Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Rktect1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended warranty? Worth it?

Trying to decide if the Extended warranty would be worth it for me. Looking at the 2016 Road King

How much is it? I saw somewhere about $1900 for five years. Is that correct?

JFYI. I think that if you are going to super customize your bike by yourself, this may not make sense. But I am not very mechanical and plan on doing no modifications to the stock bike other than a back rest or similar things that take no real knowledge to perform.

What about the service plans? Worth it?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 AM
tew3006
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last bike I got I got a 3 year extended warranty, because a friend had to replace his engine on his Electra while I was still looking for a bike. It only cost him fifty bucks.
When I bought my first new Harley in 2003 the salesman talked me into buying the service plan. I ride about 1000 miles a month. When the time limit ran out I had only used half of it and I ate the rest of it. I will never buy the service plan again.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:11 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

In my opinion no,you'll be getting a bunch of answers that will be just the opposite of mine.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Some people swear by them, others not so much.

I am 65 years old and have never bought an extended warranty on ANYTHING ever.

Figure out how much the extended warranty on ANY item would cost per month, don't get the warranty and put that monthly payment "faithfully" in a savings account every month.
I'm willing to bet you'll come out ahead of the game.

Even if you have a major repair, you've probably saved enough to pay for it out of your savings account.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Look at it as a bet. Sometimes you win, sometimes not

If you buy the EW and the bike doesn't break, you lose. If it does, you win.

Also the opposite.

I've never bought the extended warrantee. I figure if it lasts through the basic warrantee period, most likely it'll survive. I also believe it's one of the biggest "profit centers" for whoever services that EW.

Some people need that peace of mind that an EW provides. As such, it's a judgement call only you can make

Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,674 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Look at it as a bet. Sometimes you win, sometimes not
A bet with terrible odds. The house always wins in the end.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got a great deal on a 2015 Ultra Limited. Bought it from Eagle Rider - it was a rental bike. It's in great shape but has 30,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the store I bought it from didn't have ALL the service records ... they apparently don't share records between one Eagle Rider location and another.

Seemed like a good investment to me to get a 2 year warranty ... peace of mind to go along with a nice ride.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Rktect1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never bought one for a car nor appliance either. But i know a lot of guys can do their own work on bikes. I cant so it throws me off a bit. I can do basic stuff like oil changes or battery changes etc but not too much motor or electrical stuff.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

9 times out of 10, warranties are a waste of $$$ whether it's motorcycles, appliances, etc. Ron

Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 804 Posts

It's a total crap shoot. In my case, it paid off. When I was setting up the financing for Reaper, they offered me the EW. At first I wasn't going to take it, but they offered a reduced interest rate. I did the math, and the amount of interest I would save offset the EW 100%. So essentially, I got it for free.

Even if I had paid for it, over the years it paid for itself because Reaper had a bad habit of eating starter clutches. She broke 4 of them in 1 summer alone (that turned out to be a bad battery, but all the repairs were covered under the EW)! There were a few other minor repairs done under the EW as well.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Extended warranty? Worth it?