are savy, you will find a dealer willing to make a deal to build future allocation so that they can get more bikes when its peak selling season. this is actually the end of the riding (and selling) season for most of the country. if you don't find a deal now wait until dead of winter and visit a local snow belt dealer. you will find a deal. I personally am going to morrow to look at a 17 flhtk to see if I can close a deal.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When i was looking at a triglide/ 2016 MSRP was $37699 and the 2017 triglide was $39999. The 2017 are gorgeous trikes but could not deal on those. My dealer came off MSRP by $2000, so i got the 2016.
Besides the 17 is the 1st year out and the bugs will have to be worked out.

Quick Reply: Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags