General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts
Default Biketoberfest

Considering going this year for the first time. Would like to hear what I should expect for weather,hotel prices and where to pick a hotel? I would probably only stay 2 days then head back home.
My main concern is bike safety at night when I am sleeping. I still have to clear a few things before I know if I can go or not. If I can I would like to be prepared.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

If you've waited this long, hotels might be pricey. I stay on A1A, in Daytona Beach Shores. We use Marriott points and don't pay a dime to stay right on the beach (perks of both of us traveling for a living).

The weather is usually just about perfect. A little chilly riding out of Ohio, but that's the be expected in October. Haven't had any issues with bike security.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

From Behind had it right. I haven't been to Biketoberfest in a while but at this point I would guess that hotels are either 1) REALLY expensive or 2) a looooong way from the action. I'd just do a search for available rooms and be prepared to be 25-35 miles out, that didn't used to be unusual at this stage of the game. You might get lucky! As for weather you'll still have warm/hot days but the evenings should be really nice and the daily thunderstorms are starting to thin out quite a bit. I never experienced any real security issues. Best of luck, I used to like the fall fest better than bike week, if you go be safe and have a great time.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:23 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I prefer to be north of Main Street, but definitely on A1A. All the hotels have bike parking, the lots are full of bikes, never had a problem but just empty your saddlebags into your room at night. The bikes get covered in salt, most hotels put out towels for wiping down the bikes, they sure need a good wash when you get home. I love Destination which takes a good few hours, ride The Loop, then go to Beach Street. There's also the Racetrack area. And of course Main Street. 2 nights is plenty.

Usually the weather is good, a little for chilly for me but you're coming from further north so you might find it warm.

I have never had a problem getting a hotel right up to the day we're leaving sometimes after making a last minute decision.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

October is way less crowded than the spring event and hotels should be easy to secure.
(I go twice a year to Daytona and do the camping thing at the Cackleberry Campground.)

Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

One other thing to watch out for us the advertised hotel room rate. A lot of hotels show you the "first night" price which is then always lower than the rest of the nights. If you're only staying two nights probably no big deal.

uklauren made some good points about the salt, you're used to salt coming from up north but the salt blowing off the water down there gets everywhere. Make sure you give the bike a real thorough wash when you get home.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

We go to the march rally every year and to biketoberfest about every 3 years. Its really grown! Last time I was there, it was definitely well over a 150k bikers. The locals aren't as stressed as in March and the weather is usually great. Harley shows off all their new bikes in their pavilion which is cool.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren

Usually the weather is good, a little for chilly for me but you're coming from further north so you might find it warm.

Perspective is everything, isn't it? Usually I'm confused when I see the Floridians putting on jackets in the evening. Bit then again, it's often in the 40s or 50s when I roll out of Ohio!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Perspective is everything, isn't it? Usually I'm confused when I see the Floridians putting on jackets in the evening. Bit then again, it's often in the 40s or 50s when I roll out of Ohio!
40's is winter to us. 50's are cold. But then again we live in the high 90's to low 100's in the summer.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Camped many times, $16/night. Small tent, drop cloth, pack light, you don't need most of the junk. The only thing that is a must have for sleeping is ear plugs. Some of the boys come back to camp late, and like to impress everyone with their new "stage 1". Aholes.

http://www.holidaytravelrvpark.com/News/13/category/106

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest