General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product names and their origin

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:40 PM
rcrown
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product names and their origin

So was spending some money on my new bike today at Harley and noticed the new Defiance accessories. I was curious where Harley Davidson comes up with some of their product names. We have Willie G, Bar and Shield, Defiance, Live to Ride, etc. I ended up buying some defiance stuff though.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Harley has two old geezers, Phil and Ed, that sit in a room coming up with product names. They each make $500k a year.

Very similar to how drug companies come up with their names.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Harley has two old geezers, Phil and Ed, that sit in a room coming up with product names. They each make $500k a year.

Drug companies make up the names by throwing Scabble tiles and they pick up a certain number of the ones facing down...there's the name.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:16 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

1. Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
    Drug companies make up the names by throwing Scabble tiles and they pick up a certain number of the ones facing down...there's the name.
That's not far from the truth. Our company is coming out with a significant update for one of our best selling products, and that's pretty much how we did it LOL! BTW I hate the new name, but we sell a sh!tload of them to the Middle East, and they "think different" there...

Old 09-03-2016, 05:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
That's not far from the truth. Our company is coming out with a significant update for one of our best selling products, and that's pretty much how we did it LOL! BTW I hate the new name, but we sell a sh!tload of them to the Middle East, and they "think different" there...
I said that as a joke but because the names aren't a real name, it only made sense to me. But I've always thought that.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Phil

I chose the names Phil and Ed randomly. They were the first to come to mind. I was by no means inferring you are an old geezer.

I would never insult a moderator like that.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Because owning one of millions of all the Harley-Davidsons made makes us unique in the world defiant to the rest of society.

I would bet that I'm not far off on how they came up with that. lol

Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I've done some online surveys about pharmaceutical names, they have you listen to a whole bunch of them and ask what you might associate with those made up words, where you would put the emphasis (beginning middle or end) and whether they are too hard to pronounce or sound like other meds. And I got paid to do those surveys.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,825 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I've done some online surveys about pharmaceutical names, they have you listen to a whole bunch of them and ask what you might associate with those made up words, where you would put the emphasis (beginning middle or end) and whether they are too hard to pronounce or sound like other meds. And I got paid to do those surveys.
There are actually independent companies whose sole product is coming up with attractive names for pharmaceuticals just for those very reasons.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
There are actually independent companies whose sole product is coming up with attractive names for pharmaceuticals just for those very reasons.

For some reason they love the letters Z, X, C and S somewhere in the names.

Quick Reply: Product names and their origin