General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

security fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,012 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
More power too ya man, but every single one of those issues was because the owner was an idiot and did not either learn the code, or simply set it to something they already knew....
Another downside to the fob is it gives said idiots a false sense of security so nobody bothers to actually lock their bikes when they walk off and before the arms start flapping everyone I know who has the system does this. They never turn the key off or hang a fork or disc lock on they all rely on the gizmo. That's a bad habit or maybe my knuckles are just used to dragging the ground, who knows.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:53 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I've got one bike with it and one without. Unless you put the alarm on it the fob is pretty much useless. You still have to use the key to lock it if you don't want someone turning on the ignition. Sure, the bike won't start, but it will still run down the battery...
I can live with a drained battery much easier than a bike that simply rode away. And yes you still need to lock it for full protection. I do run the siren on my bikes, and don't lock them when I run into a store/gas station or in comfortable surroundings and I don't have to worry about someone hoping on and riding off. And with my key being attached to my FOB I never worry about loosing either, but if I do, or the battery dies or I'm getting RF interference I know how to start my bike. It's simply a tool at my disposal, and just like to umpteen thousands of dollars of tools in the garage, it is only as good as the individual using it. A window licker with great tools, is still a window licker!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:16 PM
sr230mike
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
I can live with a drained battery much easier than a bike that simply rode away. And yes you still need to lock it for full protection. I do run the siren on my bikes, and don't lock them when I run into a store/gas station or in comfortable surroundings and I don't have to worry about someone hoping on and riding off. And with my key being attached to my FOB I never worry about loosing either, but if I do, or the battery dies or I'm getting RF interference I know how to start my bike. It's simply a tool at my disposal, and just like to umpteen thousands of dollars of tools in the garage, it is only as good as the individual using it. A window licker with great tools, is still a window licker!
RF interference?? Does this happen ? I am hoping for a serious answer.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,924 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by sr230mike
Yes ... There have been many postings of a scooter that wouldn't "communicate" until it was moved away from the interference source.

The FOB can be a pain in the posterior as "TwiZted" alluded to. More than once I've been victim of moving the scooter in the garage and having to run frantically to find the FOB before the thing goes nuts. If I had it to do over again I'd have deleted the security system when I got the scooter.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 349 Likes on 149 Posts

From reading these postings, I feel much better about wearing tin foil on my head under my helmet. This protects me from RF interference, obviously. No issues here!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:59 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sr230mike
FWIW, I've never heard of it.

Like some others here, I replace fob batteries annually, and I've never had a problem with them.

Last edited by PPBART; 09-03-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,924 Likes on 19,371 Posts
Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Losing a fob? Like losing your car keys? They both stay on my pockets and when I change jeans, they go into the new ones. And I never take them out until then. So I'll never lose mine.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:22 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the interference your talking about. My wallet has the RF blocker and if my key is sitting up against it sometimes it won't recognize I have it, or it interrupts the comms between the bike and the fob.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 07:27 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I've had RF interference twice, both at the exact same places my keyless entry in my car wouldn't work either. Like I said you just have to learn the system. I always have my key/FOB on me during riding season, so I never have to worry when I move my bike around in the garage. And if by the freak chance I don't I simply put the code in. And during winter, when it's stored on the lift I just put it in transport mode, and I can roll it around at will without any worry.

Quick Reply: security fob