General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by randyp
"Setup" on harleys seems like a rip off. I've seen them come out of the crates - they're already assembled. It takes about 7 minutes to open up the crate and roll it out. I don't know what other things have to be done in terms of adjustments and whatnot. I can't imagine it takes more than 30 minutes - 1 hour.

I've seen other bikes come from whatever factory requiring major assembly - wheels and brakes need to be put on, handlebars put on. Up to 3 hours of assembly for some sport bikes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a several hundred dollar setup fee for any HD just seems like dry-reaming of the customer.

They don't come out of crates anymore. They are strapped down to reusable/stackable metal pallets.

Last edited by captbob; 09-13-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:28 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

The transfer of the bikes from the trailer van to the dealership is something of an orchestrated dance. Several people involved in the delivery and then time spent checking everything and removing the protective tape all over the bikes, installing some of the items that are packed with the bike but not attached and getting it ready to be shown to the customer during the PDI. Here are a couple of picks of the process I recently witnessed on the 2017's. If the M8 engines turn out to be as sophisticated at the shipping pallets Harley developed that get these bikes to the dealers without damage, then we will have a winner folks.

Attached Thumbnails Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags-rkonpallet.jpg   Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags-forklift.jpg  

Last edited by captbob; 09-13-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
They will get financing

What they don't tell ya - if you can't come up with sufficient down payment - you'll be required to carry gap insurance (similar to purchasing a house w/ less than 20% down)

Love it - in debt past your friggin eyeballs

Not me

Ghost
If a person cannot come up with at least a 20% down payment, then they have no reason owning an expensive toy in the first place.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Guys, I have an econ degree and an MBA. Trust me, I understand that this is good old "red in tooth and claw" capitalism at work. Hell, I love capitalism. The Russkies never marketed a bike like a Harley.

My point in starting this thread was that I couldn't believe my eyes and I wondered if this was an anomaly or what.

This certainly validates my decision to buy my 2015 Fat Boy right when the 2016s showed up. I payed 'way below MSRP and got a killer trade on my Sportster as well.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Guys, I have an econ degree and an MBA. Trust me, I understand that this is good old "red in tooth and claw" capitalism at work. Hell, I love capitalism. The Russkies never marketed a bike like a Harley.

My point in starting this thread was that I couldn't believe my eyes and I wondered if this was an anomaly or what.

This certainly validates my decision to buy my 2015 Fat Boy right when the 2016s showed up. I payed 'way below MSRP and got a killer trade on my Sportster as well.
I stopped by the HD dealership last night and checked out the tags on the '17 models. No mark up that I could see. Prep is marked as $300 and freight at $435. This was on a CVO SG.

I also talked to the parts manager and asked if they bumped their parts prices up over retail. He said no way. He could be lying, but I don't think he was. He actually said "we have plenty of margin selling at MSRP". And we can all vouch for that!!

I did the same as you. I purchased my 2015 FLD new in March of 16. They nocked off both prep and freight, and sold me the bike at 3K under MSRP.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I was browsing the 2017s this weekend (no, not in the market; just looking) and I was surprised to see that there was several thousand dollars of dealer markups right on the freaking pricetags. Like this: (numbers approximate)

MSRP $ 18,000

Markup 3,000

Tax XXX

Total XXXXX

I had not seen this since the boom years of the 1980s when cars were in such demand that car dealers could get away with doing this.

If I were in the market I would refuse to pay more than MSRP + accessories, and when I bought my 2015 Fat Boy I did better than this. Is this common?
Still a very common practice.

Hit a Doge dealer and ask for a Hell Cat.

Maybe not common at an H-D Dealer but just about any auto dealer with a vehicle in demand will practice this.

I went thru it when I bought my CVO, I refused to pay mark up but certainly had limited choice when it came to MSRP.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Still a very common practice.

Hit a Doge dealer and ask for a Hell Cat.

Maybe not common at an H-D Dealer but just about any auto dealer with a vehicle in demand will practice this.

I went thru it when I bought my CVO, I refused to pay mark up but certainly had limited choice when it came to MSRP.

Hell Cat is limited production, only limited production in the Harley line is a CVO and even then they are not at all hard to find. Apples to Oranges here

Old 09-13-2016, 03:10 PM
rgk
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Statistics suggest that the level of motorcycle sales in the U.S. has been on a long downward trend. The buyer population is aging and decreasing in numbers. IMO, excessive prices will cost sales in the long term. The local Indian dealers here in Atlanta are discounting heavily and enjoying good sales. Virtually every Indian sale, IMO, comes at the expense of a Harley sale.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by rothmans
So just spoke to my contacts today, TwiZted you were right about what you said in the other threads. HD is watching all dealers on profit margins and what their profit percentage is on 17s, not sure if that means they can not budge off MSRP but I think that is about the gist of it

I don't believe that. HD sells the bikes to the dealers who then resell them for more. As long as the dealer is buying enough of them, why would HD care what they sell them for?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stel67
Hell Cat is limited production, only limited production in the Harley line is a CVO and even then they are not at all hard to find. Apples to Oranges here

I disagree. It's the exact same idea. And, the point is not necessarily how limited production there is, but rather how much demand there is for it. Sure, the HellCat likely has more, but that makes the difference just a matter of degree.

Quick Reply: Dealer Markup right on the 2017 pricetags