General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As I see it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default As I see it.

I have been riding for over 44 years. There has always been a bike in the shed or garage. I was a biker before I was anything else. I am not a so called 1 percenter, I have ridden with some and would ride with them again. I wrench on my own because we had too, to stay on the road. I don't put someone down who can't wrench. in their case, it would end up being a disaster. I have been fortunate to be around some good people who have taught me many things and I have an obligation to pass the knowledge to those who wish to listen. I am a practical person in that I practice what I have learned and have spent a number of years doing so. Not everyone will agree with me, but at least you start thinking. What I say is fact, no BS! From my number of years riding, you can see I have been doing it long before it was fashionable. There were times when it was my only transportation in all kinds of weather in the mid-west. When I started riding, there were so few of us, that if you saw someone at the side of the road, you stopped to offer aid. I guess you can say, I'm hard core! There is a Biker code, it is unwritten, some parts are more fashionable than other parts. The Fashionable ones seem to be when a ride is put on to aid a fellow rider or collect "Toys for Tots". Most of you do this, but you don't live the other parts of the code.
Our world of motorcycles is growing daily. Some have been away for a while, others are first timers. Some are older while others are young. We all come from different walks of life, different education and different professions, wanting to ride. I think that motorcycle laws, our history and all that is involved in owning a motorcycle, along with rider training are important subjects. I don't think that the weekend rider spends enough time and distance in the saddle to become a good rider. I salute them in their want to become a rider. Just because you own a bike and a T'shirt, doesn't make you a biker.
I have lobbied in several states against Helmet laws. Some before ABATE was even thought of. I am not against Helmets, I am against someone telling me that I have to wear one. It is a choice. There are other pieces of legislation on motorcycles besides helmets. Property Taxes, road taxes, fuel taxes, inspections, parking, highway rights, just to name a few. I am a member of ABATE, MRF and AMA, there is a need for numbers. If you are going to be part of the motorcycle community, become an active member of that community. Get involved in legislation that affects what you love to do. Don't sit on your *** and expect someone else to do all the work. For God's sake, if you have done nothing, don't bitch when you loose those rights.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: As I see it.

Are these your final words and testament? Amen. j/k

Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

great point se, I think alot of new riders on this forum will learn alot about "the code" by listening to you ol' timers. Better for them to learn it here and keep it the tradition going. They gotta learn it somewhere! Heck, I'll admit I've learned alot here myself. I by no mmeans consider myself a true biker, I have been aound bikes dirt/street most of my life, I just love them and love to ride'm. But I don't think I could be "biker" enough to acually be a true biker. If that makes any sense, I know my place.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle
If you are going to be part of the motorcycle community, become an active member of that community. Get involved in legislation that affects what you love to do. Don't sit on your *** and expect someone else to do all the work. For God's sake, if you have done nothing, don't bitch when you loose those rights.
Sadly, the above is the route that the vast majority of individuals seem to take. And it's not solely exclusive to the motorcycle community. Many are reluctant to put forth the time, energy, and what not necessary to fight for those causes with which they believe. I agree that folks should become active participants in matters which impact their way of life. Further to the point, folks should never lose sight of the fact that -"The pen will always be mightier than the sword." Like the gentleman said, GET INVOLVED!.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Well stated.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

Great post Jerry, I would love to ride with a
fellow motorcyclest/biker like you!

I ride a bunch in the NC.SC.TN.GA.VA.WV. mountains,
most every weekend, in the winter I ride some in your
area when weather is bad in the mountains which isn't
very often.

My Shop/Cell# is 704-236-2885 if your in the area?
I'm in Fort Mill SC.

I'm heading out with the wife for a 10 ride in the
mountains tomorrow, if your around give me a
call, the wife and I would be happy to buy you
dinner some where

Ride Safe my friend, we can't afford to loose any
of you, there isn't many of you left these days.....

Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
BaggerSteve
Cruiser

You got it right brother. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on,,,ride on....